450 Why did my heli just spool up! on throttle hold switch

orbi

I switched on my heli with the throttle stick down as usual and switched the "throttle hold" switch up on the back right of my DX6i and my heli spooled up. Can anyone tell me why this could be? It put the wind up me as I thought this switch guaranteed a non-spool or was in disabled throttle mode.
The switch says mix-0 and Throttle hold-1 when I pull the switch up to 1 it spools up.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
to give us some more info what are your setting? as far as it acting up, I would try to see if the throttle works normal in the (0) position, if it does than something is dead wrong; however if it works like TH is activated, i would take the TX apart and flip the switch around, or ship it off to horizon hobby for repair. I hope this helps, I can get my DX6i out if needed, but I hope this gives some thinking room. Oh yeah, has the TX always acted like this?

orbi

its a strange one.... i ve just made sure the TH mode is -10% it was at 0% that was it. But hey guys I just forgot and switched off my radio first with the throttle stick down and she spooled into full throttle...... wow was I lucky just then. Last weekend all I did was change something in the Tx and went to main front page and it did the same thing .... thats why I wanted a throttle hold , all be it I just accidentally switched the set off.... stupid. but hey didnt realize it was that important. Ive done that before and the heli didnt full spool then.... why now???? mind you ive changed the ESC could that be it? Im gonna make sure in future that my set is on first and last off.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
ok, well glad it works now... One time my heli was spooling down I still had the throttle mid stick, in TH, and I was really near the helicopter, and I'm twiddling my thumbs, and what happens my dumb thumbs hit the TH switch off!

rchelipilot

Does a DX6 have a failsafe mode so if you shut off your radio first or you loose the signal, the rx will go into failsafe mode.
Set throttle hold to 1, throttle stick all the way down and trim all the way down while your bird is plugged in.
Then unplug the battery then turn off your tx.
Now rebind it and the next time you shut off the tx first, it should just sit there in failsafe mode.
Thats how my dx8 works any way.
Hope that helps.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Lee

When you bound the radio to the RX, did you have the throttle stick down. If you get throttle when the radio was turned of, then you must have had the stick up when binding. All sticks and switches must be in there default position when binding, for failsafe to work. So Throttle stick down.

Westy

LEGEND
I would say you have not enabled the Throttle hold! I is off by default.

It is easy to see if that is the case ... go through the menus until you see the channel display. you will see your throttle move up and down as you move it (and the Pitch will go with it!) and when you switch throttle hold the Throttle one will not move but the pitch will still move

Last edited:

orbi

I would say you have not enabled the Throttle hold! I is off by default.

It is easy to see if that is the case ... go through the menus until you see the channel display. you will see your throttle move up and down as you move it (and the Pitch will go with it!) and when you switch throttle hold the Throttle one will not move but the pitch will still move

done this and it still rotates on full power when i shut off radio. Ive tried re-binding with all switches off and stick down .... nope whenever I power off i get full rotation..... Ive set my throttle hold to minus 10% it was slightly spooling at 0 % im not flying stunts so ive set the switch that way on - 10

- - - Updated - - -

could it be the ESC im using a cheapy

Tony

Staff member
Never, EVER EVER EVER turn your Tx off before you unplug your heli. EVER! The Tx should be on ANYTIME the heli is plugged in! Safety first!

Westy

LEGEND
What do you mean when you shut the radio off? .... Please do not tell me you are leaving the heli armed and then turning your radio off? That is the reason right there.

you Sequence for firing up and shutting down your heli should be

Start up
Power up TX and click Throttle hold on. Throttle at Idle.

Power on RX and wait for ESC and gyro to initialise and set.

SHUT DOWN
Put throttle hold on and throttle at Idle
disconnect battery on Heli
Shut down Tx.

If you leave the Heli on after you have powered down the Transmitter, you will absolutely get a full or half throttle power up as the RX goes into hay wire mode as it does not know what to do as it is not getting any signal from the Radio.

