FBL Gyro What's the Difference Between These 2

Derek

Actually, the way that I understand it is that both units are "Brain". They both do the same thing with the same programming but the red one is rebranded as Ikon. The Ikon2 has some new features, including Rescue. I have the Ikon on my Trex 600 and I love it.

heli-maniac

Yes those are the 2nd gen versions they are the same The Ikon name is for Helidirect's version
the new one Has a 2 over the o In ikon and is in a see through case
And has more features and better sensors .

If you have one that someone sold you saying its a V2 thats just a 2nd gen

ikon2-flybarless-system-dcb.jpg

Last edited:

Smoggie

Its very confusing the way they have named the Ikon. They introduced the 'iKon v2' about three years ago. The latest version just released they have confusingly called the 'iKon2'. This is just asking for a mix up in my opinion. Both FBL controllers in the original post are the 'old' type. So PLANETGETLOW, if your controller looks like the first picture then you have the older version.

This is a bigger image of the new one:
ikon2-flybarless-system-264.jpg

But they do several versions, some with heavy duty power input (HD) and some with integrated bluetooth, and mini and micro versions too: Flybarless Systems

ikon2-flybarless-system-264.jpg

heli-maniac

MSH never called the Ikon or brain a V2 that is just what everyone called it because it had the polarity protection and new case .

Smoggie

MSH never called the Ikon or brain a V2 that is just what everyone called it because it had the polarity protection and new case .

Fair point but even if the 'V2' or 'Generation 2' name was never 'official' it is what it was universally known as, so it's still confusing. Something like 'ikon Pro' for the new one would have avoided the issue.

Too late now.....

Tony

Staff member
I've always seen it as the first Ikon/Brain was version 1.0. Then they come out with an update, V1.1. Then they added polarity protection, V1.2. This new one would be V2.0.

Its very confusing the way they have named the Ikon. They introduced the 'iKon v2' about three years ago. The latest version just released they have confusingly called the 'iKon2'. This is just asking for a mix up in my opinion. Both FBL controllers in the original post are the 'old' type. So PLANETGETLOW, if your controller looks like the first picture then you have the older version.

This is a bigger image of the new one:
View attachment 16279

But they do several versions, some with heavy duty power input (HD) and some with integrated bluetooth, and mini and micro versions too: Flybarless Systems

Oh wow, I didnt even notice that in my original post. I have the one you pictured in my 500.

The other one is going in the 450L that is coming today.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, the two in your OP are exactly the same, just a different case. The board and firmware are the same.

Smoggie

No, I'm pretty sure that the metal case was just an optional extra... more 'bling' than anything else.

Smoggie

I guess my question is, which is better... Brain 2 or Ikon2

If they are both the latest 'suffix 2' models then there is no difference other than the colour of the case and the name... buy the cheapest or the one with the colour you like most!

heli-maniac

Standard Brain 2 or mini brain2 or if you like to use a tablet or phone to do quick adj. the brain 2 with built in bluetooth
Same goes for the Ikon2 they are the same units
they are still working the kinks out of the app . and yes you have to pay for the app its like 7 bucks now I think

Last edited:

Smoggie

Your problem would be that the servo ports are the type for tiny 'sub micro' servos found on micro size helis. Standard servo plugs as found in a 450 heli won't fit.

Top Bottom