Motors VIDEO: BURNING UP ESC's ? - Wath this before blaming the ESC - IMPORTANT

Westy

LEGEND
This will DEFINATELY be something all of you will be interested in

Saving money and burning out your motor or ESC before you even start.

Thanks to Mr MEL!
<span style="color:#ff8c00;"><font size="4">

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I have actually covered this before. Below is the information that I posted. There are 3 steps to test a motor, pretty simple.

For testing a brushless motor, it's best to test with a known good ESC. However if you are worried about damaging the ESC there are other ways of testing the motor. I know you trashed the stock ESC, but you do have the one from the other heli. But, read on before you hook it up just incase there is an issue with the motor.

The first thing you will need is obviously the motor and a drill of some kind. Electric drills are best becuase they can hold the same rpm unlike a battery drill.

Chuck the motor up in the drill holding the case with your hand (where the wires come out). Spin the drill up to at least 1000rpm. You should see NO buildup of heat in the motor and there should not be any resistance. If there is resistance or heat, then you have a short in the windings and the motor is trashed.

Second test you will need an AC volt meter. Label the wires #1 #2 #3. chuck up the drill and put the meter on an AC setting (you will have to find your setting after starting teh first test. Run the drill up to full speed with the meter connected to #1 & #2, then #2 & #3 and finally #3 & #1. The output voltage should be exactly the same across all 3 polls.

The third test will build some heat, so be careful. It's the "Brake" test. wire all 3 wires together and spin the motor up while holding the can. With the wires shorted out to each other, it will act like a brake. DON'T DO THIS FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS!!! You should feel drag in the motor and it should remain constant. If you feel a chugging, then the motor is bad.

Remember a brushless is just a 3 phase motor. I hope this helps you in testing your motor to make sure it's good. Make sure to spin it for a while on the first test with nothing connected to the wires. This is just a baseline test, and if you have damaged the windings in the can, this will create a brake effect and built some heat. Hope this helps.

Westy

LEGEND
Yeah I remember that .....

Just thought the above vid is a good check prior to the first run up to make sure the assembly has been done correctly and no dead shorts are present prior to hooking up to the electronics

a long mounting screw is all you need to kill it. :)

Westy

LEGEND
good call .... you should do a vid on testing it with the drill and combine it into the above post and make a sticky in the Motor/ESC sections.

Just a suggestion ... as if you did not have enough to do!

Tony

Staff member
If I can find a bad motor I will do just that. I'm selling a couple motors that are in great condition (missing the sticker on the can) that I can use for a control. I will see what I can get done.

Top Bottom