General will someone please help me with my concept 30

concept30

Hey guys, i think i might have to replace the clutch, which i dont know how to replace. so I hope the clutch is not the problem, so i shot a video of what it is doing, I dont think the RPMs are going fast enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the clutch is bad on the video. However I can try to help you test it. Fire up the heli, hold your hand on the head and give it full throttle for 1 second. You should feel a good amount of torque trying to spin teh head. If you just barely feel it, then your clutch is bad. On the end of the engine where the fan is, there is also the clutch bell. Under that bell is the clutches. You will need to find the clutches that will fit that engine. Hope this helps. I'm sure Gaba will have a lot to add to this.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Like tony said it might very well be the clutch or the liner . Nothing else can cause it. Sounded like you were actually either at or close to full throttle in that video testing it out and it was barely at any headspeed and if you had blades it probably would have been slower. It could very well be a burnt clutch. That will mean you will have to remove the main head, shaft and gear and that should be a starting point to exposing the clutch bell on this. See if you can remove the engine by dropping it down from down under by removing the landing gear.... In many older helis the clutch system was all a part of the engine including the clutch bell and clutch itself compared to the new ones where the clutch sits on the engine and bell sits on the frame with one way bearings ...

The engine sounded ok for the muffler it had on... I think . But the engine is not your problem here . :)

Now did you just acquire this or have you built it or do you know where to get parts for it ?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Depending on what model you have here is a website where I found some manuals and man this is a freaking interesting design... Really ! It was fun to figure out the drive chain as it kinda threw me off at first .... Example of how and where you'll find the clutch is. :

image-2557029946.jpg

Let me know what model. I thing you'll probably have to split the main frames to get the engine out ... You'll be able to judge that better ... But like I said the engine , clutch bell and clutch are all one unit in this heli.. And now I see why you had a started cone there ... I have never seen a heli which needs a starter cone ! But it's awesome that it has it ;)

image-2557029946.jpg

concept30

I bought the heli on ebay in 2007,three months ago this year I went out side to start the engine to find out that the engine was stop up, until i spray some WD-40 in the engine to loosen up the gears, then when i try to start the engine again it fired right up, maybe I should stick to battery helicopters, anyways the helicopter model is a Kyosho Concept 30....28-32 engine powered,4 to 5 channel i have the engine manual book some wheres, i just wish the clutch wasn't broke, Now you all probably think, why on earth would anyone want to buy an old helicopter like that, while the reason why is cause I heard some great things about this model helicopter. Great Find there Gaba. And Gaba i was at Mid Throttle. Should I start it up, bring it to full throttle, grab the head unit to see if the clutch is good????

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
well.. I honestly wouldnt recommend that.. for the sole reason that if there is some salvageable clutch liner left.. you just will end up burning it up.. This heli is an older model.. rather not hurt more stuff cause you'll probably have to retro fit some stuff..

Anytime you buy a used heli.. regardless of older or newer model.. Its always recommended to do a tear down clean up and also checkup of all the parts.. like I bought my Vibe 50.. fired it up.. found the engine bearings were shot and the ring was bad.. all that said. I highly recommend if this heli has been sitting for about 4 years now, your would want to take the engine apart.. and see whats the deal with it.. make sure the bearings are not shot and then.. the other stuff.. basically a rebuild of the engine. Its not hard to take it apart and put it together actually.. Its very very easy.. I am not usre if you have dealt with nitro RC engines before of not.. but they are fun to work on :)

As far as the part about it being a great heli. from the very limited time I spedn researching about it, I found that people loved this heli and it is added to Vintage helis.. Which means it was a GREAT heli.. bunch of people still flying it. That being said.. I would still check which version of Kyosho COncept 30 you are SE.. XL and so on from that same site..

Dont give up on fuel helis so soon :) ... They are a whole lot of fun! :D :D My only big one is a nitro.. selling the second nitro..

Parts.. : check this one website out. .I have bought stuff from them.. good service.. http://www.heli-world.com/searchresult.aspx?categoryid=216 .. if they dont have some parts.. see if you can replace the parts of your concept 30 with some parts of say Caliber 30. these companies keep a room for upgrade on these helis many times.

If nothing else works.. see if you can take a chance on buying the clutch for a century sport hawk. Your clutch looks very very close to the clutch of the sport hawk.. and MIGHt FIT.. :)

I highly recommend.. doing a full breakdown of the frame and engine and clutch though. You really wouldnt need the manual of the engine by the way.. you should be fine without it.. the heli's manual will have everything related to the clutch and all that assembly on there. Hope I could help. :)

concept30

wow Gaba sound like you were part of the build team that built this heli back in 1989, thanks for the website, and thanks everyone for the kind words.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hahahahahahah

Don't I wish!! Lol ;) I wasn't. Just know how it is to own an older model heli. :) hey you let us know where and how we can help. Just here to help! :)

Top Bottom