Uuuuugggghhh! BMW's!

trainrider06

Just got done yesterday replacing this oil seal gasket, and ANOTHER power steering pump on the wifes Beemer
What a pain in the ass! Had to buy some fan wrenches to get the damn fan off. Then her power steering cooler return line has had it....the last mechanic didn't replace the reservoir for the power steering fluid (and I suspect thats why the other one failed. The drain plug has some cockamainy plug for the oil that looks like a cork screw on the threads, have to find some sort of fix for that...and it ain't gonna be an $800.00 oil pan and the pain in the ass to fix it! The little 3 foot long hose BMW wants $275.00 for, but found one for $60.00.....Sixty dollars for a 3 foot hose is bad enough! In fact that ridiculous!

I told the wife this morning we gotta find a way to get another car, because this one is gonna put us in the poor house!

Tony

Staff member
Dude, get that thing running and bring it up here to Oklahoma. Once here, just wait a bit and park that damn thing in front of a tornado!!! lmao. I would have burnt that car to the ground by now!!!

trainrider06

I have told the wife if she hears of a golf ball or larger hale storm to drive it there!
That's an idea though, the way you all have been getting hit with those things it would be a good chance
in getting it taken care of!
Man believe me I'd LOVE to get rid of this thing! Everything costs $$$$$$$$ anytime something goes wrong
with it. We are trying to get some things paid off so we can get another car....and it won't be a BMW or any of
those kind of high end cars that's for sure!
Cars like this are super nice, but not meant to be kept with any miles on em.....unless you have deep pockets.

vimy

I have told the wife if she hears of a golf ball or larger hale storm to drive it there!
That's an idea though, the way you all have been getting hit with those things it would be a good chance
in getting it taken care of!
Man believe me I'd LOVE to get rid of this thing! Everything costs $$$$$$$$ anytime something goes wrong
with it. We are trying to get some things paid off so we can get another car....and it won't be a BMW or any of
those kind of high end cars that's for sure!
Cars like this are super nice, but not meant to be kept with any miles on em.....unless you have deep pockets.

Rodney, get a really boring, reliable car like a Toyota. It may not be as prestigious as a BMW, but personally, I'll take boring and reliable over prestige any day.

There is more to life that being stuck under the damn bonnet of a car, fixing something that just doesn't want to be fixed.

It's amazing how "High End" looks like anything else when it is up on jack stands or in a wrecking yard. They break the same way just with an eye watering repair bill.

Like the Japanese, the Germans do not keep their cars for long. Durability was not built into these cars.

Over $200 for a hose is nothing more than a legal form of robbery.

Over here in Australia, no one wants used Euro cars. The resale value is terrible.

Gary

Last edited:

Stambo

I totally agree with Vimy.
In New Zealand anything European over 8 to 10 years old is a liability not an asset.
We have toyotas here over 20 years old with over 500000 km that are still running reliably and passing their 6 monthly safety inspections.

vimy

I totally agree with Vimy.
In New Zealand anything European over 8 to 10 years old is a liability not an asset.
We have toyotas here over 20 years old with over 500000 km that are still running reliably and passing their 6 monthly safety inspections.

I don't know why it is, that Japanese cars last so long, despite Japan's desire for updating every 3 years. It's good though, I have a 27 yo Ford Laser, at 180000 km on the clock. It still works like a charm.

It will probably be replaced with a Mazda or a Toyota eventually. I like the New Zealand policy on Japanese grey imports.

Our conservative government are going to do something sensible (a rarity) and make our design rules international instead of Australian specific.

Just for interest Stambo, what are Golfs and Polos like? Are they the most reliable of the Euro cars?

There is no way on earth I'd touch anything of Land Rover. I had one.... never again.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Oh I already told the wife, we are not a BMW family!
I finally after 3 tries got the oil leak to stop! I'm now an expert at this! Lol
As soon as possible we are getting rid of this car!

Oh and I found out years ago about Toyota's and Hondas. I used to be a devout Chevrolet man, still am when it comes to early 70's on down.
I switched over back in the 80's to Toyota/Honda.
I have no reservations either buying one that has 100,000
miles on it either, because I know I'll get at least another hundred thousand or more out of
it.

Last edited:

Stambo

Just for interest Stambo, what are Golfs and Polos like? Are they the most reliable of the Euro cars?

There is no way on earth I'd touch anything of Land Rover. I had one.... never again.

As far as I am concerned they are no better than anything else euro once the age and mileage gets up a bit.
I don't understand people's obsession with euro cars when the Japanese product is so much better.

trainrider06

As far as I am concerned they are no better than anything else euro once the age and mileage gets up a bit.
I don't understand people's obsession with euro cars when the Japanese product is so much better.

Some of the Euro cars are kinda cool, i mean this Beemer of the wifes is a nice car, drives great, nice power, like the body style...if I was a little more affluent in the wallet I'd probably sink cash into it and fix it proper all the way around.
I've owned several Honda's/Toyota's and every one of them i have driven over 250,000 miles! Those cars some great body interior, drive ability styling still not quite as nice as say the styling of the Beemers, Mercedes at least to me, but dependability durability The Toyota's Honda's have em by the balls in that department.....that is if one takes care of em.
Someone like my wife now, she could find a way to destroy even those cars. She only knows go, and go hard, drive it till it won't go and wonder why it quit! LOL Even with the Japanese cars, one has to maintain the minimal maintenance.

vimy

It was 22 years ago and I still had a (very) little interest in cars back then. For some reason I had a morbid fascination with Land Rovers and bought an Series 3 ex military one. It was probably this vehicle more than anything else that killed what little interest I had in fixing cars.

The 6 cylinder motor and the gearbox were the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

She only knows go, and go hard, drive it till it won't go and wonder why it quit! LOL Even with the Japanese cars, one has to maintain the minimal maintenance.

And that, Dear Sir, it what her husband is for. Maintaining and fixing her car. :p

Yes, Euro cars are stylish, handle beautifully and feel refined, but resale value is terrible.

I hope you get a good price for the Beemer, though. Try to exit the monetary black hole as elegantly as you can.

BTW, I learnt some German the other day. Do you know, Rodney, your car has an auspuff? Pronounced auspoof?

Here's a hint, my friend, she speaks German and her old Toyota has a leaking auspuff and it needs replacing.

Best of luck Rodney.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
And this is why I purchased two brand new Mopar vehicles! lmao. I still have my 1996 Camaro Z28, but it's not starting... Pretty sure it's a VATS issue. And bonus points if anyone knows what that is without googling it lmao.

trainrider06

VATS? Humm? your making my brain smoke....i seem to remember that, and what a pain it can be...it's either expensive and or a pain to figure out I think...I'll take a stab...Variable Anal Tear Syndrome? Hahaahaha...
I cheated and looked it up....Vehicle Anti-theft system....
Here is a little thing I found that might help ya out....but am sure you've already looked into it....
http://www.fastfieros.com/tech/gm_vats_passkey.htm

Tony

Staff member
Oh trust me, I know everything there is to know about VATS. I also know how to install a series of resistors that will bypass the VATS "key resistor check" (for the keys with chips in them) so that I can use regular keys and not a $25 key. And if you want a bitchin website on F Bodies, check out shbox.com. That site has just about every test and mod you can think of. I still use it and I know just about everything there is to know about those cars. Did I mention I'm a moderator on Z28.com? lmao. Love Camaro's!!!

trainrider06

I love all Chevrolets especially pre 72 models...owned a 55, 72 Nova, 72 Monte Carlo even a 67 Chevy van and a few Chevy trucks....nowadays though I don't have money time temper to jack with hot rods anymore...:(

Top Bottom