General Vibration...the story sooooooooooo far

treff

Well guys the rebuild is complete. I took the opportunity to replace the skids with a set from a 500, looks wierd. I also replace tail, tail tube, mainshaft, feathering shaft and dampers. Installed new blades. All parts from Align UK where you can not fault their service. it's first class. Thanks.
Well I run it up first without blades, it was rock solid, no vibration. Installed the blades and without doing any tracking I get lots of vibration. I do the tracking, redo the pitch 11 degrees up and down, perfect. Run it up and it almost jumps off the floor. Mega, mega vibration. So now I think the head is shot so will send for complete precision head. I can not afford the Align one so it's back on the slow boat. Of course if anyone as another idea or ideas I'm very open to suggestions apart from buying a new bird LOL.
I can not send any video this time because our 9 years old Imac as decided to commit suicide and because of its age the man from Apple said "sorry old bean but suicidal Imacs is not within our remit. Might I suggest the trash". Cheers from a broken man.

Slobberdog

Have you tried replacing the head block as you had a bit of play in that, and while you are at it change the dampers, if you want to go down the new head route try giant shark they stock HK stuff but as they are UK they get to you in a couple of days, if they have stock, me I would try the head block and dampers first.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony beat me to it again, LOL

treff

Cheers guys, thanks for info. I have already changed dampers so it looks like a new head block. The vibration is quite weird, it makes the tail end look blurred its moving so fast thought my eyes were playing up at first LOL. I will try this head in another frame just to see what happens. Cheers

DAL2855

Banned
Treff, you can get a Flybarred head complete on ebay rather cheap. So I would go that route to try and get this all sorted out. I may have a head in a few days that I'd be willing to part with. I will be converting a second bird to FBL with a DFC Head and ZYX gyro. But yeah dunno yet if I will want to just hang onto the head for a spare and just convert it like I did the other one and make it a standard FBL head or not! But yeah I would definitely try replacing the head block and see if that does the trick! Matter of fact I have a bid right now on just the head block on ebay for 4.99 plus shipping, the auction ends this evening. So if I were you, I'd try checking out ebay man, it's where I've gotten alot of my parts from!

treff

Thanks for the info DAL2855 very kind. I think I have stumbled across the problem. I believe the swash plate is in the words of the bard knackered. There is lots of play when I move the pitch push rods up and down, almost 1/8 of an inch so thats got to cause some vibration. The swash is off my first heli, very cheap. I did a swop because the thread on the elevator side was stripped. If you want to sell your head let me know the price. If you want to keep it for spare (you never know LOL) then that's also okay. So it's back to the spares depot. Cheers.

DAL2855

Banned
Now I do have a couple spare 450 swash's. I have two different ones, I have the standard one and then I have the one that came with my 4 blade head that has the 5th hook up on it for the swash driver. If you need one let me know and we'll make a deal on one of them!

treff

That's very kind of you, thanks. I think I will order a new head complete then that covers every eventuality that may come up. I've changed pretty well everything else LOL. Thanks again. Cheers.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah can't say that I blame you there man! Replace it all to make sure you find what's causing the vibs!

treff

Thanks for that slobberdog. I went for the blue version. It had the best credits so deed is done. I refitted the old swash plate and temporarily epoxyied the slider screw into the swash. Run the heli up. Perfect. I said PERFECT! no vibrations. My I'm beginning to sound like Brian from the Beach Boys. Well another problem solved. If only flying was this easy. Cheers

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Thats good news, no more chasing your tail, and yes if only flying them was as easy, crashed twice yesterday on the same battery, luckily it was my 130x and it got up and carried on, and done another battery afterwards.

treff

Yes balanced the blades, new ones from Align so perfect or near to perfect. Cheers. The answer is that I keep buying cheap Chinese rubbish. I must wean myself off this habit LOL and but proper engineered parts.

Top Bottom