450 WARNING: Contagious Heli bug on the loose

callsign4223

Staff member
Hey Tony, I think I might have caught something when I came by to pick up the DX6i. Before that I was perfectly content with my little MCPx. After I left though I started feeling this weird itching sensation in my fingers and an incurable desire to check out craigslist. I did find something that seems to have lessened the symptoms a bit though.

Photo Apr 02, 6 38 19 PM.jpg

I don't know how long this will relieve the symptoms, we will just have to see. Since it is just sitting up on the shelf staring at me until I learn to fly the MCPx better, maybe it will cure the itch for awhile. Also, if your feeling the itch, I did see a Parrot A/R drone on there. :highly_amused:

Photo Apr 02, 6 38 19 PM.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The Blade 400 is a decent heli to get into the larger collective pitches. When you get ready for it though, don't think it will do hard 3D though lol. You will rip it apart. But I have been doing the same as you, looking on CL. I found a .50 size heli on there ready to go less Rx for $375. I almost jumped on it, but decided not to. And I did see that drone lmao. Not quite what I'm looking for though. I am thinking about building a quad though. Just something to thrash around.

If you feel the need for some teachin', I will be here this weekend (finally, weekends off lmao) and we can do some flying. I should have my brushless conversion for my mcpx here by then, and if the videos are done, I will be beating the crap out of it lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and I caught that bug you have about two years ago. I'm pretty sure it's fatal and the symptoms include no room in your house, ceilings have things hanging from them because of the lack of room, then you gain room when the wife leaves you, and you have no money in your bank account. But, as long as you can keep your electricity turned on to charge batteries, the pain is bearable lmao.

callsign4223

Staff member
Would love too, unfortunately gonna be in Texas for Easter with wife's family. I think I am starting to get the hang of it. As long as I am tail in, no problems. Really trying to get the side-on orientation down now but have to do the practice for that outside. My living room just isn't quite big enough for me to make any mistakes without hitting something. I would love to stop by sometime though and get some pointers, you just made flying it look so easy. One thing I am seriously considering on the 400 though, just because I have only flown the MCPx, is going fbl with it. What would be the pros of doing that?

Tony

Staff member
You just name the time you want to come down and we will make the arrangements. Your heli was the first I touched in months, so I was fighting it a little lmao. Slowly getting better. and should get a little better still with teh new motor and batteries.

As for the 400, leave it stock. When you are ready to move up, get a 450 Pro with a 3 axis gyro. You will like the 450 a LOT more than that blade. Parts are cheaper too :biggrin1:

Lee

FBL is more stable in wind and less parts to replace in a crash, faster cyclic response and higher headspeed.
If you are elecrically minded the FBL will be no worries, Mechanically minded then the FB will teach you good heli set up.

I caught the virus at the same time as Tony. My apartment was full be the second month to the point of having 4 helicopters hanging in the bedroom with my and my wife. Luckily i caught the virus before we got married so she knew what to expect. :D

Morelight

Fearless Freep
definitely let us know how you like the 400 and what flying it is like, with some vids??. I've got a Blade 500 coming in July when released and I'm hoping it will be an easy bird to fly around. :encouragement:

I'm going to try first thing in the morning to get a maiden video.. this is the errr weather we are expecting :highly_amused: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?ON-22

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Ugh, I'm cold just looking at that. Right now, it's 77ºF outside with a chance of storms (including 90+mph winds, large hail and tornadoes) and I have my A/C on lmao. Yesterday in Oklahoma, it got over 98ºF down south west of here. I'm telling ya, you need to bring your butt down here. There is nothing like watching tornadoes in the spring in Oklahoma...

callsign4223

Staff member
That is how you tell a true Oklahoman. While everyone else is cowering in storm shelters, he is on the front porch videotaping the tornado.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ya, the head looked so jumbled compared to the MCPx. How much of a difference does it make in the wind? It never stops blowing here in Oklahoma. I'm not really worried about the responsiveness at this point, more worried about the bird being stable while I'm trying to learn to fly.

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, thee is nothing "stable" about a CCPM helicopter. There is always an input you need to give it to sustain a hover, FF, whatever. But, a flybar will have a little slower headspeed, but will have a more "mechanical" control. It will respond slower which can be good for someone just learning. Flybarless, as you have seen on the mcpx, can be very twitchy if you bang the sticks around. But, with the help of the 3 axis gyro, it can be tamed down. Again, when you are ready to put that blade in the air, we will find a flat spot in the field, and I will help you out if you want it. There is plenty of space, and maybe I will have this 400 size heli here at the house in the air by then, and I can fly right along with ya. Unfortunately, it will be with the stock Tx, and not my DX8 lmao.

As for the wind, translational lift with the wind (bobbing up and down quickly) will happen all the time here. You get used to it after about 50 batteries lmao. Okay, so you don't, but it's manageable.

callsign4223

Staff member
So as long as I am just beginning and learning, there aren't any huge differences and no advantages then basically? I was just thinking about it because all of my experience is with the MCPx and I was worried that it would feel way different when I moved from fbl on it to a flybar on the 400.

Top Bottom