Where's Tony

Tony

Staff member
What's up everyone. I have received a lot of PM's and emails asking what it is that I'm going and once they find out, they ask where I am. So, I thought I would create a thread and "try" to keep it updated lol.

For those that don't know, I purchased my own truck (big truck, 2012 Volvo 670 with the D13 Volvo engine and an Eaton Fuller 10 speed trans) and I'm hauling cross country. The ONLY reason I did this is for my family. No matter what we did, we could not get ahead. So, I needed something that would make more money to not only provide for my family, but also a way to keep this website alive. All of my other sites can die, this one HAS to stay up. And I'm going everything I can to make that happen.

Here is a little back story to catch you all up on where I was and what I have been doing.

For the first 3 weeks, I was completely screwed around by everyone. Almost just gave up on the whole thing. It went on way before that, but this is where we are going to start. Once I got my truck, they, at the last minute, told me to head over to Ohio for orientation. The thing that didn't make sense is I was AT the corporate location in Limerick Pa. But whatever, I went there, they paid for my fuel and a little extra.

Once all of the "crap" was done in Ohio, I found a load from Ohio to Nashville Tn. I had to take a trailer down there from Wooster, Oh. That run was easy. But once I was down there, I had to put the truck in the shop for a few issues, mainly no fuel mileage, a ticking sound and no power. I spent 3 days in that shop killing me.

Once out of the shop, I had to wait over the weekend until monday. On Monday, I found a load there in Tn going down to Alabama close to where another load was. That "other" load was the one I had been waiting on. Finally made it down there and picked up a trailer with 6 7200 pound rolls of paper. I pulled that load to Von Ormy, Tx, just south east of San Antonio Tx. From there, I found a load from San Antonio to Lawton Ok. Then, I went home for the weekend.

The issue with going home is there is no freight out of Oklahoma. I waited all day Monday and there was nothing. Then my agent called me and said there was a load from Kansas. 720 coolers from the Rubbermaid factory weighing a total of 8500lbs. Yea, that was a gravy load. I took that load over to Atlanta, Ga. I was going to find a load from there down close to Brewton Al where I pick up the rolls, but decided to just deadhead down there (meaning no load in the trailer, no pay either).

I picked up a loaded trailer with the rolls of paper and headed to Sheboygen Wi. The bad/good is I got there quite early, but did it by design. The load didn't unload until Monday morning, and I got there Saturday evening. I knew if I got there Saturday by 1900, I could sit there all day Sunday and get my 34 hour reset in, which resets my 70 hour clock. I decided to do that so that I could run hard this week. And yes, sitting there for a full day was horrible.

I finally unloaded Monday morning (late, thanks to THEM not keeping the appointment) then headed over to the other side of Wi. Which is where I am now.

So at this time, I'm sitting here in Arcadia, Wi waiting to pick up my load at 1300. I woke up this morning at 0630 and my load will not be ready until 1300. So, here I sit. I HATE sitting! On this load, I'm heading over to Cheyenne, Wy. I will be stopping tonight in Omaha, Ne though. It's about 7.5 hours from here.

I will see you all in Nebraska!

murankar

Staff member
Good luck with the loads. Looking like things are trying to change for the better. I too hope to be in the clear soon.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, things are starting to get a little better, but not all the issues are over. My load that I was supposed to pick up at 1300 (an hour ago) has been delayed 2-6 hours. So that is putting me behind quite a bit. I'm going to have to run my ass OFF tomorrow. So much for two easyish days... Now, I have a "hurry up and wait" day and a "run your friggin balls off" day... It's always something lol. But, once I'm done with this load, I'm heading back south and staying there. Not a fan of this northern stuff and all of their chain laws and crap. If it's snowing, I don't move (if the ground is slick that is). Rather be safe than sorry.

trainrider06

My old neighbor is rich as hell now, runs I don't know how many trucks, most of em pretty new, he hauls heavy heavy stuff.
Uses one of those extended trailer contraptions, that extends the length on his "Low Boy" I guess its called.
He does a lot of military equipment hauling also, think thats where he makes his meaty pulls from....
East coast West coast runs, thats where he always said the big money runs were.....

Derek

In 2002, I use to live in Wooster, OH...I hated that place, lol. Moved to Canton, OH and liked it better there. Ended up moving back to Indiana, late that year.

Anyway...I hope things work out for you, Tony!

Tony

Staff member
Heavy haul is where it's at for the big bucks, as well as military. and yes, those are known as lowboy's or RGN's (Removable Goose Neck).

Wooster wasn't that bad, but had a delay there picking up the trailer because of multiple issues with it. And the roads are NOT made for a big truck, even if I only had a 40' trailer lol.

