Quad WLToys V959 stability

MikeRailton

I have a question for owners of this machine, just how stable is it? I've been trying to hold mine in a steady hover but can't seem to achieve this. It always drifts a bit, even indoors. It doesn't move very much, just a little bit in one direction or other. I'm also having difficulty keeping it at any given hight - but I suspect that's just a lack of practise. I have to admit that the blades are getting a bit battered due to all of the hard landings, so that could be the cause. Also, I could just be expecting too much of this aircraft. I'm a novice flyer, so I don't know what I can expect - other than to mess up a lot while I learn.

I still have the original spare set of blades, but I'm loathe to put them on yet as most of my flying is done in our barn - it's wet and windy here in the UK just now - and there are a lot of times when I hit one of the many obstacles. I have some spares coming, but they are a long way away. Is a little bit of drifting normal?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Props that are nicked and bent up are not conducive to good flying! Not to mention that there not ballenced and eventually will take out a motor bearing if bad enough. I would change the props and find a better place to fly! I do not own one of these but there should be a gain setting somewhere. Probubly needs adjustment.

Lee

Its not going to stay exactly in one place Mike.
Your always going to have to make minor adjustments to keep it steady both vertically and horizontally.
I found that the throttle control is very sensitive, which does make it hard to keep it from jumping up and down a bit, especially if you are a novice.
Keep at it mate, and it will get better :)

MikeRailton

Its not going to stay exactly in one place Mike.
Your always going to have to make minor adjustments to keep it steady both vertically and horizontally...

I thought as much. I expect I'm noticing the movement more now because I'm only flying slowly or hovering while I decide where to go next. When the weather improves I'll be flying mostly outside, and a little quicker, so I wont notice the small drift.

Stambo

Good props well balanced makes a huge difference to these things.
I have a tutorial somewhere on here about how to balance the blades with a laser.
I would link to it but I am on my IPad which I am still learning to use.
Works well once you get the hang of it.
Makes a noticeable difference to video quality too.

As Lee said, they will never hover totally steady. You will always have to give a bit of control.
The throttle is really touchy, you will get used to it with practice.

@Breeze400. No gain adjustment on these. It is a $60 RTF. They do extremely well for the price.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Like I said I've never had one. Big difference between $60 and the thousand or so I've got in my qav500! With the GPS I can just turn it on and walk away. Come back in 5 minutes and it will still be in the same spot I left it! Lol.

Top Bottom