Motors What is "motor desyncing?"

Derek

Im being faced with a new terminology.....motor desyncing.

Can someone explain this to me, preferably in terms that I'll understand?

...and how can i avoid this?

Smoggie

I've not heard it described in precisely those terms but what I assume it means is when under heavy load the motor slips out of synchronisation with the ESC. This usually happens during fast acceleration of the motor and/or when a sudden high load is applied. Basically the motor cant produce enough torque to 'keep up' with the rotating magnetic field generated by the ESC, so it slips back thus losing synchronisation with the ESC.

Personally I've seen this more on planes than on helis, it's quite common on 3D planes that spin big props. It's usually quite obvious when it happens because the motor emits a loud squealing noise, I've often heard it called 'timing squeal'. If you do experience it reduce the power immediately because the motor will burn out very quickly.

Often running more advanced timing in the ESC fixes it, if not you have to prop down.

Derek

Ok...i think i understand what you are saying. Thanks for the reply.

My concern is the possibility of this "slip" on my new Super Class 770mm quad that im building. I surely dont want to be in the middle of a flight and have it come crashing down (obviously lol).

Smoggie

It only happens under sudden acceleration/load so if you did heat the tell-tale squeal all you do is back off on power, land, and try more advanced timing on the ESC. It usually only happens when you are pushing the motor hard with a prop that's right at the limits of what the motor can spin.

Derek

...right at the limits of what the motor can spin...

The motor specs state that these motors can turn a 17" prop on 8S. Im running 15" props on 6S.

In your opinion....do you think I'll be in good shape?

Id like to be able to get into the blheli suite to make adjustments but im using a KISS fc and my ground and signal wires are soldered to the fc. Further discussion on that issue is probably more suited in another area of the forum.

Derek

Thanks for your time! Thats very encouraging! Once i get my pc back from the computer shop, I'll post some pics and specs of my build.

Top Bottom