- - - Updated - - -

I was typing all that .... when Tony Popped in before me! haha - Yeah What he said!

orbi

YES... I was told to unbind and re-bind from start with bind plug in place, stick down and all switches off ....It worked! I had replaced the ESC and not rebinded Rx. So ive been told and learned that always rebind with plug in place when ever you replace anything on the heli. And Yes I must always always never switch the radio off before the motor..... but things happen. Failsafe is there to prevent an accident. and yes accidents dont happen theyre caused. I feel safer anyways having fail safe in place. Thanks guys to all of you once again im in your debt.
Its such a relief to know there s guys on this site that are willing to help, I guess thats how the sport has become so popular in recent years.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add my throttle hold was at 0 % and was still running the motor so I had to make it -10% and it is holding the motor off now. Last week I had the throttle stick down and held with my thumb and when I switched the throttle hold switch it spooled up. Only when I assigned the - 10 % did it do the job. I had taken for granted that the TH switch would do as it says and HOLD the throttle I assumed it would prevent the throttle spooling up the motor, I didnt realize it needed setting up first.
Got it all sorted now thanks again Paul

Westy

LEGEND
Good to hear you sorted it.... yeah, the throttle hold must always be set up and must be set below 0 - 5 to 10% to engage it correctly ! Good Job you worked it out.

Even more glad you did not Take your head off!

Lee

Did you calibrate the new ESC? That's probably why it's spilling up at low stick.
Turn on TX, return throttle hold to 0%, throttle stick to high,plug in battery, after first beeps lower throttle to 0. Do this and you shouldn't need -10% in the radio. Do this with blades off, just to be safe.

orbi

thanks boys will try the callibrate... i had ordered a dynam 60 A esc from HK they sent a replacement " mystery" so I havent a clue what it is .... thats what you get from abroad , they dont care when you scream and shout about getting stuff you aint ordered. Its 45A but thats all I know. It works on failsafe now and Ive hovered with it, but thats as far as im going with it. I shall change it when I learn to fly. im still struggling to get the bird off the ground!... it still jumping and leaping left and putting the wind up me when it digs in. should I just go for a straight up to 5ft lift and sort the bird out there? im too nervous getting it hovering near the ground, I know it has its benefits in that I can dump safely. ive watched the vids and been on sim for months, my hands shake too much after. I need confidence!

- - - Updated - - -

so to recap when my radio is off and the heli is still on !!! that throttle hold switch wont do a thing to stop a spool up even in minus 10% set up.
The Rx needed a re bind when things were added / changed as when I changed the ESC. Ive heard that some Orange rx are like that, some dodgy models are manufactured with a component soldered 180 deg out of line. It is making the Rx lose its bind everytime you disconnect the power to it. There is a you-tube video for this, type in.... " HobbyKing Orange DSM2 faulty batch of receivers" this is very interesting. I have also found that those orange dsm2 antenna s are prone to come away in your hand and easily broken off the box.

- - - Updated - - -

can an antenna be soldered back onto an orange rx safely.

Westy

LEGEND
Um ..... "so to recap when my radio is off and the heli is still on !!! that throttle hold switch wont do a thing to stop a spool up even in minus 10% set up."

Of course it will not do anything..... the Radio must be left on last and always turned on first! - the RX is not getting a signal

you are doing it about face :)NEVER TURN YOUR RADIO OFF BEFORE YOUR HELI! NEVER

The problem you are describing with the Rx is happening (I am hoping it is not actually faulty)....

The DSM2 receivers have a Lost signal warning ... so if you turn your radio off completely and then try to reconnect ... it will just flash red! 1 Second flashes...

This is perfectly normal. What you need to do in this case is .... turn off power to the heli. and turn off you TX ...
Turn on TX and then turn on heli.

If it will not stop flashing ... you need to turn heli off .... turn TX off turn TX on and turn heli on..... should bind fine!

RE: can an antenna be soldered back onto an orange rx safely. - YEs it can

Last edited:
Top Bottom