Quad WiFi question

Lillyryan

Hello mate. Wifi should work on all smartphones etc without a device plan. It's only if you require a 3G or 4g network you will need a device plan.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello mate. Wifi should work on all smartphones etc without a device plan. It's only if you require a 3G or 4g network you will need a device plan.
Thank you Lillyryan. Like I said I'm not up on the smartphone. I know pretty much everyone has one but I use a Government phone due to my disability. I appreciate your help.

Lillyryan

Thank you Lillyryan. Like I said I'm not up on the smartphone. I know pretty much everyone has one but I use a Government phone due to my disability. I appreciate your help.

No problem. I am not sure ow the wifi camera operates though. Whether it needs to connect via a router or if it creates its own wifi hotspot. I would imagine it creates its own hotspot.
Have fun

Derek

Yes, a phone like that should work, DOG....just don't expect any good customer service from Straight Talk. My wife and I had that same phone and we started having troubles with getting dropped calls and delayed text messages. I called Customer Service and they suggested that we buy new phones.

What a bunch of crap!

Tony

Staff member
Most of them are going to use an app for you to get a picture. I think some companies use a QR code, and you just read the code with a code reader that you download.

There is no reason to get anything that has phone capabilities if you are only going to use it for fpv over wifi. One downside though is there is a bit of latency. Meaning there is a delay between what the quad does, and what you see on the screen.

And it goes without saying, but the bigger the better when it comes to a phone. If you are set on getting the phone you have linked, great. If not, I can try to get other suggestions.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you gentle men for that Information. I'm not going to use the phone to talk,text or talk picture or video. I was just thinking about using the phone so the wife can see where on flying when she is not doing well and can sit outside and get a kick out of looking at the phone screen while my self fly's the quad. If it's to much hassle I wont bother. It's just something to fly around the yard while my batteries are charging or waiting on parts. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you gentle men for that Information. I'm not going to use the phone to talk,text or talk picture or video. I was just thinking about using the phone so the wife can see where on flying when she is not doing well and can sit outside and get a kick out of looking at the phone screen while my self fly's the quad. If it's to much hassle I wont bother. It's just something to fly around the yard while my batteries are charging or waiting on parts. Thanks again.

I personally cant afford a real Quad copter/racers like Derek and Tony and others. Plus with what's going on with big brother getting involve, I really don't want one. Since my wife got it for me I just want to express my thanks to her. I love flying my helis. On the other hand, you guys with your FPV racers and real quads, I enjoy watching your videos very much and that's good enough for me to enjoy. Heck, I evening got the wife to watch the videos and she starting to enjoy them her self. Keep the videos coming!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Ivan, the product you posted is a wifi hotspot, not a phone. All that device does is it acts like a router (it's not a router, no dhcp and such, but that is another topic). All it does is provide internet access. What you need is a phone. I know you are not wanting to spend a lot of money and this may not be a long term thing, so I think China is your best bet. below is a link to a phone with a 4.5" screen (not the largest out there, but bigger than something like the iphone 4) and it runs on the Android 5.1 OS. It also has 1GB of RAM so it should be able to handle the video coming in pretty easily.

It has WiFi so you will be able to get the signal from your quad. It also has bluetooth so if you have an Ikon or when you upgrade to a Naze32 or CC3D quad (you will, trust me!!!), you cna use the bluetooth module on any of them and use this phone to program them without a computer. It's freakin' awesome lol.

For the price (less than your hotspot), I may get one myself just to test it out. I can't say anything on quality and we all know china pads their reviews themselves. so take the reviews with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to get you into this as cheap as possible and still give you something that you guys can actually see. Hope this helps.

VKworld F1 4.5 Inch 1GB RAM 8GB ROM MT6580 1.3GHz Quad-core Smartphone Sale - Banggood.com

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Ivan, the product you posted is a wifi hotspot, not a phone. All that device does is it acts like a router (it's not a router, no dhcp and such, but that is another topic). All it does is provide internet access. What you need is a phone. I know you are not wanting to spend a lot of money and this may not be a long term thing, so I think China is your best bet. below is a link to a phone with a 4.5" screen (not the largest out there, but bigger than something like the iphone 4) and it runs on the Android 5.1 OS. It also has 1GB of RAM so it should be able to handle the video coming in pretty easily.

It has WiFi so you will be able to get the signal from your quad. It also has bluetooth so if you have an Ikon or when you upgrade to a Naze32 or CC3D quad (you will, trust me!!!), you cna use the bluetooth module on any of them and use this phone to program them without a computer. It's freakin' awesome lol.

For the price (less than your hotspot), I may get one myself just to test it out. I can't say anything on quality and we all know china pads their reviews themselves. so take the reviews with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to get you into this as cheap as possible and still give you something that you guys can actually see. Hope this helps.

