window shopping

murankar

Staff member
I have started looking at transmitters today. I got board during lunch. Went to hh website and started looking at radios. I am not partial to any one radio at this point.

I started with JR and was looking at the X9503 with rx no servos. The cost is around $350 USD new.

I already know enough about Specktrum at this point. I did glance at them just to get some prices. While there I also looked at the prices of the hi tech Aurora series. Mostly the 9 ch.

With all of these I tried to stay away from the 6 channel radios due to maybe going fbl in the future. I know that if I stick with MSH brand the brain will work on Specktrum radios with two satellite rxs. I believe that it will work on Futaba also. I just can't see paying a premium for a Futaba unless its ready link read. I still need to look at the Futabas more deeply before considering that as an option.

I will probably know I April if I am going to save for a radio, so I do have time to look.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
X9503 is what I have and It is PHENOMINAL!! Love this radio.. So awesome... man! I got a very awesome deal on it.. I bet you can too :) 350 is a bit high.. depends on how old. Only get the DSMX ones. it came in DSM2 also :)

murankar

Staff member
I believe it to be the DSMx. I also saw the dmss and dsm2 models. That price was from a main and its just a ball park. I just took a brief look at the price. I maybe mixing it with another Jr.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i would never pay that much.. lol get one used.. heehee.. thats what i do :) they come with 3 yr wrranty. :)

i got mine for 275 shipped

RandyDSok

Horizon Hobby's listed price for the JR X9503 is $550 ... not $350, so I'm guessing you are quoting a price from a different shop. The Futaba 8FGH by itself is available for $370, with a 8CH RX about $470 and actually has 14ch available and almost unlimited model memory if you add a SD card to it... Both are very good upper end radios and I suspect you'd be happy with either. I'm usually not worried about the number of channels a radio has, but the other options it provides that only come with the higher end radios sporting more channels.

The JR X9503 is a DSM2/DSMX compatible radio... it is not compatible with Futaba RX's etc

I've heard a lot of good reports about the Hitech Aurora's... but one report that I see a lot of is the high latency issues. If they haven't addressed this issue yet... I'd steer away from these for the moment.

Rumor-mill info that you should keep an eye out on... Xtreme Power Systems has been working on a 16/32ch 2.4Ghz. radio for quite some time called the XPS-3216. Issues getting the technology FCC certified ( which I believe has been resolved now ) and infighting with the company partners has caused much of the delays. The main technology person recently bought out the other partners in order to allow the company to move ahead and start ( restart ) producing products again. Up to now, they were focusing on aftermarket add-on products for use with other brands of radios such as modules, receivers etc using their Xtremelink technology... One of their most popular products has been their 6ch Nano-T receivers which are a little larger than a US dime in size and work as well as full range receivers despite the fact they were made for park flier sized aircraft. The expected retail price for the radio is going to run somewhere around $250 - $300 when ( or if ) it is finally released. See Xtreme Power Systems for info on their current products.

murankar

Staff member
Now that I am on my lappy I will be able to really see what it I would like to consider. I was just looking On my phone and with battery life being limited I really could not check stuff out. Right now the tow main TX's will more than likely be Specktrum and JR unless I find something interesting with others. My target range for channels is 7 to 9, so I can use dual satellites for most fbl systems and not break the bank at the same time.

I will keep my eye out for the Xtreme Power Systems. By the time I am ready to order it maybe out for sale. I will still be open to any other suggestions.

RandyDSok

As long as your RX has dual antenna's to provide diversity in the reception... satellite RX's do little but provide additional income for the vendor selling them.... They do come in handy if you have a full carbon fiber fuse or other large obstruction to the signal so the satellite can do the primary receiving while the main RX distributes the signals to the servo's

Don't hold your breath for the XPS system... it has been in the works a long time already and their first priority is going to get the receivers back into full production so they can get their money flow going again... then they will finally start working on releasing the radio. Still, these are an enticing future product, which is why I at least mentioned them.

murankar

Staff member
I have noticed that fbl systems with two sats are a lot easier to get installed and set up. I am not sure how the msh brain works with an rx. I still have to finish looking at thist product while i continue to look at my options.

murankar

Staff member
Ok, the three listed rxs as right that will work with the brain are sbus, dsmx and dsm2. So I think I maybe looking at Specktrum and jr. Now the hunt begins.

Lee

Matthius, The brain is the exact same unit as the IKON i have. Brain, Ikon and Ebar all come from the same factory. If you order enough of them you can put your own name on the product. They do take two DSMX Sats.
Also the IKON is cheaper than the Brain. I got mine for 167Euros and the Brain was 199Euros

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Just found out that Bobby jacks is selling Ikon and beast and all for lower than online price.. like IKON brand new for 200 NIP!!

I am seriously considering IKON or BRAIN for the 700 now. and Also using the hyperion phas sensor for governor on Ikon

Lee

Thats a good price. I got mine from a place in Ireland About $10 more. I will be setting mine up with out the GOV until i get the Hobbywing Sensor.

murankar

Staff member
I just read something on a forum about how the Nikon and brain are still being developed. Of course anything new like this has to go through its paces before they are near perfect. When that happens I would expect prices to go up. I should get in now while there cheap.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Not exactly.. That way we can say beastx or align is still in development too.. as new software changes a LOT.. :) . .its software intensive.. Read this... Lol its BEEN Through its paces. :D

here: EXCLUSIVE: MSH Brain FBL System Info | RC Heli Resource

And that was published 21st or May '12. :)

I know these pro pilots do get paid to do a lot of this. But Bert Kammerer .. I follow.. And this article is what tipped the scales for me :) Still researching.. just watching the setup video and it seems very simple.. as far as I can see.. that is important for me.. I dont have the money to go VBAR.. but even if I did. Man that thing was COMPLICATED!

murankar

Staff member
I read that one too. I read that before the I found the forum post. That article is making me go hmmm.

Top Bottom