General When Neighbors And Others Ask? Where To Start

In my yard or even when I take the kids to the park I will usually take one of the copters along. I will get to flying and more times than not someone or a few in the crowd will ask me how do I get me or kids started?

I tell them best way even to see if it is for you go to Wal Mart Sky Rover puts out a decent line you are looking for 3.5 channel I will recommend a 3.5 so you can have enjoyment from the start. As you progress you will know you will get bored....Not a loss pass that 3.5 channel to kids and step up. For me when I started with the 3.5 channel take-off-hover control and landing were first. Then I graduated to some of the Fancier 3.5 flight got bored and got a 4 channel but the basics of take-off-hover control-landing were the first with the 4 channel even as I progress to a 4 channel Collective Pitch VS a Fixed Pitched controls a little different in handling. Start with a 3.5 if you like it progress up. Grabbing a T-Rex or Clone might leave one with a bad experience or taste with the hobby/sport I`d rather you did not receive that from me. And I also mention this forum as a great place for advise and how to`s.

murankar

Staff member
That is fair advise. I would suggest a standard 4 channel right off the rip. That way they can learn the sticks the right way.

I never flew a 3.5 channel but have flown a 3 channel so I don't know how close or different they are.

I am not a huge fan of hobbytown in my area after being back stabbed. I do recommend the Aires product line. Its fairly affordable over eflight and every model is a complete kit with radio batteries and charger. All of their products can be repaired by the consumer.

That's what I would recommend. Kids will break stuff, and this gives them that flexibility out of the box.

Tony

Staff member
The Blade line is pretty good, but as URI stated, I don't have a very good relationship with my local hobbytown either. And you are not getting out of there without spending a bill or more for an entry level helicopter. I have heard great things, and even had a V911 sent to me for review that I have not had the time to get around to. It is very stable, easy to fly, and is very much like the mSR which is THE helicopter I learned how to fly on.

I also agree to stay away from the 3.5's. A lot of times those are programmed to have the rudder on the right stick and once they get into FP 4ch, the rudder is now on the left stick. Very hard to reprogram your fingers with that. So I highly suggest starting out with a cheap 4ch like the V911.

Here is a link to that helicopter. It is also a link that helps out the site a little bit. So if you want to pass out the link to others, that would be greatly appreciated.

WLtoys V911 2.4GHz 4CH Remote Control RC Helicopter with Gyro Mode 2

That is fair advise. I would suggest a standard 4 channel right off the rip. That way they can learn the sticks the right way.

I never flew a 3.5 channel but have flown a 3 channel so I don't know how close or different they are.

I am not a huge fan of hobbytown in my area after being back stabbed. I do recommend the Aires product line. Its fairly affordable over eflight and every model is a complete kit with radio batteries and charger. All of their products can be repaired by the consumer.

That's what I would recommend. Kids will break stuff, and this gives them that flexibility out of the box.
3 and 3.5 are on basic side the same the sticks are set up same as 4 channel the 3 and 3.5 do not have the strafe capabilities of the 4 channel....(side to side flight) Up-Down-Turn Left-Right-Pirouette the 4 channel has added commands of fly left - right as the nose faces.

The Blade line is pretty good, but as URI stated, I don't have a very good relationship with my local hobbytown either. And you are not getting out of there without spending a bill or more for an entry level helicopter. I have heard great things, and even had a V911 sent to me for review that I have not had the time to get around to. It is very stable, easy to fly, and is very much like the mSR which is THE helicopter I learned how to fly on.

I also agree to stay away from the 3.5's. A lot of times those are programmed to have the rudder on the right stick and once they get into FP 4ch, the rudder is now on the left stick. Very hard to reprogram your fingers with that. So I highly suggest starting out with a cheap 4ch like the V911.

Here is a link to that helicopter. It is also a link that helps out the site a little bit. So if you want to pass out the link to others, that would be greatly appreciated.

WLtoys V911 2.4GHz 4CH Remote Control RC Helicopter with Gyro Mode 2
I do a lot of banggood-ebay-alexnld grant it waiting is a beast I get what I ordered. One company ALLWINSHOP pulled a bait/switch showed one copter and sent an inferior When I called on it I got good luck all we advertised was a 4 channel V-911.

Admiral

I've started a couple of people off on Drones and that went OK except if your going to help them out with their helicopters make sue that the drone can use the mode that you fly, so that you can help them setup and test fly for them if need be. One is doing OK and is up to 450 size, the other has stayed with small drones.

But most important they are both having fun.

I've started a couple of people off on Drones and that went OK except if your going to help them out with their helicopters make sue that the drone can use the mode that you fly, so that you can help them setup and test fly for them if need be. One is doing OK and is up to 450 size, the other has stayed with small drones.

But most important they are both having fun.
I have tried the drones they are fun.....

Stambo

I agree totally with the Tony's V911 suggestion.
They are really cheap to buy and fly remarkably well.
I have had at 4 or 5 of them and they have been bashed and smashed by many a learner.
Only 2 still fly, the others have been cannibalised for parts over the years, but at $20 for a BNF I'm fine with that.
My son was flying one at 6 years old, now he throws it around like he was born with the controller in his hands.
The main thing I would suggest is batteries, get many batteries.
At 4 or 5 minutes flying time once you start throwing it around, one or 2 is just not enough.

murankar

Staff member
Yes for orientation abstracts it. Ground pounders have breaks air craft don't. With flying you need to learn how to fly out of bad situation or risk the crash.

Top Bottom