VKworld F1 4.5 Inch 1GB RAM 8GB ROM MT6580 1.3GHz Quad-core Smartphone Sale - Banggood.com

Your the man Tony. That's what I'm looking for. That's why I posted the quad on the site because I don't really know what the heck I want. Your right about me not spending alot of money and a long term thing. I diffidently want something cheap. It's mostly for the wife so when I'm out playing she can entertain her self by watching the quad where it goes when shes unable to get around. I rather spend my money on my helis vs that toy quad. I appreciate you understanding what I was trying to accomplish. Sometime I have problems trying to explain my self to others and it's very frustrating at time, most of the time. PS you really think I will upgrade to Ikon or something like that. I'm not really a computer person by all means and the AR7200BX/AR7300BX is easy enough for me to figure it out. Once again Thank you very much for your help Tony. I'm on it!

Tony

Staff member
I think once you get your feet wet with this quad, you are going to want to get something faster. This is a gear driven quad which I have done many reviews on this kind of quad. It lacks power and you can't really throw it around the sky like you can the 250's. and seeing that a 250 quad is only about a bill to build (plus radio and fpv gear), it's very cheap to get into it. And dude, they are a blast to fly.

And if you are running BX's, you probably won't upgrade to Ikon. they are about the same as far as stability. But you can put bluetooth on the quads lol.

And I know all too well what it's like to not want to spend money on anything. Especially something that you know is not going to be much fun. And you play with CCPM helicopters, so I know this is going to be way under powered for you.

And you don't have to sink a lot of money into an FPV setup. You can get a VTX/VRX for about $50, you can use an old TV screen as long as it has RCA inputs (try to use one that doesn't blue screen, but just goes static) or you could even purchase an adapter to connect the RCA's to your laptop and use that as your screen. You put the VTX on your quad, connect the VRX to a tripod or a stick in teh ground and run the wires to your computer and your golden. From there, you can upgrade to the hobbyking goggles which are about $50 and come with a screen. Just add your VRX to it and a battery pack (oh yea, you are going to need a battery for the above setup as well) and you are all set.

don't forget the camera, but those are only about $40 for the quad. No matter what way you go, once you go FPV, you are going to be hooked.

RandyDSok

Also remember that the WiFi signal has a limited range... you'll need to keep it in close to the house in order that the signal is "seen" well inside of the house. The house walls, electronics, even the AC unit can block the signal... so keep as little of that ( and other ) type of stuff between the device and the receiver.... Outside reception should be further since there is much less that can block the signal.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Also remember that the WiFi signal has a limited range... you'll need to keep it in close to the house in order that the signal is "seen" well inside of the house. The house walls, electronics, even the AC unit can block the signal... so keep as little of that ( and other ) type of stuff between the device and the receiver.... Outside reception should be further since there is much less that can block the signal.

Thanks Randy. Yeah she will be outside on the front deck or the back deck. It's just something she can view while enjoying the sunshine. Knowing her she wont last long in the sun then she'll have to go to get out of the sun and rest. That's when I can play with my helis.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter

Well I just placed an order in for VKworld F1 4.5 Inch 1GB RAM 8GB ROM MT6580 1.3GHz Quad-core Smartphone Sale - Banggood.com When I looked at it the first time I didn't notice that there was one day and a few hrs left on the sale. I was going to wait to the quad came in but it would of been to late so I took your advice Tony and got it. Don't worry if the quality isn't good. If it works great and if it doesn't oh well, no need to cry over spilled milk. The reviews look good by the stars they gave it. I can't read Chinese. LOL so will see what happens.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
They are doing better with yours than they are with my two orders then lol

Hey there Tony. :2c:You wanted an up date on this Phone VKworld F1 4.5 Inch 1GB RAM 8GB ROM MT6580 1.3GHz Quad-core Smartphone Sale - Banggood.com. Tony, this phone that you recommended to me works very well for the price. Once I got it hook up to the WiFi, it's a wonderful device.:cool1: Wife loves it "Brownie points Lol" I haven't hooked it up to the quad copter yet that I purchase just for that phone or visa versa.
It's the beginning of Hurricane season " Not the football team" here for us in Florida. The phone works great with the NOAA weather station to keep us alert. Matter of fact, West coast Florida "Where were located" is going to get hit on Monday, my guess, with it's first Hurricane so early in the season. Oh well, were ready! Thanks anyway for your suggestion. We appreciated it and it's money well spent. :agree:

Tony

Staff member
That is fantastic! I was not sure about that phone, but really happy to hear that it is working out for you. Let me know how it works with that quad.

And I thought hurricane season starting in Sept.?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That is fantastic! I was not sure about that phone, but really happy to hear that it is working out for you. Let me know how it works with that quad.

And I thought hurricane season starting in Sept.?

I'll let you know how the quad works with the phone.
Hurricane season starts June 1 through November 31 but we really don't get no disturbance in the Atlantic til September. Rarely we get disturbance in the Gulf No less, so early in the Season. Your going to here about Tampa being under water. I'm tell you, mother nature is not happy with us. Texas is flooding, France is dealing with some flooding that hasn't happen since like 30 years ago. Crazy fire in Canada, list goes on. Strange weather we all been having lately.

Top Bottom