General Where do I go from here?

Reid

I got in to RC last spring at a local club with a friend of my father. I started with a FlyZone super cub and am a fairly proficient flyer. I seemed to pick up flying very quickly with no crashes on my first plane. I'm looking for a great second plane. I have done my research and I am drawn to the Edge 540 from 3dhs and was wondering if I started with low rates if that would be too much plane too soon.

Reid

murankar

Staff member
just keep in mind that the aircraft in question is a 3D airplane. It's response will be more pronounced than what you are use to. I would suggest trying to fly it in a sim so you can get a feel for the aircraft. You will enjoy that kit once you know how to fly it.

RandyDSok

The 3DHS 41" Edge is a great entry level plane. They used wire landing gear so in event of a hard landing, you can just bend them back into place and continue flying. If you are good at assembling... the HS-45HB servo's are fine but if you haven't done it much, the HS-65MG's will make up for a builder that can't build the hinges without some binding.

The next sizes up ( 48" and larger ) are also a really nice ones but has carbon fiber landing gear.

Use the recommend equipment and you will have a good plane no matter what model you get from 3DHS.

... PS... low rates is fine to start with but do setup the high rates also.

callsign4223

Staff member
The edge 540 would be a nice plane, however if you are worried about crashing I have a suggestion. The multiplex acromaster is a 3d plane similar to the edge, however it is made of epo foam. It's a lot more durable. I have crashed mine, and the only damage was a broken prop and bent motor shaft.

Tony

Staff member
If you can fly the plane you have now, then you should be able to fly the Edge. Just remember, this plane will not self right it's self. If you bank into a turn, it will stay banked until you tell it to come back. You must always be on the sticks and telling it where to go. These planes float very well so you can land quite slow as long as you are up on the sticks.

The 3DHS is a great plane as Randy stated and it's what he flies. I have wanted to fly it, just never wanted to take that chance lmao.

Reid

Thanks guys! I feel much more confident in getting into this kit now. I've been flying it with my sim for months now and have heard several people say that a 3D plane isn't the best option for a second aircraft. I just need the reassurance that they were WRONG lol.

RandyDSok

When you think about it... a properly designed 3D aircraft is actually better in many ways ( not all )...

The primary advantage is that they are made to still fly in a controllable manner post stall which can make slower maneuvers such as landing easier.

Of course there are a bunch that are not properly designed as well... commonly seen on sites such as Hobby King, Banana Hobby and others which are known to copy a style but not the engineering resulting is a poorer flying airframe than a well designed one like 3DHS, Extreme Flight and others make.

Reid

Right now I'm trying to decide between the 41" or 48" Edge from 3dhs or the edge 540t from great planes, but leaning more toward the 3dhs planes despite the cost difference.

RandyDSok

Right now I'm trying to decide between the 41" or 48" Edge from 3dhs or the edge 540t from great planes, but leaning more toward the 3dhs planes despite the cost difference.

Both are great airframes... it may help you decide to know that they ( as well as their distributors ) are currently out of the 41". When I got mine, they were out of the 48" and I was also looking for a smaller airframe so I could just toss it into the car and go... with the car I had at the time, the larger airframes required that I remove the wings and now with my Escape I could toss in the largest one I have with the wings on... so that part would depend on your vehicle you use to transport with.

RandyDSok

I think Tony had the 540T at one time. This thing was beast, white and purple with rc-help decals.

Tony has an E-Flight 540... it is a decent enough of a plane but designed more for sport flying than 3D. I often see people assume because an airframe is an Edge, Extra or Sukhois ( or whatever ) they automatically assume they were designed for 3D and that isn't the case

RandyDSok

540 or 540T ( tandem ) either way, besides the slightly longer canopy they are pretty close to the same style... but it's the Great Planes version and not an E-Flight as I said earlier, still its more of a sport flyer version vs a 3D as the ones from 3DHS which is what the OP was talking about

Tony

Staff member
I think Tony had the 540T at one time. This thing was beast, white and purple with rc-help decals.

Tony still owns this plane lmao

540 or 540T ( tandem ) either way, besides the slightly longer canopy they are pretty close to the same style... but it's the Great Planes version and not an E-Flight as I said earlier, still its more of a sport flyer version vs a 3D as the ones from 3DHS which is what the OP was talking about

It is actually a 3D plane, I just don't have the skill set to fly it like it needs to fly.

to the OP, no matter if you go with the 3DHS 48" or the GP 540T that's 49.5", they will both be a load of fun. I love my Edge from GreatPlanes and it's one of the most stable planes there is. Check out the RcHelpDotCom channel for videos on this plane.

As I stated earlier, I have wanted to fly Randy's plane from 3DHS just for comparison to mine as well as comparing his 41" to my 40" Fliton planes.

Either way you go, you will be very happy. If it were up to me to do it again, I would go for the 48" 3DHS Edge 540 over the GreatPlanes. As Randy said and I may have confused you above, it is more of a pattern/sport flier but can do some pretty good 3D. However I think the 3DHS planes of equal power and size will out perform the GP 540T.

GreatPlanes makes all kinds of planes but the majority (I think) is mostly trainers and the like. Whereas 3DHS is strictly (I think) 3D planes. They live and breathe 3D planes and their designs prove that fact.

My next plane will be a 74" (I think) 30cc 3DHS Edge 540. But that is a while down the road.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much with this ramble lol.

RandyDSok

Tony...

Just an FYI why I refer to the GP Edge 540T as more of a sport flyer than a 3D airframe.... My 3DHS 48" Extra ( the red one I fly often ) has ailerons that are over 3" deep at the wing root and the elevator is over 4"... my 47" Vyper ( yellow one ) has over 4" at the root with it's elevator just under 4". Basically the control surfaces are much larger so they have the authority needed during post stall ( ie slow speed ).

Obviously those sizes are much larger than scale, as is the GP... it's just the GP isn't quite up to what I think of for a 3D airframe... just a more than a conventional sport flyer has.

Tony

Staff member
It's all good bro. As stated I have yet to even fly a 3DHS plane and in all honesty, I have never looked all that closely to yours compared to mine when they were next to each other. If/when we ever fly together again, I will have to pay more attention lol.

Top Bottom