Who's Running An Ad Blocker? Post Up Please.

Tony

Staff member
I just received an email from a new member signup that, in translation read "This forum is horrible, you can not navigate, without those warnings being annoying and forcing all the time!".

I almost never run my ad blocker on any site because I know why they have ads. They are to pay for the server and maybe a little extra to put some beans on a plate at night. But after I received this email, I enabled my ad blocker on my site, this site. It has been a year or so since I have seen what it is actually like and I figured I needed a refresher.

So I enabled my ad blocker and boom, I get that little pink box in the lower left. I scroll the page for 10 seconds and the full page blockadblock page comes up, I click on the link and keep testing. I get the top pink banners but I have yet to get the one that is most annoying to me, that one with the red header that darkens the screen.

Trust me everyone, I know ads are horrible. I hate looking at them but I know what they are for. The large Rc sites are just absolutely FILLED with ads from every company out there. Both sidebars are FULL of ads and for those sites, yup, ad blocker to the rescue! But our site has very few ads compared to those sites. I am running a new little deal from google where they can put ads in different places and I have yet to hear anything negative about this.

In most cases, you will see an ad above the forum but below the header, there is also an ad in the sidebar. The sidebar ad is the google ad, but I do have two other boxes there, one for gearbest and one for banggood. Those are there strictly because if you do click on that ad and head over there and purchase something, I get a very small little kickback that helps the site. In fact I just checked and default settings on the ad block, those two little banner blocks are still there.

If you run ad blocker, trust me, I get it. You guys are actually the ones that I want to hear from on this matter. I ask you guys to disable your ad blocker on this site and please tell me your experience. Are the ads too obtrusive? Where can we make changes to help keep you happy with seeing the ads and still be able to pay the bills around here every month? Please post up, I would really like to hear from you all on this matter.

Geena

Staff member
Those animated ads that I see on some of the other sites, are the ones that I hate the most. They are distracting, annoying, and totally unnecessary in my opinion. RC-Help has fewer ads than most other sites, and that`s a good thing. I know what the ads are for, and I also get it. Which is why I don`t run my blocker in here. However, I never click on ads on ANY site, because of the risk of hidden malware, viruses, or other harmful things that could be in them.

Tony

Staff member
Oh man, you just brought back some horrible memories. Back in 2013 I think it was, adsense didn't completely check all of the ads and man, you talk about a nightmare with redirects, malware and everything else. From then on I have been very selective on what ads I put on here. The slightly animated ads I cant' help, car companies are the worst, but they stop after a couple rounds.

Geena

Staff member
The slightly animated ones, don`t bother me much. It`s the ones with the sparkly, flashy, almost neon effect that they have around them. Those are the ones that get the wrath of my blocker.

Tony

Staff member
If you ever see those on my site, you should be able to hover over the ad and a little X should appear. Just click on that and block it directly through google. I'm with you though, I hate those....

Tony

Staff member
If that is the case, then you are running your ad blocker. There should be an ad at the top of the forum, one at the bottom of the forum and 3 in the sidebar of which only one is google. The other two are gearbest and banggood where I get a little kickback. But those two are unaffected by ad blockers unless you target them.

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. Well, if you are not seeing bright pink banners then nope, it's not on lol. And I do greatly appreciate that!

RandyDSok

I have AdBlock Ultimate but it's disabled for this website. This site has very few ads compared to many I visit. The only warnings I've seen on the site are when my blocker is active and no other time.

What you posted the user saying how bad the number of ads are... actually makes me wonder if they're infected with malware ( adware or spyware ) that is the actual cause of what they are seeing. I'd recommend that they install and run Malwarebytes Antimalware to check for infections. If they mention they have something else already and are clean... insist that they try it anyway. Most of the other protection software I've seen on my clients computers don't catch adware or spyware effectively.

Tony

Staff member
I have the site running in kind of reverse. If you block ads, then you will get pop up's. One that is linked to the nice pink banners that comes up, darkens the page and you can pretty much click anywhere to get rid of it. The other one is pretty new and it covers the entire page. You have to click on a link to get rid of that one. But if no blocker is being used, you will never see a popup.

but you are probably correct, they may have adware on their computer.

Top Bottom