FBL Gyro What is the best Flybarless System to buy!.

ferrari.f1

Hi ,

I like to buy a Flybarless System with Autorecue mode like the Skookum Sk 720 Black Edition with 6 axis and a 32 bit Prozesor!, I thing this one has the best
technology, but it is a little bit expensive.
Or the iKon, Demon HC 3SX but this one has only 3 axis! Also the system don't know the real Horizon!.

Tony

Staff member
This is pretty much a loaded question. But IMO, the Skookum 720 or the Heli-Command gyros are going to be your best bet. The Align APS is another one to think about. The Ikon is not a recovery gyro, only self leveling IF you set it up correctly. and you must pay attention when setting it up. We had one guy hit his house, and another one lawn dart his heli into the ground because the setup was incorrect.

IMO, if you are looking for the cheapest one with recovery, get teh HC. There is a member on here that has put one on every heli he owns, and it has saved him thousands. Don't worry about 3 axis vs 6 axis and so on.

pvolcko

I'd agree. If bailout/recovery is a must have feature then HC is probably tops, Skookum next.

The Ikon self-level can be used as a bailout/recovery tool but you need to be careful when first trying it out. It isn't clear that the issues people encountered with it was setup or some kind of hardware defect or what. And there are others on this forum, myself included, who do use Ikon and the SL feature without issue (so far).

That said, HeliCommand/Bavarian Demon if bulletproof bailout is your must have feature. And it is a very good FBL too. :)

Lee

You have seen how my Ikon works Antonio. Its a very solid unit, but as said, its not a recovery system. It will level the helicopter from any attitude, but you still must fly it out of trouble.
The only ones that do rescue the heli, are the Skookum, Bavarian Demon, and the Align APS.

ferrari.f1

Thanks for the Tips, but I see the SK 720 is the only one with an 32 Bit Processor! Plus an optional GPS!.
And the most Flybarles system are blind, also he doesn't have an digital artificial horizon!, that’s mean when he make a wrong calculations during the flight, he probably rescue in the wrong way, the but the SK 720 have all this digital components, also you can install it directly in a Multicopter!. Plus Flight Recorder.
See this video: SK-720 Self-Leveling Demo - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but need to say something. Saying that recovery and processors are a MUST in getting a gyro is like saying "I'm going to buy a bike, but it has BETTER have training wheels on it". No one will ever really learn how to fly if they use something that flies for them. IMO, that takes the challenge out of the hobby which is the part that I love. It took me over two years to get to where I am now, and I have never used anything with recovery. And I have never really crashed that much, just stayed safe while I was learning.

My $0.02...

Slobberdog

Have to agree with Tony's post above, I have been learning for 8 months and have not used anything with recovery or processors,

Ok it might take me a bit longer but I have the satisfaction of learning with control and within my abilities

I agree if you are learning 3d then the ability to flick the switch and save the bird is a good thing, but to learn to fly mmmh I don't know,

Lee

Just a reminder, one of his helis is a $30,000 turbine Airwolf. I'd be putting every bell and whistle on that thing to keep its behind in the air :D
At the moment its Flybarred, but i know he was thinking of modding it to FBL.

Tony

Staff member
That was a key fact that was left out lmao. Forgot all about him having that Airwolf. In that case, get the best possible gyro you can find lmao.

ferrari.f1

I started flying with the Heli RC in 1983, and had to start from "0" with nothing!. There were no forums, no internet!.
And when I started ten years ago with the Microcopters and saw how well that went with all those acelometers, the first thing I thought is put this electronic in a Heli!.
Now it is available, I do not think twice!, For safety first ( Heli and Person!), we all know the problem when you lose the way of the Heli, when you lose this you cannot control it!.
And this is the big help of electronics.

pvolcko

I'm not sure what the emphasis on 32bit processor is all about. These things aren't having to do anything that hugely complex in the math department. Simple PID loop controls. Tuning them and putting in feed forward and different axis mixing and all that can be interesting, but still nothing bad on the math side of things. Don't even need floating point really. These could run on 8bit atmel chips so long as they had enough clock cycles to do everything they needed to in a second of time.

Buy based on features and price and what is the best mix for you. If recovery feature is important then SK720 or Bavarian Demon/HeliCommand are your best options. 3GX with APS is pricey, but another option, plus it offers return to home, alt hold, and other GPS enabled features.

I personally wouldn't worry at all about what processor they're using or what they clock it at or what bit depth they're calculating at. It's immaterial so long as it gets the job done as an FBL and in the features it provides.

RC MAN

Most of the pros, not all, are using the MSH Brain FBL, it has a self level function also, just my 2 cents on that fbl stuff.

murankar

Staff member
The Bavarian demon and skookum 720 are I would say the best. This is based on what I have read and watched on YouTube.

If those are to pricey then the v-bar which is not to user intuitive.

For the money the symposium 540 and the ikon/brain are the great. They both have everything you will need to get started and are not to bad to setup. Also the ikon has a blue tooth options. Makes those minor setup tasks easy at the field.

ferrari.f1

In the end I buy the Skookum SK 720 Black Edition, works perfect, and my setup is that when Ieave the finger from the stick that the Heli autostabilizes in normal and in invert, have a lot of fun with it. Very recommendable, the setup is very easy with the software, I buy the Robotics Data viewer Pro to watch the flying data it's unbelievable this features!. And by the way is the only one in the market with a 32 bit Processor and 6 axis!, and the Black Edition with the Aluminum case have an excellent finish

Lee

Hi Antonio,
Great to hear you got a good unit. I like the sound of the Skookum.
I have been flying quite a lot since returning to the UK, but i need new batteries now. The cooler temperature seems to have affected the old batteries and they have lost there power.
Say hi to David and the other guys.
Hasta Luego :D

RC MAN

How about a 450 with a MCPX board for the fbl controller,
I have like 10 laying around, with burnt escs on them, but the controller still works :biggrin1:
Cool, a 450 that flys like a mcpx, hmmm, Got the plans, will do.

Top Bottom