Why I Can't Fly Today

Tony

Staff member
I had plans to get this 550 in the air today but the weather had other ideas. As you can see in the pic below, the wind is blowing like crazy. So much for the flight competition.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Of course it is lmao. Dude, take that friggin thing across the scales and get her an American car!!!! lmao.

RandyDSok

The forecast also shows that the winds are unlikely to die down even closer to the evening...

SundayForecast.JPG

Which is part of why I've also taken up photography as a hobby ... if the weather isn't permitting, take a pic of it... lmao

Lightening_8.jpg

SundayForecast.JPG

Lightening_8.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I do the same thing. Last storm season was the last time I took any pictures though. Below are some that I took before a super cell went over the house. Come Tuesday, I might be able to get some more if things come together. Hell I could head up to NW Oklahoma or SW Kansas and get some today lol.

20150325_190539.jpg
20150325_190023.jpg
20150325_190019.jpg
20150325_185947.jpg

20150325_190539.jpg

20150325_190023.jpg

20150325_190019.jpg

20150325_185947.jpg

RandyDSok

Ooooo... a shelfie... lmao

I went ahead and joined the Spotter Network this year... figured if I was going to be out in it anyways, may as well do some good and report needed info also.

I don't chase storms... ( actually, I think they may chase me )... but not all spotters do and in the past, many were just ham operators that were stationary anyway. I figure that isn't much different than someone out just taking pics.

This will be the actual first year that I'm trying to get something other than lightning pics. So I'll be watching for meso's, shelf clouds, wall clouds .... and if I see a tornado heading away from me, I'll certainly try to snap a shot of it.... but I won't go looking for them. There are plenty of spotters that chase already IMO and I don't need to add to the crowd

RandyDSok

Just to play around a little bit... here is a slightly tweaked version of you first pic you posted...

20150325_190539_lzn.jpg

If I were being serious about it, I'd have masked off the lower tree's and shed etc... This tweak used just one tool in Lightzone called the Relight tool... it makes changes in the amount of detail, highlights, shadows etc and unlike most sharpening effects, it usually doesn't lead to halo's around objects unless it's very overdone.

This tool alone is worth it's weight especially for shots like those into the sun such as a sunset... You set your camera for the bright areas, which of course leads to dark shadows elsewhere... and then you can increase the exposure/brightness in the dark area's alone to bring back the detail.... you can easily recreate the scene that you see originally that way...

DSC_0049_lzn_sm.jpg

20150325_190539_lzn.jpg

DSC_0049_lzn_sm.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Thursday looks like the only day this week that is flyable. One of these days, I'm just going to put a very large tent over my property lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Man you guys get some nice looking storm heads. Here in Ohio we don't see the storm fronts like that, they are less defined. The wind here at 3K Feet has been not so plesent over the weekend. Today its calm as heck, of course and I am in class with an X3 in triage.

Tony

Staff member
That was a supercell that ended up dropping a few tornadoes in Norman. Not a very nice storm, but it looked awesome. ,

Smoggie

So this is my 'flying weather' here in Aberdeen UK, my garden to be exact! (the chairs were blown over by the howling wind)

The girl's voice in my youngest daughter!
[video=youtube_share;le51FwWXXqg]https://youtu.be/le51FwWXXqg[/video]

Tony

Staff member
Pea to dime size hail, that is quite common over here. It's really cool when we get a big one in teh summer. Then a "hail fog" will appear lol.

Be glad, just over the border into Kansas they had over 3" diameter hail. That is enough to kill you if it hit you. And we are in for another round, a more severe round of storms tomorrow. Can't wait lol.

Smoggie

The problem here is it's not just a sudden violent storm. It varies between hail and snow and rain (mostly rain) with occasional sunny spells thrown in but with a near constant unrelenting wind, and it goes on that way for days and weeks and months on end. There is hardly any difference between summer and winter, maybe 5 deg C difference on average. If we ever do get more than a day of sun the heat draws in the moist North sea air which produces a heavy mist that they call 'the haar' in this part of the world.

The plus side used to be that there was lots of well paid work here, than the bottom fell out of the oil price:frown:

Last edited:

Blade_flyer

I sometimes really miss Oklahoma....then I remember the winds, constant winds. Not conducive for flying or shooting.

I remember trying to shoot a .22 Silhouette pistol match. The tiny steel targets would blow over before you could shoot the string. It was hilarious!

Nice weather pictures!

trainrider06

So this is my 'flying weather' here in Aberdeen UK, my garden to be exact! (the chairs were blown over by the howling wind)

The girl's voice in my youngest daughter!
[video=youtube_share;le51FwWXXqg]https://youtu.be/le51FwWXXqg[/video]

Do you guys get much hale there Steve? That really sounds like some whacked out weather! It seems to be everywhere this last year of weird seasons. Here in Texas we have had really no winter this year, and some of the most beautiful days i've seen in this state with a frequent occurrence of them....aside from the wind of course, but the really rare low wind days have been pretty frequent also (too bad they are on the days I work most the time) Of course the rain has been very frequent, I think that has helped with the beautiful days after the rain.
By the way, love the accent!

Top Bottom