Quad WL Toys VL 959 questions

MotoXXX

Hello,
First off if you own one of these you know the manual that comes with it is horrible. I cannot figure out how to make this thing do flips at all. The salesman in the store showed me the day I bought it three weeks ago, but that is a 3 hour drive to that store. Also the pics I took with it look horrible, is that normal for this camera? The videos I shot looked pretty good though. Also what does the lower right hand button do? Only takes pics or what?
Thanks for any help.

Lee

If its the same layout as the 929 i had then, the top left button if i remember right changes the flight characteristics.
You have the option of 20% to 100%. The higher the % the more manoeuvrable it becomes.
For flips you need to set it to 100%. When you give a sudden full stick input in any direction, it will flip.
For normal flying around, have it set to another percentage or you will find it flipping when you don't want to.

As for the bottom button I don't know. I will look at the manual, but on the WL quad i had, some of the buttons didn't do anything.

MotoXXX

Thanks Lee, I seem to remember the salesman saying that the upper right button had something to do with flips but I just can't remember everything he said. I do remember him saying you pull the right hand stick all the way in any direction and let it return to center on its own it will flip but I can't remember when to push the upper right button.

Lee

You push it to show 100% when you want to do flips. Other than that, leave it at 20,40 or 60% for normal flying, depending on your skill level. The percentage relates to the amount of movement the aircraft will make in relation to stick movement. Its also called Throw. So 20% would mean at full stick movement, the quad will only see 20%.
I found 20% to be way to dead as a setting. For the novice 40% is a good setting and 60% for more advanced flyers. 100% i only use for flips.

Stambo

It depends on what version you have. There are several board revisions.
On mine the top right shoulder button initiates flip mode.
You push it and your next full stick movement causes it to flip.
It then resets so if you want to flip again you have to push it again.

I agree with Lee, 20% is a waste of time.
40% or 60% for normal flight and inside.
100% for outside to throw it around a bit.
Mine will not flip at 100% unless you hit the shoulder button.

I have modified mine so I can fly with the 9x radio and still use the video camera.
I have done a tutorial on how to do this, I think I posted a link to it on here but I am doing this from my IPad and it's a bit harder to find.
Can not get it to flip with the 9x though. V949, now that's a different story.
Next time I am on my PC I will add some links if you want.

By the way, it's a V959 by WL Toys, your heading says VL959. :)

Last edited:

MotoXXX

It depends on what version you have. There are several board revisions.
On mine the top right shoulder button initiates flip mode.
You push it and your next full stick movement causes it to flip.
It then resets so if you want to flip again you have to push it again.

I agree with Lee, 20% is a waste of time.
40% or 60% for normal flight and inside.
100% for outside to throw it around a bit.
Mine will not flip at 100% unless you hit the shoulder button.

I have modified mine so I can fly with the 9x radio and still use the video camera.
I have done a tutorial on how to do this, I think I posted a link to it on here but I am doing this from my IPad and it's a bit harder to find.
Can not get it to flip with the 9x though. V949, now that's a different story.
Next time I am on my PC I will add some links if you want.

By the way, it's a V959 by WL Toys, your heading says VL959. :)

I didn't realize I put V959 on there. Well I did go flying again today and did several videos and did flip it several times but the last flight didn't go so well LOL. I broke off one of the struts that has the motor in it. Where is the best place to get parts other than waiting 3 or 4 weeks to get them from Banggood in China?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and also, mine doesn't have 20%...it has 40, 60, 80 & 100%.

Stambo

The only place I get parts for these is Banggood but I am in New Zealand and any shops here seem to put about 300% on hobby stuff.
Someone on here may know of where to get some in the US.
I would suggest getting some from Banggood ordered now so that if you find some a bit closer it's a bonus.
Then when the Banggood ones turn up you will have spares.
I would also suggest buying the booms complete with motors as well as some separate booms.
That way you can get in the air much quicker and you will have a spare motor or 2 for the future.
When you have time you can assemble the new booms on to the motors.
Be careful you don't pinch those little wires

When it takes nearly a month for stuff to arrive from China, you can never have too many spares.

Oh and also, mine doesn't have 20%...it has 40, 60, 80 & 100%.

They have obviously realised what a waste of time 20% was.

Is yours like mine, push the button to flip?

Link for clockwise motor set.

Lee

That version sounds much better than mine.
I hated that i couldn't use 100% as a flying mode because it would just flip all the time.
A push button is better, but i would just prefer a full throw constant rotation to allow you to flip when you want.

MotoXXX

Yes, push and hold upper right button while using the right joystick to flip.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question. I crashed today and the right rear motor quit working. When I pulled the carbon fiber rod out of the main frame the wires were broken right where they come out of the carbon fiber. I spliced them and taped it up and it works now. My question is.....every new motor wire I see for sale online has only the receiver board plug on it with bare wires on the other end. I take it I have to splice a new one anyway? Or is there a way to put the old plug on the new wires?

- - - Updated - - -

I also meant to ask about my new 5 into 1 adapter for charging batteries. When you have 5 batteries charging does it take 5 hours to charge them? Mine have been on for over 2 hours and the charge indicator is still red.

Lee

What charger do you have?

For the charging, it will depend on how much juice it can pump out. If for example you have a 300mah battery and the charger takes an hour to charge it, then unless you have an adjustable charger 5 batteries are going to take 5 times longer to charge.

Think of it like a tap running water at a constant rate. Filling one glass takes 10 seconds. Filling two takes 20 seconds and so on.
But if you can increase the amount of running water, that time will be reduced.

MotoXXX

Yes it did take 5 hours then I put 2 more batteries on and it took 2 hours. Now I have another question. I crashed and broke my wooden temporary replacement carbon fiber piece and replaced it with another wooden one and now I have no power to the motors. When I plug in the battery the leds on the canopy light up, the green camera light comes on but that is it. The board doesn't light up and the camera will not turn on and blink red. I'm lost now. Did my board take a crap already?

Stambo

Yes it did take 5 hours then I put 2 more batteries on and it took 2 hours. Now I have another question. I crashed and broke my wooden temporary replacement carbon fiber piece and replaced it with another wooden one and now I have no power to the motors. When I plug in the battery the leds on the canopy light up, the green camera light comes on but that is it. The board doesn't light up and the camera will not turn on and blink red. I'm lost now. Did my board take a crap already?

Unusual to be the board but possible. Mine has had some fairly hefty wrecks but it still works.
Rebind the tx to the quad. Until you have the solid red on the board there is no coms between TX and quad.
This might be a silly suggestion but make sure the throttle is right down on the TX, including the trim.
Also try a different battery.
Check your repairs in case of a short.
Unplug all motors and try them one at a time.

As far as the charging is concerned, if you are using the stock charger, charge only one battery at a time.
And don't fly them until they fly no more. Use a timer and run to no more than 8 minutes of gentle flight or 6 to 7 minutes of aggressive flight. You can adjust this to suit yourself but if you look after them they last a bit longer.
As the batteries get older they will lose their ability to hold charge.
When they drop below 5 minutes I tend to write them off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom