Wireless Range Extenders

bigone5500

I have a Linksys E4200 router. I live in an older house which was built with nothing but brick (father in law was a brick mason). It's very hard for wireless signals to get through the walls into my living room. I want to know what range extenders are decent. I don't want to spend a lot on one but want one that will do the job reliably. It only needs to extend about 25'. I have never dealt with one so I don't know anything about them really except they take a wireless signal and send it out farther.

Prerequisites:
1. Reliable
2. Cheap

RandyDSok

I'd probably suggest using something from Linksys to help avoid possible compatibility issues... as well as something with the same capabilities or better. Also consider that for the extender/access point to work well where you want the signal... will itself need to be in a location it can receive a good signal itself... If you have a smartphone, you can use it to test the wifi signal strength in the locations you are considering.

Most wireless routers can also work as an extender/access point but it would be wise to verify that before you jump into something. Another option, is to actually run an ethernet wire from one of the ports on the initial router over to the area that you want to place the extender/access point at, then you won't have to concern yourself with it getting a good wifi signal to repeat.

Tony

Staff member
Do you have attic or crawl space access? If so I would highly suggest just running cat5e to each end of your house and putting another router on there. Be sure to put it on a different subnet though.

RandyDSok

I agree that running an ethernet ( cat5e or better ) is the best way to go... but you use the same subnet otherwise you won't be able to share files and/or printers... you just want each router to be on different channels and use the same SSID so when going from room to room, when your device changes access points, it's a seamless transition.

On the second router ( if using one )... connect the cable ( if using an ethernet cable ) to the LAN side and disable the DCHP so the primary router has control over the assigned IP's to the devices. Most routers have an option to work as an access point in the settings. Check the manual for more info for setup since each model will differ slightly.

On the 2.4Ghz side... only use channels 1, 6, or 11... otherwise you end up with "crosstalk" that can affect the performance of the wifi connection.... this isn't an issue with the 5ghz radio as long as they aren't using the same channel they won't interfere with each other. Most newer routers will automatically just use those 3 channels but older models may not.

bigone5500

I have two other routers and have tried to use them as extenders. I have not tried cabling them as I am a lazy slob...LOL!

I did some research online to figure out how to use a router as an access point but I couldn't get it to work. Are you guys WiFi gurus???

RandyDSok

I did some research online to figure out how to use a router as an access point but I couldn't get it to work. Are you guys WiFi gurus???

It depends on the router as to what steps you need to take... or if it even supports that feature. It doesn't require a guru to follow instructions... :D

bigone5500

True but it does require someone who understands it...and that's not me. I'll be purchasing an extender. I'll look around a little more but I think I'll end up getting the Linksys one above.

I just don't have the 'want to' to figure it out. I guess I'm just lazy about it.

RandyDSok

I just don't have the 'want to' to figure it out. I guess I'm just lazy about it.

I'm not sure that you aren't just trading learning how to do it... with learning how to do it for another product. I doubt the steps are all that different since it's the same technology.

Tony

Staff member
Look to see if you can put DD-WRT on the routers you are wanting to use as extenders. I'm running 3 bridges on my network right now, all of them running DD-WRT.

bigone5500

These are the two I have:

Belkin F5D7234-4 V5
Netgear N150 WNR1000 V3

Both were given to me so I really know nothing about them. But they do work.

RandyDSok

Both are older units... The Belkin is only capable of up to Wireless G but does support being setup as an access point. Still, it's limited to only using 2.4Ghz. The Netgear is slightly better allowing Wireless N connections but by default doesn't seem to support being setup as an access point ( with the included firmware ). It's also only a 2.4Ghz router.

I'd recommend a newer device. If so... personally I'd go with a router that has access point features included. Often they will run about the same cost ( if they are of equivalent quality ) and if your primary router goes down, you'd also have a router as a backup ( once it was reconfigured again as a router ).

Tony

Staff member
If he is just accessing the router for interwebz, unless he has gigabit internet, G should be just fine.

bigone5500

My reason is to get a better signal to the tv that I just repaired. It must have a weak antenna as it can't hold a signal. My cell phone works pretty good but could be better. So G is probably ok.

liquid1

I just put in google wifi it’s 3 pods and Best Buy has deals on the kit I control it with a phone app on iPhone works great to boost wifi all trough our house and deck and outside love it so far, The PS4 was sucking down the signal before setup in 15 minutes and I’m just a country boy our 12 year old daughter did help lol no side effects so far before our Intranet would kick out once a day or more our main box is in middle of house it’s been well worth the up fit cost

Attachments

• 08BA277D-76B7-4EB2-AF64-9A8EF5FAFD5F.jpeg
    08BA277D-76B7-4EB2-AF64-9A8EF5FAFD5F.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 2

bigone5500

Well I bought the Netgear. I'll get it Tuesday. I'll post back with my findings. I do like the fact that it connects to your existing WiFi to boost range instead of having to use a cable.

Top Bottom