ESC what esc for my 550e

heli-maniac

OK sold my gopro
so now im looking for a esc for the 550e getting closer
i have been looking at the castle creation talon 90
i know im not buying another Aling

what you guys think

Lee

The Castle Creation ESCs are great. I love my Ice 100A. The data logging allows you to see exactly what was happening during your flight. They have just released the new range of Edge escs, so take a look at them too. But the Talon looks like a great choice for the 550.

heli-maniac

the only thing im not liking about it is spend 24.00 on the link or wait on the esc to get here and send in for the free one and wait wait wait

Lee

That really pee'd me off, cause i didn't know you got a free one, so i already ordered one. Why can't they just send it with the ESC in the first place if they are free.

Lee

Yeah but once you have it, you can set up so many things. They really are great ESCs

Bruno

well i just ordered the talon 90
now just got to get the FBL controller

Did you receive the Talon 90? That's what I installed as it came with my 550 kit. I also got the external Castle Pro BEC. I just ordered the castle link with the coupon. The BEC has a pry for the link/chip. I am new to this system and realized that without the external BEC I do not see how the link/chip would connect directly to the ESC. What am I missing here?

heli-maniac

Wow this is old
Yes i got it flew it a few times then took it off and sold it didnt like how hot it would get
I didnt run a bec with mine but the link /chip you call it should be for programing the bec
It should have a red and a black lead that you solder to the ESC battery leads
the link /chip you call it should be the same thing as a Castle link and it plugs in to the rx lead

Bruno

Wow this is old
Yes i got it flew it a few times then took it off and sold it didnt like how hot it would get
I didnt run a bec with mine but the link /chip you call it should be for programing the bec
It should have a red and a black lead that you solder to the ESC battery leads
the link /chip you call it should be the same thing as a Castle link and it plugs in to the rx lead

May be an old post but your history wit this product may be to my heli's benefit. Yea, I have read that the Talon 90 tend to fail. This is why this system will have the external CC BEC PRO. This should help to keep the system cool. The degree of this build is a new venture for me not to mention programming ESC and BEC. Not something I have done before. Fortunately, there is a good amount of Info available however I only trust a select few resources based on my experience and research. I have found your recommendations to be consistently on the mark.

Question: the Align servos I am using DS615 (cyclic) and DS655 are rated at 4.8-6.0 volts. align recommends Talon 90 BEC be set to 6.0 volts. Do you think I should set the BEC PRO to 6.0 volts as well? BEC PRO default is 5.1 volts.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Castle Creation ESCs are great. I love my Ice 100A. The data logging allows you to see exactly what was happening during your flight. They have just released the new range of Edge escs, so take a look at them too. But the Talon looks like a great choice for the 550.

Hi Lee, ( I posted an identical reply with Super Bad's post in this thread). I am building a Trex 550E DFC with Talon 90 ESC and an external BEC PRO.

May be an old post but your history wit this product may be to my heli's benefit. Yea, I have read that the Talon 90 tend to fail. This is why this system will have the external CC BEC PRO. This should help to keep the system cool. The degree of this build is a new venture for me not to mention programming ESC and BEC. Not something I have done before. Fortunately, there is a good amount of Info available however I only trust a select few resources based on my experience and research. I have found your recommendations to be consistently on the mark.

Question: the Align servos I am using DS615 (cyclic) and DS655 are rated at 4.8-6.0 volts. align recommends Talon 90 BEC be set to 6.0 volts. Do you think I should set the BEC PRO to 6.0 volts as well? BEC PRO default is 5.1 volts.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!!

Last edited:

Lee

Hey Bruno it's not the BEC that's the issue as my friend is using an ex battery, not the BEC . I just think its under rated for the motor. I was just recommende to drop the timing from 12 to 8 to try and solve this issue. Cannot test this theory until my friend gets his replacement bits from the last crash. Good luck

Top Bottom