We Have Our Dedicated Server!!!

Tony

Staff member
Thanks to the members here, and Rodney for kicking me in the butt, we have a new dedicated server. If you are seeing this post, you are on the new server.

This server is much faster than our temp server that I had to move to and has more memory which is what was killing us before. And did I mention it was dedicated? So no more high server loads when we are not causing it lol.

Please have a look around and let me know if you find anything out of the ordinary. Everything should be good to go, but only time will tell. If you do find something, let me know and I will get it taken care of.

Also, the double posting should be at a minimum now. I have made a change in how the forum sends out emails (which is what was causing the pages to time out when replying) and now, it will send one email every second to everyone in the thread. Larger threads is where you get the bad double posting and I'm working on a fix for that as well.

Tony

Staff member
Here's hoping this one sticks.

One thing to note, thanks to shopping around a bit, I was able to save 66% off the price I was going to pay for a dedicated server. Actually, if you look at it in JUST the server standpoint, I was able to save 80% of the price per month. Not too shabby to have a completely dedicated server!

murankar

Staff member
Congrats on the find. I hope this one works out. Are the mobile plug ins going to go active again?

Tony

Staff member
I don't think those will ever be back. There are too many exploits in them where people can hack the site. It wasn't ever about resources on teh server in my decision to remove them, it was a safety aspect.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, it's all about safety of the site. I talked with someone that does this stuff for a living and he pulled it off of his sites. Sites with hundreds of thousands of members. so if he was worried about it, I should be too.

Tony

Staff member
All except for the emails. Something wrong with them. Going to take some time to figure out.

RandyDSok

The "New Post's" page is also still showing the "Welcome to the new server" text at the top of the posts ( just under the ads ) .. I'm guessing this should have been just a one time message and there isn't an "X" shown to close it as far as I see on the dark flame theme

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
There is an X. It's in the top right corner. Hard to see. I tried changing the X color, but was unsuccessful.

Smoggie

Has anyone else started to receive 'Deceptive site ahead' warnings from Google Chrome when visiting RC-Help since the new server came online?

I get this warning from Google Chrome:
ScreenHunter_20 Apr. 10 09.38.jpg

I've also tried Internet Explorer (which I rarely use these days) and that on the first visit give me a different warning about Adobe Flash installation which goes away when i tick the 'trusted site' box.. but might put others off.

ScreenHunter_20 Apr. 10 09.38.jpg

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Perhaps everyone should make certain their browser and/or Flash is up to date... for IE you can visit Adobe's website to get the latest ( if you aren't prompted on your computer for it )... in Chrome you can go to it's About-Settings and it'll update Chrome ( Flash is built into it )

I'm not seeing the warning on Chrome on mine... I'm using Google's DNS servers and have updated my Chrome to the latest version.

Admiral

Hi Tony,

Just got the same report from Firefox, I informed them that this Forum had change servers in the last 72 hours and that the previous user of this IP address may have been a Phisher, but not RC-Help and they should review their information.

Hope this helps

Smoggie

My Chrome is bang up to date (just checked) and I still get the messages. I think the fact that most people are getting the same message points to it not being down to anyones local setup.

Tony

Staff member
It has something to do with the server and quite honestly, it's pissing me off. All of this work and I may have to toss it all away, including the money invested... Complete suck!

Top Bottom