What A Horrible Way To End The Weekend.... (mild language)

Tony

Staff member
The phrase for today is... Sun-Of-A-Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were going to mow today since we didn't get to it before the storm yesterday. I was going to do it this morning, but still way too wet. So we went and picked up some free wire for tomato cages, new bolt cutters, new can crusher and a new fry press. Got back, yard was dry, decided to use said fry cutter and have some burgers and fries. And they were good.

Finally get to mowing, and I tell the wife that I wanted her to pull the lawn aerator around with her and try to get some more oxygen into the soil. So as I'm trying to find the pin that somehow came up missing to hook the trailer to the mower, she tries to start it. It hits compression and just stops. It's never done this. She does it some more, same thing. I go over there and try it, same thing.

It was then that we saw fuel spilling out of the air cleaner, I went to check the oil and loosened the fill, but decided to take the air filter off. It was soaked in gas. So I reached over and went to start it and it blew gas, and a lot of it, out of the oil fill pipe.

So now, I don't know if it was run last weekend with gas in the oil. If it was, the bearings and cylinder walls are shot. This sucks, we JUST had a service done on this thing three weeks ago tomorrow.

so I go back to the ole green monster, my old 1995 craftsman tractor that we had to choke the hell out of to keep it running. Now, it won't even start. Oh, did I mention this is the motor with the jacked up battery wires because someone stole (yanked forcefully) the battery at our old house? Yup, that was the reason we moved lol. Damn crackheads.

So with a jumper box hooked up, I kept cranking on it. Nothing. Put some gas in the carb, fired right up then died when it ran out. I screwed with this thing for about 4 hours trying to rule out every possible issue. Pulled the carb off and cleaned the old gummed up gas out of it (it's been sitting for over two years). Did that about 3 times. Pulled the plug, getting spark. Pulled the FRONT COVER to check the valves, it was fine. So one last ditch effort, I pulled the carb off again and went into the garage.

I forced about 120psi through this thing and every passage was clean. took it back out and was putting it on the carb and installing the electric cut off when I saw one small hole that I hadn't cleaned. Son-Of-A-Bitch!!! Stuck a wire through that bitch, blew it out with brake cleaner, forced 120psi through it again, installed it on the green monster, choked it, cranked it and it fired right up. Took the choke off, running like it was supposed to, but a little loud.

Checked the oil (shutup, I know) and she had NONE in it lol. Put what I had left of a 20-50 bottle into it, still just barely touching the stick. Oh well, it's running.

Get on it and pull the PTO to engage the blades, nothing. :damnit:. Not having many patience left, I just started slamming this thing back and forth and it caught and kicked the blades on tossing out a crap load of dirt. Damn gophers. Go to slide the hydromatic trans in forward, nothing. reverse, nothing.

I push it forward and check the belt. Well worn, but should be working. Check the rear end, pulley is turning fine. belt is turning fine. After picking up the ass end about 3' in the air and dropping it (to knock something loose lmao) my grandmother comes over and says "what about that pin in the back, should that be pulled out that far?". HELL NO!!!

Pushed it back in, and we are driving. The green monster is alive once again. Kick in the PTO, and we are mowing!

Question is, how long will this last? What kind of damage was done to our new(ish) mowers engine? We just don't know. But, We will be getting a much bigger and better solution to this coming about mid week. This is going to be awesome!!! But these mowers are really PISSING ME OFF!!! ugh. Can I have a day off please...

So that's how my last day of the weekend went. How was your weekend?

callsign4223

Staff member
Spent all day Saturday on honey do list. Fixed drain in the tub, replaced all the drain plumbing for the kitchen sink, finally finished painting the fish tank stand, redid the overflow so it doesn't sound like a waterfall in my living room anymore.

Then got to mow and play softball today.

Looking forward to work tomorrow just to get a breather.

trainrider06

Ahh I know you were pissed, I sure would have been! That seems the way things go sometimes, just a wasted day it seems, but on the plus side, ya got the green monster back from the dead! :) hope the other mower is ok.
Ya gotta figure that much gas pissin in there, it probably just happened to it, and probably didn't screw bearings up on it.
Hopefully....dang how can ya clean that out?

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to have to drain the oil and leave it draining for a while. I could put diesel in there to help but I think a really good oil change will do the trick. And I need to pull the plug out and crank it over to clear out the cyl. But yeah, it sucks. My back is telling me about sitting on the ground all day yesterday.

Matt, it's about time you did something hahaha. But I feel ya.

trainrider06

Wonder if there is some sort of detergent type oil you could flush it with? Or maybe you could get a few cans of really cheap oil, fill it up, let it sit a day or so, then drain, repeat, couple times. Then run it a short time, drain that, and just change oil after 2-3 mows couple times. What caused the gas to get into the oil?

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty sure there is a bit of trash in the needle and seat inside the carb. Just have to tear it apart and find out.

And cheap oil? Yeah right lol. But it will have to be done.

vimy

Tony, there are some days when it just isn't worth it to get out of bed. That day sounds like such a day.

As far as the mower goes, it seems like it was severely flooded. To such an extent, that fuel has found it's way past the rings and into the oil sump.

I'm assuming the compression is still OK and what you described was a hydraulic lock when trying to start it.

That suggests it never ran with fuel in the oil as it could never have started in the first place.

If the bearings and the cylinder bores were damaged, you surely would have heard something when the crankshaft was turned and if it is a pull start, it would have felt as rough as guts.

The carburettor is in need of an overhaul or it wasn't serviced properly.

If this is any comfort to you, my neighbour has VW Golf (Rabbit to you) it is an EFI model that has a primer injector that operates only when starting. This however, developed a fault that allowed to operate full time. It did a similar thing, flooded the engine to the point where fuel got into the oil past the piston rings.

We thought the engine was stuffed, with ground bearings and damaged cylinder bores, but instead it has no damage and runs just fine. This engine ran like this for sometime as we were trying to find out why it was flooding.

You're probably lucky with this too.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, it has to be a small piece of trash in teh needle and seat within the carb. I'm going to tear it apart when I stop working these 13+ hour days and get it running again. I did get the little green monster running again, so we can at least mow, but I'm letting the yard grow to see if this "new mower..." can handle it hehe. Yup, I will do a short video of it. I really need to do some videos on other stuff. Man, this house owning thing is time consuming lol.

trainrider06

Brotha you need to adopt some 12-15 year old kids from an orphanage, or hire migrant workers to help out around there....just fix em a big pot of soup beans, and some tadars for their meals! Have em build themselves a little shack to house em in! Hehe

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well, I have the tadars in the garden, 3 rows worth that are growing amazingly. Carrots are doing great, onions are doing great as are the broccoli and just about everything else other than peppers and tomatoes. Not sure what is going on there. They blew up last year, and this year, they are not doing much at all.

Tony

Staff member
That sure could be it! We have had a LOT of it here lately. I think we are on tract to break the all time record in april.

trainrider06

Yeah here too, rains at least once twice a week so far this spring, am surprised that stuff ain't rotting in the ground!

Top Bottom