Weather Bad Time To Build:)

Graham Lawrie

Weather is raining very bad :( so i put the new fin from the Dominator on my 450 pro:)

As you see from the mount bolt pictures it is just as well I changed it as they had bent??

I have had no impacts or anything that i think could have caused this? Picture dose not do it justice they are very bent.

Anyway as they say caught in time:)

Photo0028.jpgPhoto0024.jpgPhoto0025.jpgPhoto0026.jpgPhoto0027.jpg

For the more dilligent members out there after posting I spotted the obvious mistake and have corrected it:)

Photo0028.jpg

Photo0024.jpg

Photo0025.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

Photo0027.jpg

Last edited:

Derek

The pictures look great! It's been a little chilly here but it's been really windy lately. I haven't been out flying in over a week. So...I've done the same as you....build.

Lee

80mph winds down here Graham. But i don't think its going to take off with those blades ;)

pvolcko

Could happen just from moving it around, catching the fin on something and tweaking it. Seems that bolt would have had to have been loose for that to happen though, especially to that degree. That's quite a bend.

Graham Lawrie

I thought so to Paul:) The picture is not very good, but both bolts are bent? I have not caught anything, and I have probably had about 6 hours of hovering without any incidents?

If I had not swapped the tail fin due to bad weather and the dominator having a cool fin , I would never have spotted it and may have had a tail failure that had no explanation?

pvolcko

I doubt it would have failed. Even bent they should have been plenty strong enough to hold things together.

I'm actually wondering if they bent when you were taking them out. Did they bind against the CF tail fin holes and end up coming out at an angle and bend then? Or maybe you had them half way out and left the model for a bit, heard an unexplained thud then the wife came in from the room saying "what noise" and that nothing was wrong? :)

Graham Lawrie

I doubt it would have failed. Even bent they should have been plenty strong enough to hold things together.

I'm actually wondering if they bent when you were taking them out. Did they bind against the CF tail fin holes and end up coming out at an angle and bend then? Or maybe you had them half way out and left the model for a bit, heard an unexplained thud then the wife came in from the room saying "what noise" and that nothing was wrong? :)

LOL that brought a smile to my face:)

No, like I said, as you will know when a bolt is bent as you unscre it , it goes on an eliptical curve as it winds its way out, becoming more and more exaggerated as you near rhe bent section. They were both like this from the off.

Just thought it was strange.

If both bolts had failed the tail would have come slack and spun??

pvolcko

It is strange, indeed.

If they both failed: likely the tail would have flown right off the boom and your heli would have piroed in after you hit TH. Assuming of course you weren't blinded by a tail assembly sticking into your eye socket, in which case it would have piroed in under full power.

I prefer the first scenario. Call me glass half full. :)

Top Bottom