What to do!

Slobberdog

Well have been looking around for a while thinking of my next venture or project to do, I fancy a few things but can't make my mind up as to what to do,

I have been saving my sheckles awaiting the blade 350 qx to come out and now it's here I'm not sure I want one, with the prop issues people are seeing and the flimsy nature of the body it's got me in a stir, that's why I can't make up my mind, just to add to the mix I want a bigger Heli ie 500 or 550 but tbh I can justify spending that type of money on a new one for a good while, but I want something,

few and far between bargains come up around my neck of the woods and it seems like people are asking silly money for used stuff at present, luckily it's winter over here so indoor flying it is for a while,

I want a GOBBY 500 but think I would be to scared to fly the thing and as said before could not justify the cost of getting it in the air.

Lol we always want to be able to have a choice, but there's always to many variables to mAke it an easy one,

:banghead::banghead::wall:

treff

Spend some money Kev, you know you want to LOL Warp 360 is just the heli for the new year.
Think of those great big lipos, the sound of that motor, the whirl of those blades, that beautiful canopy.
Go for it Kev, now or never. LOL
PS Takes me a few months to decide on what socks to put on LOL

Lee

If you are looking for a quad, there are plenty out there. The 350QX is one option. Theres also the DJi, the QAV500, the TBS discovery. Plenty of choices and something different to fly other than a heli or plane. :)

Slobberdog

Yeah been looking at the protos 500 fbl as its a pretty good price but then need servos and gyro.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Lee liked the look at the 350 qx as it's fully ready to go, and has gps and alt hold

murankar

Staff member
If it's quads you want to throw around scratch build it. They are super cheap to build and that should be enough to get you going.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

wolfman76

If you are looking for a quad, there are plenty out there. The 350QX is one option. Theres also the DJi, the QAV500, the TBS discovery. Plenty of choices and something different to fly other than a heli or plane. :)

I will have to agree with Lee if it is a quad you want but only a beginner might i recommend going to blueskyrc.com and you can get a frame for 30 or less most of which are 20 out Less they even gives a link for where to purchase the 1/2" square wood rods for the arms always get extra incase of crashes. ... maybe 1000kv motors from hobbyking along with a kk board for the controller all of which you can get pretty cheap definitely pick up some 30amp multistar or afro esc's designed for multirotors tasajara says the afro escs are good... looks of choices but for beginner quad what i mentioned might be a good option to start with to you get good at flying them...

Slobberdog

I will have to agree with Lee if it is a quad you want but only a beginner might i recommend going to blueskyrc.com and you can get a frame for 30 or less most of which are 20 out Less they even gives a link for where to purchase the 1/2" square wood rods for the arms always get extra incase of crashes. ... maybe 1000kv motors from hobbyking along with a kk board for the controller all of which you can get pretty cheap definitely pick up some 30amp multistar or afro esc's designed for multirotors tasajara says the afro escs are good... looks of choices but for beginner quad what i mentioned might be a good option to start with to you get good at flying them...

Thanks Kyle, if I build a scratch build I would prob go for the 450 framewheel but tbh don't know if I want to go down the build road with one yet,

that's why I fancied the blade it has return to home alt hold gps hold and its all done ready to roll, plus has a good mode for beginners to learn on, just wish it was a bit more not toy looking or feeling maybe

Slobberdog

Well just been having a nose about and I can get an F450 frame wheel DJI 2212 motors and Opto esc's with NASA m lite with GPS for the same price as the blade, what do you guys think on those specs,

And would I be ok for using this on 3s 2200's

Tony

Staff member
Kev, don't let building a quad intimidate you. Even if you do a complete scratch build, you can do it. It's pretty simple. And you can save a LOT of money doing it that way. You know where to go if you have questions!

Slobberdog

Thanks Tony, building not a prob, what gets me thinking is the flashing esc's and matching motors and the same sort of thing with the firmwares available for the flight controllers there's just to much info and stuff to take in, the grey matter is just not so spongy these days.

Tony

Staff member
We all have to start somewhere. I mean, if you want something that is just plug and play, then yes, the Blade quads are great. However, there are so many things that you can purchase that are just for quads these days, that there shouldn't be any flashing of anything. Just plug it in, set it up as you would a helicopter gyro, and fly it. There really is no need when you are starting out to have to flash the ESC's and update to the latest firmware in the FC.

Slobberdog

That was one of the concerns, that is why the Blade was appealing.

I am quite interested in the F450 though and the Naza set up so will have to see, will be a better platform to maybe get into FPV later.

Just see there is a few concerns about fly away's with these units

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah, the Naza is a great FC that you can do just about anything with. Expensive, but works great. And the F450 (sounds like a Ford to me, I hate fords lmao) has been proven to be a great frame.

Slobberdog

It's appealing cos I can get the all you need to build quad just needing a rx for just cheaper than the Blade, I think it will cost me maybe $15 more all in all.

Derek

Hey Kev! if you are looking into getting into multirotors, I'd like to share with you the direction that I'll be taking. Do a search on Youtube for "Hallstudio". Check out some of his tricopters and v-tail quad copters. All scratch built. All very aerobatic. All very stable. All FPV worthy.

In the end, the final decision will be yours, but I wanted to show you what I've been looking at. I like the idea of building it, myself.

Good luck buddy!

Slobberdog

That v tail with the motors at angles is mental, if I do go for the quad though I want to go for something that has plenty of spares and advice back up

At the moment is leaning towards the quad but the Protos 500 is hanging in there, just.........

Slobberdog

I have been waiting for weeks to get a 350qx quad but having second thoughts on this again, still really fancy the Protos 500, been looking around to see if I can find one that I can have a good deal on, hell any 500 heli that I could have a good deal on, seems like they are not many about at the moment, lol

Top Bottom