General Which way?

treff

I know this is another stupid question but which way should the motor turn on a 450 clockwise or anti-clockwise?
I ask because I have fitted slanted main gear and new drive. I set up as Tony's vid but the whole thing sounds awful.
Any suggestions most welcome. Cheers

treff

Thanks very much for the info cn63bug. I should know by now after so many rebuilds. It is just that I have installed slanted main drive and new motor pinion and it sounds awful. Cheers
Is it at all possible to fit slanted pinion up side down on the motor>

cn63bug

Maybe the gear mesh isn't quite right. Helical (or slanted cut) gears are usually very quiet in comparison to straight cut gears.

murankar

Staff member
Recheck the gear gap. It should be no wider than the thickness of printer paper. You should be able to move the main gear just ever so slightly when set right.

The mesh plays a vital role in how well the heli flies, motor performance and motor efficiency.

As for rotation its anti clockwise on a gear to gear drive system and clock wise on a belt driven system (I.e. goblin, warp and ms heli).

Last edited:

cn63bug

Thanks very much for the info cn63bug. I should know by now after so many rebuilds. It is just that I have installed slanted main drive and new motor pinion and it sounds awful. Cheers
Is it at all possible to fit slanted pinion up side down on the motor>

if you had the pinion upside down, then it would not mesh at all with your main gear. That would definitely make an "awful" sound.
Your gears from the side should look something like this (pinion)|\\\| |////////////|(main) for them to mesh of "fit" together.

If they look something like this (pinion)|///| |///////////|(main), then they will not fit together. I know it's crude, but hopefully it gives you the right idea.

- - - Updated - - -

As for rotation its anti clockwise on a gear to gear drive system and clock wise on a belt driven system (I.e. goblin, warp and ms heli).

This is true on gear to gear drive system if the motor is mounted pinion up. Most blade helis are mounted pinion down (can't remember proper terms for this) which in this case, the motor spins clockwise. I know it doesn't really pertain in this case, but thought that I would share. :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You cna mount the pinion up side down, that's not a problem. Just make sure it's riding on the flat spot of the pinion and not wanting to ride near where the grub screw is where it gets fatter.

treff

Thanks for that info Tony appreciate your time. Hope the move went okay. Cheers
And Thanks again cn63bug got it sorted now but still makes horrible sounds. I think I may have a twisted or distorted helical main gear
so I will replace and try again. Cheers

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
My pleasure. It's not over yet. We are just in a "limbo" stage right now and losing our friggin minds.

Top Bottom