Scale What went wrong

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I decided to take my 450 scale heli out for a test hover this evening before it got dark. From the beginning the heli didn't seem and sound right. It ended up in a crash :( My question is do I have to re program the HobbyWing 60a V3 ESC again once I loss bind? I have a video uploading now but it seem and sounded like the gov in the ESC wasn't functioning right the whole time before the crash. Second question, do I leave the frame in the shell when It comes to setting up the AR7200BX again. Most of the time I already have the heli set up before I put it in the shell. This time I have a choice since I have to pull the frame out to fix.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well everyone shows good flying but this time I'm showing my version of when,"Helis Gone Wild" video. Looks like a bad crash but I got out pretty cheap... this time :)

Admiral

Bad luck with it going in like that, to me it sounded like the body was vibrating against something internal, prior to the crash.

Normally I would not touch the ESC after a crash unless I thought there was an issue with it, it is also not normal for an AR7200BX to loose bind after a crash are you sure it has?

I normally program the FC out of the body, mainly because it is awkward to to do it in the body.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you Admiral. I lost bind when I was having problems with my TX losing power last week. I got the TX working again and I did get the AR7200BX to bind again. I finally got her taken apart. Found out the tail boom came loose from the boom holder and created a loose belt. The vibration and the belt slipping contribute to the crash. I got lucky and nothing happen to the shell :). I did replace the main blade. The tail servo gear broke alone with a stripped main gear. Since I have the frame out for repair, I will program the FC out of the shell. I was just wandering if it can be done with the frame in the shell. She's pretty much done getting back together. I hope to have her done for an evening flight with the lights on.

Boogs

I don't think the AR7200BX will lose it's settings from losing the bind to the Tx. That said, going thru it again to confirm the settings is never a bad idea. This is much easier to do out of the shell, getting to the button can be difficult, but if there's room enough why not? Glad damage was minimal and you're able to get it sorted.

Smoggie

It really shouldn't loose bind just because the Tx had a flat battery, but if you do re-bind there should be no need to re-program the FBL or the ESC.

With hindsight you could hear the tail belt slipping right from the get go. Morale of the story I guess is that if it doesnt sound right dont try to fly until you find out why and put it right.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Your absolutely right Smoggie. I should of stayed grounded. Curiosity kill the bird :(

Fortunately," Curiosity" only wounded her this time!!
Glad it wasn't that bad.
Yet another reminder of, "Checked,and double Checked"
Hope next time is better.
Robert

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
"Checked,and double Checked" your so right. I'm glad I did Unfortunately upon further inspection of the heli, few more things were found that were damage in the crash :( The usual parts, main gear,DFC main/feathering shaft, Thrust bearing inside the blade grip holder, ... still after all that,the shell survived. I have 11t gear on the motor shaft. I though it was high and wondering to drop the tooth count from 11 to 9? I have the Align BL460MX motor. Any thought on this?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Ok ladies and gentlemen. I'm getting closer. I was thinking about dropping a tooth on the motor from 11T to 10T but ended up putting a 13T on it instead. I ran out of slanted main gear so straight main gear it is. The smallest straight main gear I had was 13T, oh well. I also change the blade pitch from 13.6 down to 12 degrees. I think it's good enough to put back into it's shell this evening. Maybe one more hover to be sure :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there. I finally got the 450 scale heli going but my settings are all screwed up. I have a 10T motor pinion on the Align 450MX with HW 60A ESC. My TX normal settings are 0,25,50,75,100 stunt 1= straight 70 stunt 2= straight 75. I wasn't thinking but I should of flown her in a wider space, especially at night. I had to see and here her hover around. Any advice well appreciated :)

Top Bottom