General What is Gyro Delay?

Lee

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have learnt what i know, from reading in this great forum and others. And from building and rebuilding helis over the last year and a half. So i still consider myself a noobie.
This is my interpretation right or wrong of what delay is.
Your servo receives data at a certain speed. Cheaper servos and analog servos will process this info slower than more expensive and digital servos.
You gyro receives info from the heli in the form of movement and translates that into a corrective signal, then passed to the servo.
If the gyro sends this info to the servo faster than it can process, things get erratic. on the other hand, if the gyro sends the info too slowly the heli tail will drift back and forward like a drunk guy trying to get home when the Bars closed :D.
So the delay dial on the gyro is to match the processing speed of your particular servo.

In lay mens terms if i was the gyro and you were the servo. I will tell you to move left or right in different ways
Left...........Right............Left............Ri ght +75% Delay
Left...Right...Left...Right 50% Delay
LeftRightLeftRight 0% Delay
Depending on how fast you can interpret what i'm saying, one of these will be right and two will cause you to get confused

I hope this helps, and if anyone can add to this or correct my explanation please do.
Cheers Lee

Keith

Was that Left... Right... or Right... Left.. hic... Fink oil ave anudder dink... hic...

Good explanation Lee... Made sense to me...

Tony

Staff member
I have always said that the delay is the action between the heli and the gyro and when it will tell the servo when to move. If you have no delay, the gyro will not delay the signal. If you set it on a delay, then the gyro will hold that signal for a millisecond or so then send it to the servo. The only servo that I have used that actually goes with the Hz of the servo is the GA-250, and I'm sure the Align's do as well. IMO, delay has nothing to do with the Hz, but rather the time it takes the gyro to tell the servo to move after it receives an input from the heli.

Top Bottom