Scale Whether or not to weather, that is the question

How much, if any would you do?

• None, spit and polish

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Some light weathering around doors, service hatches.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Doors, hatches and exhaust stain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full blown, make it look as if it came off a huge fire, maybe soot and smoke stains too.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Boogs

I'm working on a scale build and I'm stuck. For all of the static display military models, I've always weathered them. It adds so much to the build. But this is a different kettle of fish I think. I'm basically doing a flying fire truck. Every photo I can find of the subject looks like it has been spit and polished, just as a true fire truck should. I rather like the spit and polish, but maybe having it back, fresh off a fire fighting mission.... Can't decide, so I thought I'd get the opinion of my fellow flyers. These are some options I'm considering. Thanks, Rick6f570c91d6f72a6b99872f7c6a854326d1319590.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Even helicopters like those are going to have some wear marks here and there. Since that is a very clean helicopter, if I were building it (and I'm not, we have already established why lol), this is what I would do.

Make the skids so that they looked used. Like people have stepped on them and worn them a bit.

There is going to be some kind of exhaust blackness. I would definitely do that.

The leading edge of the main and tail blades are no longer going to be painted. They are going to be raw aluminum from sand and rocks. Just normal wear.

The leading edge of the nose, horizontal and vertical stabilizer are also going to be weathered slightly. But not near as much as the blades.

These are my thoughts on what I think of when I see a clean helicopter. There is not a one out there that is perfect unless it was just built.

Admiral

Sorry Tony I disagree, I have just looked at about 100 photos of Fire Fighting Helicopters and cannot find a spec of dirt or wear anywhere, those guys appear to be annul about keeping their machines spotless.

I'd make a concession for the exhaust outlets.

Tony

Staff member
The wear on the leading edge of the tail feathers and nose, I can see those being spotless. The blades though, they are always going to have something. Damn scale guys, creating debates in here hahahahaha.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Your doing such a great job Rick why start now to do it half ass. Make it look like it just came out of the assembly line. Pretty and shiny :)

Jimbo

I agree with Tony. No matter how hard you clean an aircraft (fixed or rotor wing) there are black smudges around every revit, door hinge and such. The blades take real beating as well.

IMHO it is a "firefighter", not a show bird and should look like it.

Jim

Boogs

Thanks everybody for your input. I have some time before I'm ready to make a decision, good thing as I'm still not sure how I'll finish it, weathering wise. Leaning towards minimal. With a set of scale blades, that would be a no brainer, those will get changed for flying anyways.

Top Bottom