So, lots to update today. Getting screwed once again. I swear this stuff follows me around.

I woke up yesterday in hopes I could pick up my trailer. If not, no worry, I could wait two hours until 1300 to pick it up. I get up to the building and ask if the trailer is ready, and she says "no, it's not ready. We didn't get the trailer in until this morning and it's going to be around 1500 before it's ready. Notice its only two hours late and they require a 2 hour window before you can nail them with detention. So I head back to the truck stop bobtail.

I sat there for a few hours and at 1450 I head back over there. I walk up and ask them if the trailer was ready and she says "it was just finished 4 minutes ago (BS), I just have to get the paperwork done on it". I go out to my truck, make a cup of coffee (I'm going to need it being this late) and I get a call that it's ready. I go in, ask her where it is and get the hell out of there.

I start looking for the trailer in a lot with over 2000 trailers and ended up driving by it the first time, but found it the second time. I back up to the trailer but stop before my 5th wheel touches it. I do this as a CYA (cover your ass) move. I get out and walk around the trailer to see if there are any issues with it and to check the seal on the door before I back under it. First thing I notice is the side skirt is bent out.

I walk back there and look at the skirt and something very bad happened here. It completely tore the skirt off of the bracket, completely destroying the bracket, and they put a bungee cord on it to hold it to keep it from flying off. Not a good idea. I start looking further and notice there are scratches on the other skirt on the inside as well as the air slide actuator, brake can, axle and shock on the drivers front.

At this time, I call my agent (this is the first, AND LAST, load I have hauled for this guy) and tell him that I'm not hooking up to this trailer in it's present condition. He tells me that another driver pulled that trailer for a week and a half like that and was fine. I told him that I could care less what the other driver did, I'm not pulling it with that 30lb side skirt about to fly off (and that was only 1/3 of the skirt). He then tells me to pull it down to the shop where he is. I got a little pissed at this one. I told him there was no way in hell I'm hooking up to this trailer. I am not going to be the one responsible when that thing flies off and hits a family in a mini van killing every one of them. I then proceeded to tell him that if he didn't get someone out there, he would have to find another driver for the load and I would find something else and head back down south.

That got his attention since he has told me many times "this load can't be late". So he called corporate to get an approval which it was after 5 over there and no one would say do it. He then just called a guy. An hour and a half later, the guy shows up. Within about 2 minutes he had the skirt off the trailer. Not secured at all I tell ya lol. Once we fix that, I have him look into the lights on the back, and we had to fix those as well.

At 1830 I finally left and went on my way. I had my place picked out where I was going to stay and I was pushing this truck against the wind to get there. I was tired as hell. I drive, uneventfully to Des Moines, IA and find the Pilot that I was going to stop at. I drive around and there are NO parking spots (didn't expect so this late). So I head to the rest stop down the road that I had already picked out "just in case". Wouldn't you know it, closed... Barricades up and everything. Almost parked there anyway, but it was a construction zone so I went on.

I found another rest stop about 60 miles down the road (I think, I was OMG tired by this time) and pull in there, Again, not a single parking spot and wow was it tight. There were trucks parked in the car area lol. So I stopped at the end of the rest area (will not sleep there, way too many people get hit there) and look for another place. I found one way up the road and figured if they didn't have any parking, I would just sleep on the on ramp to 80. I get there, and this is a little mom and pop shop with no diesel, but the back is large enough for a truck and I backed my butt in next to a UPS driver. At this time, it was after midnight and I was seeing the dog. So I passed the hell out.

This was in Adair Iowa, which is where I am now. I'm waiting for my 10 hours to expire so I can get rolling again. I still have 43 minutes to go before I can do my pre trip. Once that time runs out and I get another 14 added to me, it's balls to the wall running until I get to Cheyenne Wyoming which is where I still spend the night, and unload at 0900 in the morning.

Until tonight, or tomorrow, depending on how tired I am tonight. Catch you all in Wyoming!

Tony

Staff member
Here are some pictures of the damaged trailer in case anyone wanted to see them. And for those that didn't know, this is what is on the inside of those side skirts on a big truck.

