Why Name Brand Over A Clone?

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Why Name Brand Over A Clone?

I have had a lot of time to think about this and it's time I post up my answer. I'm sure everyone on here can stand with me on saying $450 spent on a toy is a hard pill to swallow. I know I had a very hard time pulling the trigger on my latest purchase. But then I started thinking about what I'm getting...

DS410 x3 Cyclic Servos $83.97
DS520 Tail Servo $49.99
450MX Motor $49.99
Align 35a ESC $49.99
3GX Flybarless Gyro $238.99

TOTAL: $472.93

All we just priced out was the electronics for the helicopter I just ordered. Let me put this into perspective for you. I just hit the "Buy Now" button on an Align 450 Pro v2 3GX Flybarless Super Combo and spent $462.90. But if I would have purchased all of the electronics I got with that kit for my other Pro v1 heli, I would have spent not only the $77.00 for the Clone kit that could have blinded me, but also another $472.93 just for the electronics totaling $549.93. Almost $100 more than I spend on a true Align kit.

The kicker here is, even if I put all the best electronics on this clone, I would still be left with metal that is too soft and will fail, carbon fiber that is separating and looks like crap and a canopy that a 3 year old could have painted better and had $100 more out of my pocket.

So when you are deciding on what helicopter to get, don't just think about the cost of the kit, think about everything you will have to put into it and what it will do for you. Would you rather spend $462.90 for everything, or purchase a clone, run the risk of injury from parts flying off for $77 plus getting all of the electronics that are "Good" and spending almost $100 more than you would have by just purchasing the Align kit in the first place?

I don't know about you, but when I put it in that perspective the choice was pretty easy. Especially when I have my daughter out there with me when I'm flying!

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It's been in my future for years lol. But yes, that will more than likely be my next helicopter if I don't decide to get the 250 first. And before you ask, I do see a nitro 700 in my future as well. I will have to win the lottery, but it's there lmao.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Tony, I'm not one to glote about anything. But, this is what I tried to tell everyone on this sight over a year ago when I first signed up. Now slowly but surly everyone here is finding out this fact. When you think your saving money, in the end you spend more! Parts falling apart, braking, and what ever. You end up buying the better parts for the cheeper frame Anyway after a while. So anyone who is listening! Buy the quality heli, plane, or whatever first and save yourself years of aggravation in the end! Lol I'm just saying! My 2 cents!

Tony

Staff member
You are 100% right bro. The fact that we can get into this for $200 is what draws people into the clones. But after you look at all of the parts that you have to replace, the hardships you have to go through to get one flying correctly (if you make it that far, most just give up), you are better off in the end to get the quality product and spend a little more in the beginning.

As you stated, people on here are coming around. I think this will be a major turning point for Rc-Help.com and the products we promote and the ones we trash because they are exactly that. I will have a comparison of the two helicopters when I get the v2 built. The difference is amazing to say the least.

Lee

I think i have been very lucky. Out of my helis, HK250, 2X HK450, 2X CX500 and my 600 the only one that had what i would call clone issues was the 250. My Chaos 600 i wouldn't call a clone. It may look like an Align but it is actually an upgrade, sort of like a Mercedes thats then taken by AMG and tuned up. It has higher grade aluminium parts, thicker frames, wider frame to take the Scorpion motors without having to cut the frame to fit. If i was in the States, i would happily buy all my helis from Cliff at RC Aerodyne. Only the customs tax to Spain is stopping me.

JEXFIRE

I've got a Haulser 450 that I've got an additional $450 into on top of the $300 RTF price when I 1st bought it. Granted, I couldn't fly for crap when i got it so there have been 2 at fault crashes since i've had it. One of those recently because this guy thinks he can fly in 30 mph wind gusts. My poor Airwolf fuse.... But the 1st thing to go was the tail box because a screw backed out in flight and folded over as soon as i set it down. Then a servo, then a set of blades, then the motor, etc. I've replaced and upgraded all the electronics in the time i've had it and only the gyro and speed control were still working when i took them off. The majority of the heli is align by now except for most of the head, main shaft bearings, and skids lol. I had to replace the head block because it was bent in a crash and the flybar "sea saw" because it developed alot of slop. Thats a good way to describe clones, "sloppy". But i digress. a clone got me back into this hobby and many more im sure will follow suit. And us fellow pilots will be here to provide encouragement, help pick of the pieces, and dry the tears. And then politely give a push towards the better flying machine. Happy flying, BRM out

mousie

The good thing about the clones are you can get into the hobby pretty cheap.I would rather crash and your gonna, a cheap clone than a 450.00 dollar align.My exi clone is great.Its all how you set them up and maintane them.I have gotton alot better at flying since I first started and now feel comfortable enough that I would buy a align.
Just my 2 cents

