Micro V911 Tail Motor Wahala

obinaija

Hi everyone at RCHelp. Here I come. After months and months of great fun with my WL V911 helis, a bad crash finally brought me down to earth. The tail motor is kaput. I have lived in fear of this happening. I have extracted the dead motor and cut the wires. But I dared not bring a soldering iron near such thin and fragile wires. Has anyone done this before? What do I do now?

Has anyone figured out how to replace the tail boom on V-911?

Cheers all, while I await an answer.

Tony

Staff member
It's pretty simple replacing the motor. But there are a few little tricks you need to do.

First, cut the wires at different lengths. Meaning. make one longer than the other after you cut. You do this so that when you solder it back together, there is no way the solder joints can touch.

If you have to strip plastic away from the wires, then do so very carefully. Do this with your thumb nail as it's pretty easy to do. You only need to strip about 1/8".

Then, with 60/40 solder (only use rosin core, never acid core), put your iron on the bare wires, then touch the solder to the iron tip right at the wires. It will tin the wires very quickly.

If you have what looks like copper wires, but with too much red, they are coated wires and you need to scrape the coating off of them by sliding the blade of an exacto along them very carefully.

Once both wires are tinned, wipe your soldering iron off on a damp sponge (you should always do this after soldering, it cleans the tip), tin the soldering iron by touching the solder to the tip until a little melts, then solder the wires together. Again, make sure they are different lengths and make sure your polarity is correct! This is a must.

Always put heat shrink on the wires to protect the bare joint.

Hope this helps.

obinaija

Hello Tony, good to see you. I have changed the tail motor following your directions, but the result remains the same: motor not turning. I tested continuity of the motors - OK. Tested the motor wires looking into the PCB - OK. The tail blade turns free. But no dice. How's that for a bit of mystery? I've put it aside until something occurs. If you think of something, please let it hang out. Cheers for your timely intervention.

Tony

Staff member
Bro, sorry for the horribly late replay. Been getting killed out here lately.

If it's still not turning with a new motor, then you need to start looking at the control board. I believe these have a 4-1 control board, which means that board will control yoru gyros, main motor as well as the tail motor. I will almost bet if you look at the FET's (large(ish) black squares on the board), you will fine one that looks wet, or "sweating" or cracked, or both. If so, then that is your FET for your tail motor.

This can happen when a tail motor goes out and pulls a LOT of power. It will pop them quite often.

If the FET is bad, you can either try to find one and replace it yourself, or as I would suggest if you are not a master at soldering (I'm not lol), just replace the board.

If you can get a good, close up shot of the board on both sides, I can take a look for you. But, you have to get it really close on a big picture for me to see it, and please make sure it's in focus. Most cell phones can't do this, but some can.

obinaija

Hi mate, cheers for great response. I'll tell you what I'll do: Having gone thro the trying excercise of changing the motor, and my soldering not being too hot, I'm going to order a new bird altogether and hold this one for spares. You know, for the soldering part, I have to invite my son who lives the other side of Lagos (steady hands and clear eyes) and then I have to fork out for lunch and couple of beers. Be that as it may, I get a whale of fun mucking about with these birdies as much as I do flying them. Again, appreciate your caring interventions.

Stambo

Having gone thro the trying excercise of changing the motor, and my soldering not being too hot, I'm going to order a new bird altogether and hold this one for spares..

That is probably your best option, the whole bird can be had for less than $25 BNF.
I bought 2 last time I broke one so I would have a spare again.

obinaija

Not just for the spares. I find I need two working craft at all times, since I fly almost everyday. Besides, I was always nagged by the possibility of the Transmitter packing up. Then what? So I take your lead and order new V911 and V911-Pro with one extra transmitter between them. Boy, I should say I'm covered for the foreseeable future. No?

obinaija

Can you beat that? You know, I clean forgot to get more batteries. That's what happens when one acts impulsively. Although I have three already, it would have been cheaper to throw in a couple with the main orders. These batteries go very easy. Just one over-discharge and all one has is two. Well...

Stambo

Lol, I have at least 10, come wintertime one must have something to fly inside the house. :)

obinaija

Ah! I just found out that one of the V911's I ordered comes with x2 batteries. I feel better.
Would you by any chance know the difference between V911 and V911-1? Are parts interchangeable? Same transmitter? I saw a V911-1 (green) for just 17 bucks at Banggood - body only. Too good to pass up, no? You by now know I'm a V911 fanatic.

Stambo

The V911 pro has heavier landing gear and seems to be a bit more robust, I don't know whether the V911-1 is the same thing or not.
These things can take a beating no matter what version you have.
I have mine bound to a Turnigy 9x TX module that fits the back of my Taranis.
They fly even better on a good TX. :)

obinaija

Cheers mate. V911 and V911-Pro I'm familiar with. V911-1 is the sticking point. I have googled for differences to no effect. Now, this Turnigy TX you mentioned: sounds way out to me. When you get the time, can you tell more about it? I'll do a bit of research too, of course. I'm willing to move up in this hobby as long as I know where I'm going. Stay cool, buddy.

obinaija

Hey Tony, Stambo, you there? Just want to say that I have received new WL V911 and V911-Pro RC Helicopters, bringing my V911 fleet to four (including the one that is broken). As for the broken one, I have parts coming. Small problem is that there are not many open spaces in Lagos and not many wind-calm days. I mostly fly from my first floor balcony over the street. It's quite a to-do. You should see the number of kids (and adults) that pack the street below when I fly. And even when I'm not flying: they come anyway and shout, "Hey, Mister! Where are the helicopters?" It's my wife's job to go out on the balcony to pacify the mob: "Can't you see it's windy, you knot-heads!" Oh, but you should hear the ovation I get when I do step out on that balcony, like a regular Monarch or something. Doesn't take much to make kids happy.

obinaija

I'm in a V911 bind - things are falling apart. I'll take it one problem at a time.
How does one remove the tail boom on a V911-1? The thing is glued solid to the frame. The V911-Pro does not have this problem. Please, somebody help!

obinaija

Hello All, I am back! Do I hear "Welcome, welcome"? No? No wahalla... Good to be back anyway. Love this forum. I'm having a good life with my V911s, of which I am now a guru (of sorts; at least, I fly many cycles without a crash!). I even build them from scratch. And it's partly thanks to stuff I garnered in this forum. I wish you all happy flying.

trainrider06

You'll be caught up in no time! I started out with a MJX F45 FP heli, sunk a ton of money into it upgrading it, flew it for about 3-4 months (when there was no wind at all lol. Then saw this kid that was interested in it one day and just handed it over to him! Bought a Blade SR, crashed it a bunch of times, fixed it flew it crashed it! Lol
Yeah the 911 is an old model now like that old MJXF45, as well as my SR, as well my Align 450 Pro DFC, and now my 450 Dominator, and my 500 Pro DFC...lol

obinaija

Thanks again, mate. I'll keep hacking away at the V911s while I watch out for the next tree to perch on. I have some research to do there.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again, mate. I'll keep hacking away at the V911s while I watch out for the next tree to perch on. I have some research to do there. I have just read a bit about the Align 500 Pro DFC. H-smokes! - that's a monster. Costs a pretty penny too. But something to aspire to. Yeah, I have a dream.

Top Bottom