Trucks What to get?

bigone5500

I'm looking at the traxxas tmaxx 3.3. But I would like some other brand suggestions on a truck. I prefer the monster truck style.

ChopDrifter

get the one you can get parts for easily, ie if you plan to upgrade to electric or vice versa. What ever that your LHS carries

Tony

Staff member
Only a bad choice if you don't like buying nitro lol. Be sure to break the engine in properly. If you don't, they burn up quickly. And get a temp gauge. And keep it under 230ºF.

bigone5500

They said run 4 tanks through it and don't touch the adjustment screws. I would like to try and get it next week. It's $480 so I'll try to find a better deal. If anyone knows of a better deal, let me know.

Tony

Staff member
$500 is pretty good especially considering it comes Ready To Run with Tx and all.

bigone5500

What fuel should I get? So many '%' choices. I plan on just running around the yard with it and maybe taking it in a large field to 'let it loose' once in a while. I don't have any desire to race.

Tony

Staff member
Just stick with 20%, no need to go higher. I would suggest Blue Thunder NON Race formula.

bigone5500

So what all do I need to purchase with this truck? I thought it has a built in glow igniter, do I need to get one?

Tony

Staff member
I think they all come with EZ Starts on them. If not, they will tell you. But, get a new glow plug because you are going to want to replace yours after break in because they normally pop once you start leaning them out afterwards. Get after run oil and put a couple drops in the head and a couple in the carb and then spin it over when you are done for the day. And make sure it has some kind of lithium battery in it, nothing worse than replacing AA's all the time. A 5 cell NiMh also works, but you can get more run time out of a LiFe pack.

bigone5500

It does come with an easy start. I wasn't sure if it was for the glow plug too. Aside from consumables, should I think about upgrading anything to improve sturdiness such as plastic parts for aluminum?

Tony

Staff member
I never "upgrade" to aluminum parts because aluminum bends and does not bend back. I would rather break an A-Arm than spend an arm and a leg on one that is going to bend in the same kind of crash. Since this is a 3.3, if it does not have steel driveshafts, then that is definitely a great purchase.

As for the A-Arms, RPM makes some great ones. Stronger than stock, but will still bend slightly before breaking, but when they bend, they spring back.

Tony

Staff member
Yes. That engine will twist the plastic ones into pretzels. Hell, I was breaking the plastic ones with a .15, although it was not a stock T-Maxx engine doing it lol. I was running a .15 that probably made more power than the Traxxas 3.3...

bigone5500

I see on the traxxas site that they state the tmaxx 3.3 has Revo spec whatever. Is the Revo a better machine?

What it actually says:

• Revo-Spec two-speed transmission and center driveline

Tony

Staff member
Could mean it has steel on the center, but not on the arms. And the revo has inboard shocks with cantilevers. Very cool truck, but you pay for it.

Top Bottom