Tony

Staff member
The good thing about the clones are you can get into the hobby pretty cheap.I would rather crash and your gonna, a cheap clone than a 450.00 dollar align.My exi clone is great.Its all how you set them up and maintane them.I have gotton alot better at flying since I first started and now feel comfortable enough that I would buy a align.
Just my 2 cents

Great point but I do want to ask a question. When you crash, what parts are you going to replace and how much more would it be to replace everything with Align? The money from the Align heli's come from the electronics and not so much from the kit.

murankar

Staff member
That is why going clone is more expensive. Yeah it gets you in the air but once you put some stick time in you'll want to convert. I have a mix of align tarot and exi on my bird. Soon I will have all quality. Just need some cash to do it. Maybe next year unless Santa is kind to me.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. And Mousie I wasn't trying to argue, just pointing out a new perspective. In my eyes, yes you can get into the hobby for about $200 with a CCPM heli. I even have some articles on it and how to do it. I created these articles for those that just cringe at the fact of dropping $500 on a heli that they WILL crash. However when the new pilot crashes, they are thinking of the heli as a whole and not as the parts that are actually going to break.

In a crash of an Align 450 Pro V2 3GX, the most expensive part you are going to break is the blades. At $36, they are more than a main shaft, tail boom, gears, everything. But if you get a cheap pair of blades (and I do suggest this, just make sure they are flybarless blades, yes they are weighted different for the gyro) now your parts all fall under or right at $5 for each part. So you can say a crash is going to cost you about $25 after you get everything back to running order.

If you crashed a clone, you may save yourself $5-$10 in parts, but you are not getting the quality. And if you find a good retailer, you can get a deal when you stock up on the parts that break or bend in a crash. Thereby saving you the extra money it would cost to go with name brand. So as you can see, it's all in the eye of the beholder as to what is actually cheaper. To me, it's not crashing as much because of mechanical failure or instability.

mousie

Yes Tony. I agree.After each crash I buy align parts.Except for the blades.I have had good luck with the CF ones from Xheli. The stuff that s not so critical Like the frame, tail boom , landing gear i buy aftermarket. I do like the looks of the new trex 450 sport plus super combo, but I don't need another TX Is this the only way it can be purchased?

Tony

Staff member
the helicopter they are calling the Sport Plus is the Align 450 Sport V2 and you can buy this as a kit with electronics but less the Tx to save a little cash. It should come with the DS415 cyclic servos, DS425 tail servo and the GP790 gyro with the 35aESC and align 450MX motor. Great setup to get started with. There are two people on ebay in new york where I purchased my Pro v2 from that are the cheapest out there and with fast shipping. However, you may get the DS410/DS420 servos and not the new ones. They still sell new, but it's old back stock they purchased at a discount.

xokia

I know this is an old thread but there are other quality helicopters out there besides align.
I recently found Goblin helicopters and those look pretty nice. Although I notice most of those are belt driven. Since I've never owed a belt helicopter I guess I am a little skeptical.
What happens if a belt breaks? Has that ever happened to anyone?

Tony

Staff member
The likely hood of a belt breaking is slim. Belts are best for new pilots since they will slip and not strip. As for what happens when one breaks, it's the same as stripping out tail gears, the tail will not hold, it will go into an uncontrollable piro and it will crash. That is why you should check your belt before every flight by spinning the head around and looking at it.

And you are perfectly correct that there is more than just Align. There are hundreds of manufacturers out there such as Curtis Youngblood, Rage, Goblin and so on. HK, EXI, KDS, Dynam, those are all clones of something. Patent infringement and I won't buy anything that is infringing on a patent because that is what drives good companies out of business. Pay more now, be happier later is my opinion.

However if you look at the RCH Heli, you can get quality for little money if you are willing to do a little work on a used heli. However I LOVE building my own NEW heli, this is the next best thing.

mistyran47

I agree with most of the statements and answers, but to add my 2 cents, it is advantageous to purchase a good simulator, then after honing your skills take your bird out and work with basics until you feel comfortable. I agree at some point you will crash but this is part of our hobby so have your wallet ready. But if you really want to learn all the dynamics of helicopters a kit is the way to go.
Happy flying to all,

Westy

LEGEND
yep ... the problem is .... with a lot of this junk heli stuff on the market ... it might seem cheap, but there is so much that goes wrong with them that unless you are an experienced pilot and know what to inspect thoroughly or it will fly to bits ... and the pilot will have to stand there and scratch their head and try to fathom whether they were at fault ... or was it the piece of junk heli that caused the issue.....

In my experience ... I got sick of spending all my time fixing and trying to get a junker going .... and none flying! .... now with the Align helis I have had .... I have had the opposite happen!!!!

On a good note though, I would not have gained the experience I have if I had not gone down the clone path

Top Bottom