Servos Voltage

stokke

Would it be a problem to send 5.2V into a servo which is designed to run on 4,8V?
Would the extra 0,4V kill the servo over time?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It'll be fine. :) All I want to ask you is how are you powering it? Is it through a Nicd or similar battery / Lipo Pack / or Life pack?

Why I ask is that keep in mind considering the peak voltage at full charge. If its through a RX or BEC.. and its giving out 5.2 constantly.. You will not see a difference, and it'll work perfectly fine..

Wont die any sooner..

stokke

It'll be fine. :) All I want to ask you is how are you powering it? Is it through a Nicd or similar battery / Lipo Pack / or Life pack?

Why I ask is that keep in mind considering the peak voltage at full charge. If its through a RX or BEC.. and its giving out 5.2 constantly.. You will not see a difference, and it'll work perfectly fine..

Wont die any sooner..

I plan to run Rx and Swash servos on a Nicd/Nimh pack at 6.0V. Then the plan is to use a small regulator between Rx and Rudder servo

The regulator I've found tunes voltage down to 5.2V.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I plan to run Rx and Swash servos on a Nicd/Nimh pack at 6.0V. Then the plan is to use a small regulator between Rx and Rudder servo

The regulator I've found tunes voltage down to 5.2V.

ok yeah... thats a good thing because if i am not wrong the nicd batteries peak to 8.4 volts on a full charge. So, make sure your rx and servos can live that voltage.

and BEC is good on tail servo. I dont run one, but I run align 3in1 setup on one heli and Life 2S setup on the other. so dont need it . let us know how it goes :)

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about a futaba servo, DO NOT GO OVER 4.8V! Futaba's are known to burn out very quickly if you do.

myndset

If you are talking about a futaba servo, DO NOT GO OVER 4.8V! Futaba's are known to burn out very quickly if you do.
So I have the stock Align 450 proV2 3GX and I just purchased a second battery. and it is G Force 2200mah 40C. The guy at the counter said it would work fine but I'm not sure. Could I have
to much burst. What say you?

murankar

Staff member
No the battery will only give what is being requested by the system. When the battery is to weak for the system you will have problems.

Tony

Staff member
What he said. The motor or servos or whatever PULL the power from the battery. Think of it as drinking a glass of water with a straw. The size of the glass is the MAH and the diameter of the straw is the C rating. Your mouth is the motor. If you try to drink through a stir straw with a small opening, you are going to have to pull much harder to get a drink than you would with a straw from Micky-D's. The smaller the straw the more strain it's going to put on it and the more heat you are going to generate.

myndset

Ok I get it now. While not particularly new to RC (nitro sprint cars and gas aircraft) I have zero knowledge about electrics. I am learning though. Thank you so much. LMAO Mickey D's straw. They are big hugh. I wonder why?

Top Bottom