Wait, What??! Thank You Windows....

Admiral

Yeah the little Icon has a rolling pin in front of the drive, does that mean you beat the shiit out of the drive because it can't do simple arithmetic ? LMAO

Tony

Staff member
It's an 8TB networked drive that is connected to my router via USB3.0. For some reason Windows can't calculate the actual space on this drive since there are multiple folders and I have them mapped to the computer as their own drive.

murankar

Staff member
I guess that would screw some things up. Actually it shouldn't, it should be able to see the drive space either in fraction or in whole. The only way the drive space will be broken up is if you partitioned the 8 Tb down and then remapped.

Tony

Staff member
That is the weird part, I don't have it partitioned at all, but I do have 9 total folders in there, 4 of which are mapped to my computer as individual drives. But, if you take the 7.27TB which is the total writeable size of teh 8TB drive and divide it by 4 or 9, nothing adds up. If you divide the drive size by 1.28, the total space shown on that drive, it comes out to 5.6796875. Nothing adds up...

murankar

Staff member
Mapping does not change the drive size or take away from the total drive size. Now if you created a static allocation limit for those folders then it might throw some issues but honestly even then it still show you the entire drive space. I wonder if the file allocation table is wonkey. I dont know what else to call it other than file allocation table, NTFS, EXT4 you pick.

Tony

Staff member
CIFS is what the Asus router uses to broadcast the drive. I'm thinking this is an Asus issue, but I'm still going to blame it on Windows lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Linux uses EXT4 and a couple others. Not sure about the asus thing. They must have made their own. If it was a true linux one then you cab run a repair command for the file system you have. Search and see if Asus has a repair command.

Tony

Staff member
I can SSH into the router, but have never done it. I may need to do it and see what else I can mess up in it lmao.

murankar

Staff member
as long as you have the full tool set you should be straight. fdisk with the right switches will display your hard drive information.

RandyDSok

There has been reported size issues with Samba ( on Linux ) and Windows for some time now from what little I read about it. Many of the posts I read were unclear about several details.... so your results will vary as they say.

Google search terms - "samba reports drive size" ( so you can dive into it deeper than I cared to )

One issue was correct with the following ( probably not helpful unless you can get to and edit this setting )

1. Edit smb.conf

[global]

allocation roundup size = 4096

Another seemed to indicate the location of the mounted volume corrected.... changed mount location from /media/ over to /mnt/ appeared to help... I suspect it was actually something else since I doubt where you mount a volume really makes a difference with the exception if the system auto mounted another volume using the exact same name.

Several threads the users were asked what file system type the drive was formatted with.... few if any even bothered to answer that so who knows if that is relevant or not.

After my reading several handful's of user responses... I've decided many of the users should go back to school.... They obviously were clueless for the most part and didn't even take direction well ( not rude, just completely ignored what they were asked or directed to try ) in several of the cases.

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure I can edit that file in SSH. I may try my hand at some of these things. The only reason I can think that /media and /mnt would make a difference is if /media is behind another directory that is being overloaded. But again, moving the mounting location from media to mnt may be a quick fix. Not holding my breath. Now you have me wondering what the factory allocation size is lol. Damn you Randy, you are making more work for me. I wonder if this is going to void my warranty. Guess I should do a backup first to cover my tracks. I'm sure they have something in there though (like rooting a cell phone) that can sense if it has been tampered with.

RandyDSok

Just keep in mind... my quick research was just that and not very thorough. I'd had just gotten home when I first posted and the day started real early with me waking up way before I should have due to a headache ( I didn't have it when I did the reading though )... So I was ready for a nap and just looked around about it pretty quickly.

As I mentioned, I doubted the mount point based on how the user was responding... ( very newbee like ) so it wasn't something I'd trust although I did want to mention it none the less.

I can say that there appeared to enough threads about the issue and many stated they were solved in some manner or another. So there is likely a more common and then some less common causes. I can also say that my "NAS" ( ish ) drive hooked up on my router at work reports the remaining space without issue.... A big difference being is mine is just a 1Tb drive using a MBR partition that is formated NTFS. If you'd formated yours on Windows ( didn't sound like you did ), it'd be a GPT partition since MBR only supports up to a 2Tb partition size. Another minor difference is mine is on a USB 2 connection which is why it isn't my primary backup since it's a bit slow in comparison. I use mine to store some utils that I use as well as a secondary backup location that I can copy a backup to at times that speed isn't an issue.

murankar

Staff member
You can use either Nano or VI on the command line to edit the file. Try Nano first its easier to use.

Tony

Staff member
I always use nano, I hate vi.

Randy, you know me, I"m going to try things just to see if they work, and worse case (with a backup in place), I just restore lol. I'm with you though, mount location is likely not it and I will do some searching to see what others are saying.

Tony

Staff member
I did look in the router, and it is definitely a Linux file system and the drive is mounted in /mnt and not in /media. My /media only has one directory. But here is the funny thing. In the root directory I type cd media and it takes me to /tmp/media. That is weird. And in the /tmp/media, there is only one directory and that is /nand. So I go into /nand and it shows I'm now in /jffs. What the hell is wrong with Asus... Very weird. Going to have to look more into this to try and wrap my head around how they have this structured.

Top Bottom