Misc Using 4S battery

cattail

I would like to use 4S batteries on my Vtail Simplecopter. It flies fine with the 3S setup, but I would like to use the 4S batteries I have in my hanger. When I put them in the copter the motors surge and run erratically.... I cannot get the quad off the ground like this. I am using Sunnysky 2212-9/1400 KV motors, HP SimonK 30A ESC (2-4S lipo), and the KK2 board. I have reset the ESC's to no avail, any thoughts? Thanks!

Smoggie

If you run a 4S battery in a system setup for 3S then you will pull about 70% more current. You are likely to be overloading the ESC's which would explain why they will be behaving erratically.

The solution is to run smaller props to reduce load on the motors and ESCs. Try reducing prop diameter to about 85% of what you use for 3S. Of course this means that you cant easily just swap between 3s and 4s batteries and still have optimum performance on each, but that's just the way it is I'm afraid.

The other thing to check is that the ESC's have their throttle range calibrated, but changing from 3s to 4s wouldn't effect that so unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

Top Bottom