Spektrum Using an AR636 AS3X rx on a scratch build

Derek

Ok, I didn't see a specific section of the forum for "Receiver" questions, just this "Transmitter" section, but this is a "Spektrum" question, so here we go.

I built a plane for a buddy of mine. He recently crashed his Hobbyzone P51 Mustang quite viciously. He stripped the electronics from the plane and trashed the airframe. Now he has an AR636 AS3X rx with no home. The plane that I built for him is using an OrangeRx 6 channel rx. We maidened the plane today and it did real well but he is nervous to fly it because he really likes the AS3X stability and the Panic Button feature (can't say that I blame him).

Now, the crashed P51 used 5 channels (throttle, aileron rudder, elevator, and gear for the retracts). I imagine the Panic feature is tied into the Flaps channel. The plane that I built for him uses 5 channels (throttle, aileron, rudder, elevator, and aux1...aux1 is the left aileron).

Would it be possible to put the AR636 onto the plane that I built for him, therefore allowing him to have the AS3X stability and the Panic feature? This is the way that I'm envisioning it....throttle, elevator, and rudder are "no brainers". The two aileron servos would have to be connected to a Y-harness, no biggie, or the left aileron could be connected to the Gear channel, I think. And then, we'd have to set the Flaps settings to allow the Panic feature. I could be wrong about this....that's why i'm asking.

What do you guys think?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's an afterthought..........the crashed P51 did have flaps, too, so it obviously used all 6 channels. So, if we were to put the AR636 rx into the plane that I built him, throttle, rudder, elevator would be normal and the ailerons would probably stay the same, too....meaning the right aileron would go to the AIL port and the left aileron would go to the AUX1 with the same Flaperon mix that I have set up. Maybe it would just be trial and error to see if the Panic feature would work, too.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It all sounds right to me. I would put it in and see if you can get your directions correct. If so, you are home free.

Derek

It all sounds right to me. I would put it in and see if you can get your directions correct. If so, you are home free.

That's what I was thinking, too. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Top Bottom