20151103_153800.jpg
20151103_160202.jpg
20151103_160217.jpg
20151103_160236.jpg
20151103_160250.jpg
20151103_160300.jpg
20151103_160346.jpg
20151103_160357.jpg
20151103_160405.jpg
20151103_160412.jpg
20151103_160438.jpg

20151103_153800.jpg

20151103_160202.jpg

20151103_160217.jpg

20151103_160236.jpg

20151103_160250.jpg

20151103_160300.jpg

20151103_160346.jpg

20151103_160357.jpg

20151103_160405.jpg

20151103_160412.jpg

20151103_160438.jpg

Lee

I've often thought driving trucks long haul would be a cool job, but I think I've changed my mind.

murankar

Staff member
Long haul sucks unless your not a push over. The last driver of that trailer wE probably a push over and that's wh y he hauled that trailer. OTR is what ever you make it. Owner operator has its perks.

Tony

Staff member
I've often thought driving trucks long haul would be a cool job, but I think I've changed my mind.

It's not really that bad. Just the minor issues that you have to deal with like this that put you behind on a load. It's fantastic seeing the country, but really sucks being away from the family. But, you don't have any kids and you are used to traveling all around the world, you should give it a shot. For a year at least.

Long haul sucks unless your not a push over. The last driver of that trailer wE probably a push over and that's wh y he hauled that trailer. OTR is what ever you make it. Owner operator has its perks.

Actually, the driver that took the trailer for a week and a half was a female. Not trying to start a sex war, just stating a fact. But you are right, OO has it's perks. I have yet to find them though lol.

Someone was smoking crack if they thought that trailer belonged anywhere near a road.

You got that right bro! My agent that I'm hauling for on this load tried to get me to take it, then tried to get me to take it to the shop 40 miles away and I told him where he could shove it both times. So, he had to call a guy after hours to come out and work on it for an hour or so.

Well everyone, I had to stop in Gothenburg Nebraska (I think that is how you spell the town lol). Had to stop here and take my manditory 30 minute break. So I got me some Chesters Chicken and I'm sitting back here at my table taking my break. I only have about 4 more hours left today and I will be done until morning. Only almost died twice on the first leg of the trip... lol.

The wind out here is horrendous!!! I heard a report on the news that they have seen up to 60mph winds, sustained, with higher gusts. Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't hitting me in the drivers door. My arms are killing me and like stated above, I have 4 more hours of this before I stop for the night. Oh what fun!

Tony

Staff member
Alright guys, made it to Cheyenne Wyoming. I'm only 4 miles from my stop which is good since there is a snow storm warning tonight and tomorrow. And I HATE SNOW!!! Thankfully, I can get the hell out of here tomorrow and get out of this crap. Hopefully that is...

trainrider06

Good thing you stick to your guns there Tony, and pay attention! That skirt caused an accident, there would have been no one but you being blamed....and sued! They woulda just simply said, "well we don't have responsibility because he was the driver, and he took the trailer!"
Wonder what in the hell they hit to tear it up like that? sure took a pounding!

Man that IS such beautiful country, but so very dangerous to traverse! I don't know how the pioneers did it back in the day.
Thanks for the stories!

Tony

Staff member
Just a quick update. I arrived here last night at the truck stop at 2045 and it was raining. I got my shower bag ready and walked inside to take a very needed shower (no shower last night in that hole in the wall place I slept at lol) and there was a little snow mixed with the rain (crap). The shower here is not the greatest in teh world. Small and not that clean. But as long as the water is clean, that is all I care about.

I get done and head back to the truck and now, it's ALL SNOW and these snow flakes are not jacking around! They were friggin huge! I looked up the weather forecast, and it said 3-5". Thankfully though, I wake up this morning, and yes, there is snow all over the trucks, but the ground was too warm to accumulate and it all melted. Bridges may be a little slick though.

From 80º to 30º in only a matter of a few hours heading west. Oh the life of a trucker...

Tony

Staff member
well, as it always does, things took another turn. Sat all day yesterday and no loads out of Cheyenne. I woke up this morning, put $450 worth of fuel in my truck and headed SE. I made it to Woodward OK which is where i"m sleeping tonight and still no load. So not only am I losing $500+ a day (my figure on how much I lose when the truck sits on average), but I am losing the $450 worth of fuel in the tanks. All going up in smoke, literally, if it wasn't for this damn DPF crap on this truck... No coal roller here lol. One day, I will find stable freight... One day...

Tony

Staff member
Diesel Particulate Filter. It just means about 800lbs added to the truck, about 150 more things that can go wrong with the truck, runs hot as hell when it's doing a regen, and I have to purchase DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) at about $3.00/gallon. Thankfully, the DEF tank is only 15 gallons and I only put some in there about every third tank. And my truck holds 250 gallons of diesel.

Either way, made it home and started working on the truck. Found a slack adjuster that was completely screwed so there was another $100 towards that. Will be working on it more tomorrow. Just way too tired tonight to do anymore work to it. Been going at it since about noon right after I got home. ,

Top Bottom