well the final parts are on their way!!!

murankar

Staff member
For some reason I can not fathom I bought a new tail servo. I have been so compelled to get this servo that I could not resist. I ended up getting the Savox SAV-SH-1257MG which is a metal gear servo. So now I need to decide if I want to sell the DS520 with one set of extra gears. I also have some new blades, main shafts and pinion gears coming with it.

Now that my electronics are complete I can now focus on getting ready for the new air frame. When that will come is still unknown at this time. You all will be the second to know, the wife being first.

If I sell and that is a light if, the DS520 it wont be till I return in just over 3 weeks. Not sure of price just make an offer and I will let you know if it is good. I know what they retail for and it has a new set of gear in it. The servo also still runs smooth and I have no issues with it. Right now I have the JR G270 3D paired with it and my tail is rock solid. one mod i did do is wrapped the cord and coiled it, that's it.

EXCITED, cant wait.

:yahoo:

murankar

Staff member
I got my final stuff in. The blades look really nice. Found out they are a horizon hobby brand so I hope they are just as good as other bands. I know they are not youngbloods or sab, so I'll find out before to long.

murankar

Staff member
Who makes the 520's?

Ran into a snag. My pinion set screw decided it didn't want to come out. Need to find some one with a drill and a small drill bit. I tried heat already and nothing. So I guess its drill time.

First impression on the blades, the silk screen is kinda jacked but not a deal breaker.

murankar

Staff member
I just took that off and used the savox metal gear version of it. My Ds 520 will be for sale when I get back. I also have 1 extra set of gears for it.

murankar

Staff member
Any suggestions on removing a striped grub screw. I am going to attempt to use an easy out.

I can't believe how tight I set the screw. I used way less thread lock on the screw this time.

I read many ways to do this and with it being on my motor I want to try the least damaging way.

Tony

Staff member
First is to take a cutoff wheel on a dremel and try to cut a slot in it. If it's too small, then try to cut all the way down to the motor shaft. When you hold the motor can and twist the pinion, it should break the grub screw. You will destroy the pinion, but you will save the motor. You can also try a very small left handed drill bit to drill it out. If you push hard enough, it may grab it and back it out. And easy out will not work, it's just too small IMO.

murankar

Staff member
Loosing the pinion is no biggie. I have another 14t in my parts box.

At the moment I do not have a dremmal to use. I am hoping that this soldier can get it out. He is going to use his jewler's easy outs first, if that fails the he said he would drill it. So will see what happens.

Tony

Staff member
I thought you learned your lesson on using a 14 tooth pinion? Didn't we have a thread where you were going to drop that down to an 11 or 12?

murankar

Staff member
Unless my boy is messing with me, I will be buying a new shaft for the motor. He told me he would need diamond head bits to get the grub out and that he broke colbolt drill bits on it. I really hope he is messing with me because really do not want to go back the the exceed helium if I dont have to. The motor shaft repair kit is $4 from scorpion so I am not to concerned about that cost, hell I might buy two for future needs. Anyhow I will update with the actual results after I get the motor back.

heli-maniac

well if you are changing the gear you can drill strait down the side of the motor shaft on the other side from the grub screw with drill bit just a little bigger than the main shaft then slide the shaft in to the new whole to release it

Tony

Staff member
I told you to use left handed drill bits lol. Those grub screws are hardened steel and you will play hell drilling them out. The left handed bits will grab the grub screw and back them out. Or it should.

murankar

Staff member
He did play hell and lost. I am not sure what I did but that screw is in there. I guess its a new shaft next week. Oh well lesson learned on that one.

murankar

Staff member
Ok, I have decided on using that exceed motor till I get home. I will be ordering the new motor shaft on wednesday and shipping it home. For now I am going to see what happens with this old motor. I really want to fly this thing since I have all the electrics on it that I want, I am also dieing to see how these new blades fly.

The motor is 3000 kv @ 300 watts. I was flying on the dreaded 14T pinion, today I have affixed a 12T just to see what happens. To be honest I don't know much about this area of heli setup. When I do the math I should be at approx 2131 rpm at the head. I guess I wont know unless I tach the head. That wont be for a while.

the numbers for this setup are as follows (In case someone wants to re calc my figures):

Motor: 300 watts
Battery: 11.1 volts (25C 2200 mah)
Main Gear: 150T
Pinion: 12T

that should be it. Right now I am charging batteries and waiting for thread lock to dry.

Top Bottom