Batteries When to dispose of li po batteries

I have just replaced my batteries as they started to puff up over the last few uses, What is the best way to dispose of them, what do i look out for when they need replacing, How many flights can i get out of a battery on average, i will not be giving the batteries a hard time as im only at the learning to hover stage - thanks Allan

10440273_783637091714414_2339334514540754531_n.jpg1966851_783637065047750_5596230292085193372_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pics of new and old batts above

10440273_783637091714414_2339334514540754531_n.jpg

1966851_783637065047750_5596230292085193372_n.jpg

Stambo

Do you use a low voltage alarm?
The how many flights question depends on the use and care of your batteries.
I have some that are heading for 2 years old and have been discharged and charged sometimes 2 to 3 times a day and sometimes less than once a month. Still going strong.
The ones I had in my early RC days are a bit puffy due to lack of knowledge and over discharging. They only get used for testing on the ground or running my video receiver.

i dont have a low voltage alarm, i run the batteries for about 4.30 mins. when i put on charge the cell voltage is about 3.8v, the batteries above i got from a friend and are about 2 years old but seem to perform ok, i purchased new ones this week and thats when i noticed how puffy they were, a bit concerned about using them again

murankar

Staff member
Battery life varies from pack to pack and brand to brand. I have had 3 gens ace last a little over 2 years with some discharges going to low. When not in use I put them on storage charge.

As long as you do not put more than 80% of the mah you should be fine. Voltages below 3.5 is pushing it. Keep your end voltage around 3.7 or 3.8. At least that's what I do.

I now have some pulse ultra packs that don't have much use. I put them on storage charge and froze them. Keeping the internal heat down will help prolong your packs also.

Other things to look at is internal resistance. This is a more advanced way of tracking pack life. There are a lit of variables that can affect your ir readings so its more of a last resort.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Battery life varies from pack to pack and brand to brand. I have had 3 gens ace last a little over 2 years with some discharges going to low. When not in use I put them on storage charge.

As long as you do not put more than 80% of the mah you should be fine. Voltages below 3.5 is pushing it. Keep your end voltage around 3.7 or 3.8. At least that's what I do.

I now have some pulse ultra packs that don't have much use. I put them on storage charge and froze them. Keeping the internal heat down will help prolong your packs also.

Other things to look at is internal resistance. This is a more advanced way of tracking pack life. There are a lit of variables that can affect your ir readings so its more of a last resort.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Can you tell me what the safe end voltage will be for 6s battery since 3.7 or 3.8 is for 3s battery. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Actually, the 3.7/3.8 is per cell, so 6s will be the same. And that is a perfect way to take care of your batteries. you are only running them down to storage charge which is GREAT!

IMO, those batteries are not dead just yet. You can still fly them. When they get 1/8" to 3/16" of air in them on each side, then they are done.

As for disposing of them, I myself would run them down on a helicopter as far as you can, then hook them up to a light, like a head light from a car. Let the light dead short the battery until the light goes completely out.

Once that is done, solder the positive and negative leads together. This will ensure it will not gain a residual charge that could start a fire.

From there, after soldering the wires together, as long as the battery remains cool to the touch (after cooling down from the light), it will be safe to just toss in the trash (bin).

Hope this helps.

Lee

If you buy a small Voltage alarm, this will tell you when your batteries are getting beyond there use.
I have mine set to 3.6V under load, which is roughly 3.7 to 3.8V at rest as you are doing now.
As the resistance builds over time and usage, your voltage under load will drop quicker.
So your flight times will drop to the point, its not worth using them any more.
Helicopter need good power, so once they are to weak to power my heli, they become airplane batteries, then they become FPV Reciever batteries.
And then I trash them.
Your batteries don't look too puffed yet. Just store them in a safe container ( I use an ammo box or a large petty cash box)
Here is a more entertaining way to dispose of old lipos, but do it at your own risk.
Lipo Destruction - YouTube

Top Bottom