Quad Well, My Into into FPV!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well I Desided over A year ago that I wanted to get into FPV. Now it seems that everyone on here has passed my by. Heck even Tony is looking into buying the radio and video equipment to start into FPV. I've looked into many different Tries and Quads machines over the last year or so. I was tentively hooked on the FPV Pilot Quad avalibull online at fpvpilot.com. I thought it was A Great Quad. Then A few weeks ago. Lee started talking about the QAV500 Quad. I looked at it the thought "They were close at what I thought A Quad should be" The feature that won my over to the QAV500 though, was the camera position and the abillity to use 3 cameras at one time. None of witch have any interfearance from the blades beeing in the camera shots. So I was going to order one has soon has it became Avalibull. Not geting A pay check this week due to my vacation I took two weeks ago diden't help either! LOL. Well has I was gathering infermation on what I needed, Magically 5 frames came avalibull. I checked out my finances and I have just enough to order my quad less the motors that are still out of stock. Now granted it may be A while till I can afford the video equipment for FPV flight Still I'll have the quad. A good start anyway! I'm still trying to understand exhactly what I need for video equipment anyways! So I'll have the quad by Wednesday. Way shorter shipping time than getting one to spain HA HA HA HA! LOL. Sorry Lee. Now im going to have to excelerate my flying skills fast! Oh Well.

:evil::evil::evil:

Tony

Staff member
Congrats on the purchase. If I do a quad, I'm thinking about designing my own to fly with. I have most of the tools in the shop to do so and if you really look at them, they are pretty easy to build custom. Now I just need to get the items and actually build the thing lol.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
i was going to go that way too myself but heck, I dont have the time to work on my truck let alond build a quad! And my truck is rusting out faster than I can see it coming. It will be off the road next winter or there won't be anything left of the doors and bed.

wolfman76

i still pland on building a quad myself but i am having trouble locating a place that sales the 1/2" square aluminum tubing needed for the arms plus not sure on motor choices can't afford nice expensive ones but i was bang for the buck i want enough motor to be able to handle a decent payload such as a go pro cam have been watching for new openpilot control board to become available plus the bluetooth and other attatchments to go with it looking for atleast 950 - 1000kv motors

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Isn't the toughest part about building a quad rotor the controller board? I mean, it seems to me that you have to have some way to send power to the right motor when it is needed, and so on. I obviously don't know anything about them, but are the "controller boards" available? (Me thinks it's time to Google up some quad info...)

Lee

There are lots of different control boards. KK, Open pilot, Naza, multiwii etc....

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If you build one from scratch, about $150.00 to $200.00. Using the plans that Lee posted in about post #9 that is. Lol.

Check out flitetest on you tube. They have a build and test video on there using those plans.

- - - Updated - - -

There are lots of different control boards. KK, Open pilot, Naza, multiwii etc....

Lee, how much do you know about the KK board? I ordered the black board with my QAV500. But I'm thinking of building one of the wooden ones first to learn to fly it. I was thinking about the KK board with the dim switches. Then I looked at the KK board with the readout on it. I liked the flip the switch and it goes into a hover feature on it. All though that one is $29.00 compared to $12.00. What do you think?

Lee

I haven't used the KK boards, only the Open Pilot CC board. I like the look of the KK with LCD screen. Thats going to make programming a lot easier.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I haven't used the KK boards, only the Open Pilot CC board. I like the look of the KK with LCD screen. Thats going to make programming a lot easier.

The board with the dim switches is the simplest. Lol you just flip four switches for your configuration and your done but no fancy gizmos on it!

Lee

How do you adjust the PID gains though? I really think the LCD is the way to go.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I do too! I'm going to get that one for my scratch built quad. The QAV500 I bought the back board from them. Plus the USB cable for it. I'm guessing you use your computer to set it up.

Lee

I'm gonna build the scratch H quad tomorrow, while a wait for the other escs to arrive. No flying though as the wind has been blowing up to 75mph the last few days and will carry on till friday.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I hear you. My club has a meet sat. We call it Fondra. People coming from all over. Completion and dog fight lying. Should be cool to watch but it's been in the high 90's. Hmmm.

Are you waiting for parts from hobby king? They are out of esc too. It will take a mounth to order from them. I should be making my parts order Friday for the H quad too.

Lee

My ESCs are coming from Portugal. So not too far from me. But they where out of stock when i ordered, then the new batch were held in customs for a long time. Jose from Open Pilot got them yesterday and sent 3 to me today. I hope to see them by the weekend or monday.

Top Bottom