500 Warning warning warning!!!!!!!!!

trainrider06

I just learned a valuable lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!
My little crash I had was due to me the village idiot!!!!!!!!!!
a little recap.....put my Align DFC Pro together and just finished it up about a month ago....
Well I had a little mishap a couple weeks ago with it, the heli upon idol 1 initiating, became super duper aggressive....going up and down very very veeeeeeeeeery fast! So fast I couldn't catch it as it shot with lighting speed right down to the ground!!
CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found out one of my bearing blocks was installed wrong! I made a critical mistake of trusting the judgement of another that I originally got the frame from with the blocks already installed...
The top bearing block bearing was shoved out of the block itself, also the one way bearing shaft had moved up
out of the main gear assembly and one way holder....

This allowed I am assuming massive pitch in my blades (causing the crazy movements up and down, and eventual smack into the pavement)

so on the TRex 500 Pro DFC the bearing block orientation is as follows for anyone wondering......
Top bearing block: The lettering Faces DOWN!
Bottom bearing block Lettering faces UP!!!!!!
Be sure to check this if you have a question about it! IT IS CRITICAL!!!!!!!!!
Thats all.........
Rodney

Admiral

Hi Rodney, there still appears to be something wrong, the two bearing blocks are actually the same just installed in opposite directions, however there are locator pins with corresponding slots in the frame that prevent the blocks being installed upside down. Something may still be wrong if the blocks could be installed upside down??

trainrider06

I don't know Keith, neither have what you described, and I'll have to look again but I don't remember seeing a slot anywhere near where it mounts....

trainrider06

Yup know what your talking about, but can't say for sure mine has that
I know for sure bearing blocks don't have em...I'll check tonight see if the frame
has em...

trainrider06

no man its factory, not a scuff on where the tabs should be....the frame has no slot area's either...solid frame!
The blocks say "align 500" on them also....I wonder if its an early version or something...maybe people were screwing up putting em in wrong like the guy I got it off of and crashing....
This kinda worries me....because how am I gonna find blocks for the thing now if I might need some????? Or bearings? Hopefully the same size is used so I can just press out the old and press new ones in....

Last edited:

Admiral

Hi Rodney, sounds like its all genuine, it must only be the Pro as you say, mine is an older model upgraded to FBL. Its a pity really if they were there the person who assembled yours could not have put the bearings in upside-down and that would have saved you a crash, I wonder what the logic was behind their removal?

trainrider06

It's hard to tell, but the buck stops with me. My 250 I got that was bought used and in prices
I went all through it also, checking everything....might have gotten distracted because I remember
when I was putting it together, I was questioning how those were supposed to be orientated...
She should be all good now...but I am gonna go back over the whole heli recheck my work!

holtneil

Hi guys I think your right about the models mine is the new trex 500 pro dfc and it has the locator tabs on the bearing blocks

trainrider06

I had seen a video just recently where the guy talked about main gear and the one way bearing shaft seperating...
I am sure it is because the main bearing block was probably like mine...installed upside down.
Align probably incorporated the orientation tabs into their design on later models I bet.

bbj

I have a 500pro dfc purchased last nov and also don't have any notch in my bearing blocks. I needed to follow the instructions carefully when installing them or as you found out they could be mounted upside down.

trainrider06

Yeah, mine came installed upside down, had bought it off someone else....and assumed...
We all know what assume means....lol

Top Bottom