Video Frequency

What is your preference on video frequency?

• More frequently, but shorter videos that are broken up into different parts.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Less frequently, but longer videos that cover all aspects of the topic in a single video.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Staff member
I have a question for you all.

Would you rather have videos that are quite short and split up more frequently or would you rather have more detailed and longer videos less frequently?

I ask this because I have been looking at some of the statistics of the youtube channel and the average user engagement is 4-5 minutes. So videos that are any longer than that are not being watched that much and definitely not all the way through. So this is a waste of not only my time in making a video that long, but also yours because you would have to search through the video in order to find what you are looking for.

I'm thinking that if I do short videos where I break up every part into different videos, it will be easier to search for them. However, on the other side of that coin that would put a LOT of videos out there and still people would have to do some searching to find what they are looking for.

vote in the poll and let me know what your opinion is.

callsign4223

Staff member
In my mind 5-10 minutes is a good length for videos. Any longer than that and I can't just watch it on the spur of the moment.

Admiral

I prefer shorter videos normally depends on the subject, some of the good scenic videos posted on the forum I would watch all the way through if they when for 30 minutes, some of the flying videos I turn off early because there is too much pre-flight stuff, I know how to put batteries in etc.

So it really depends on content and how much time I have to spare at that moment.

Tony

Staff member
I get what you are saying Keith. If it's something that you know how to do, especially the boring stuff or just getting something ready to fly by putting batteries on, straps and so on, it's pretty boring. Thanks for the comment!

Tony

Staff member
In my mind 5-10 minutes is a good length for videos. Any longer than that and I can't just watch it on the spur of the moment.

That one is kind of a half way point in the poll. Maybe I should have put a third option in there. 0-5, 5-15, 15+. But, I do get what you are saying. Especially if you are sitting at work where you are supposed to be, you know, working?!?!?! hahaha.

wolfman76

That one is kind of a half way point in the poll. Maybe I should have put a third option in there. 0-5, 5-15, 15+. But, I do get what you are saying. Especially if you are sitting at work where you are supposed to be, you know, working?!?!?! hahaha.

i will be driving a school bus so I pretty much have to wait till I have a break anyways.... lol but it also depends on what the video is about if it is sumthin I need to brush up on you can always scan through the parts at the beginning that you are already familiar with. so I would be 50/50 on the frequency and length of the videos maybe mostly quick short videos with an occasional detailed videos here and there.

rjhenry

I think the length of a video has to be based on its content. An instructional video needs to be as long as it takes. I'd hate to get half way through, lets say your "how to setup a FB head video " only to find out I have to wait till next week to finish setting it up. LOL On the other hand, do I want to watch you fly your heli, absolutely, but perhaps not for 45 min.

As for the stats, I don't know if this applies but thought I'd throw it out there. Take the "setup a head" vid, I watched all of it the first time, but because I can't remember squat lol I went back several times for just the 30 seconds or so I needed. that would make it look like one person watched it all and seven bailed after 30 sec.
It may not apply here but it was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned youtub stats. Hey, you've helped a lot of people here just keep doin what your doin :twothumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that RJ. I will still do it the way I have been doing it but also I'm looking for a better way to retain viewers and gain subscribers at the same time. One thing that I have started using is the URL Shorteners and this allows me to see all of the links that have been clicked, what country they are located in and so on so that I know what products are working, and what products are not. And I hate to say it, everything I have done on quads is KILLING IT!!! in a good way. I need some helicopter vendors lol.

rjhenry

Yes More helis lol hey BTW now that RCHN has gone off the air YOU may have to pick up where they left off lol

Tony

Staff member
Yup, just saw their deal on the site. That is quite interesting that they would just pack it up.

wolfman76

They are off the air? I had not hear this.

me either that is very shocking WOW!!!! I am very surprised to hear this and rj is right tony could be an opportunity here for you but maybe an rc show or podcast that cover anything rc related maybe heli oriented a guy that use to be on RCHN all the time that I have flown with quite a few times on phoenix and is a sponsored heli pilot killirishred out of Arizona. just a thought something like that could really boost the rc-help name in a positive way kinda like you doing with your live youtube on Fridays I would be down for that in a major way I am trying to get very active way in rc again I want to try and make a business in it somehow me and a buddy here are trying to figure out how to get ahold of some land to build and operate a 1/5th & 1/10th scale race tracks if we can we plan on starting to host events with sponsorships to attract national racer from all over we have a few ppl round here that have tried but they only build small tracks and there is quite a big 1/5th scale following growing around here just nowhere to hold races.... Just a thought bro

EyeStation

I am all for long instructional video's if they include an index of time marks for each section being covered. It is nice to be able to "Favorite" one video and have it pick up where you left off. The problem I see with having a bunch of short ones is you have to make a playlist yourself to include them, or hope they are strung together in one post like you are doing for the Eachine E010.

Tony

Staff member
That is a fantastic point ES. I never thought about people having to make their own playlist. I have no problem with creating threads like I did on the E010, but we have 5000 members here and 15,000 subscribers over there. so doing some kind of track listing would be a fantastic idea for a longer video. I will see what I can do with this.

Top Bottom