General Using 3 servos

Peatree

Hi again,

I was wondering how to use 2 servos for ailerons and 1 for elevator but there are only 2 spots for servos, 1 for elevator and 1 for aileron. So how can I use 2 aileron servos?

Thanks,
Peatree

Tony

Staff member
Depending on your Tx, it will vary. You MUST have a 6+ channel tx to do this. First, you will go into your Wing Mix and set the number of aileron servos, as well as the elevator. Once you set it up to dual aileron, you will plug one into the aileron port, and the other into the Aux1 port. Hope this helps.

Derek

If you don't have a 6 channel Rx, you can run a y- servo cable from the Rx to use two servos for the ailerons. Some people don't like to do it this way because you can't use the Tx to trim out individual servos....but using a y cable will work.

Peatree

Thanks, I will be using the turnigy 6X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Reciever (Mode 2). The receiver is numbered, not labelled with ports. So what goes where?

Tony

Staff member
I unfortunately have no idea about that Tx. I will have to let someone else answer that question.

Derek

Here is a link for the manual:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/150053400X1026932X21.jpg

TurnigyRx.png

Based on the above picture, Channel 1 will be your Ailerons and your BIND port. This is where you will put the BIND plug when you are binding the Rx to the Tx. Channel 2 will be your Elevetor. Channel 3 will be your Throttle. Channel 4 will be your Rudder. Then channel 5 and channel 6 could be for your Flaps, Landing Gear, Bomb Dropper, or even just left empty.

I hope this helps!

TurnigyRx.png

Peatree

So say that I put the left aileron servo into switch/slot 1, where would I put the right aileron servo?

Derek

Actually, I need to apologize. I just now noticed that the Tx that you are planning on using is not a computerized Tx. That being the case, you will not be able to do what I had planned on explaining to you. Because your Tx is not a computerized Tx, the only way that you'll be able to setup a plane, with 2 Aileron servos is to use a "Y" servo extension. The two servos will plug into the "Y" servo extension and then the "Y" servo extension will plug into the Rx at Channel 1.

If you had a computerized Tx, we could discuss "mixing" setups and you would be able to trim out each servo individually.

If you plan to continue using the Turnigy 6X FHSS, the "Y" servo extension is the only way to go.

An inexpensive alternative would be this:
OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/10 Model Memory (Mode 2)

or this:
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)

Both of these Tx's are computerized and programmable. We could get you setup with mixing setups so that you could use separate channels for the same function.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I need to apologize. I just now noticed that the Tx that you are planning on using is not a computerized Tx. That being the case, you will not be able to do what I had planned on explaining to you. Because your Tx is not a computerized Tx, the only way that you'll be able to setup a plane, with 2 Aileron servos is to use a "Y" servo extension. The two servos will plug into the "Y" servo extension and then the "Y" servo extension will plug into the Rx at Channel 1.

If you had a computerized Tx, we could discuss "mixing" setups and you would be able to trim out each servo individually.

If you plan to continue using the Turnigy 6X FHSS, the "Y" servo extension is the only way to go.

An inexpensive alternative would be this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28494__OrangeRx_T_SIX_2_4GHz_DSM2_6CH_Programmable_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html

or this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

Both of these Tx's are computerized and programmable. We could get you setup with mixing setups so that you could use separate channels for the same function.

Peatree

As money is an issue, ill have to stick with the 6 channel, and ill go with the y extension. Is there an issue with not being able to trim? And how do I know which servo to put on what side of the y extension?

Derek

Money is an issue with many of us. There is nothing wrong with what you have. It will work. Y extensions are inexpensive!

With your plane in the air, you will be able to trim. No worries there! It's just that you will be trimming both servos at the same time. I have two planes like this and they work just fine. I also have a few planes that I have the Aileron mixed with AUX1 (other servo location) and I can trim them separately. If you do need to trim one servo more than the other, you can simply make an adjustment where the push rod meets the control horn or where the push rod meets your servo arm (depending on your setup).

As far as which servo to put into what side of the Y extension...it really doesn't matter. Just set your servo's on the plane, in the manner that you want, then plug them into the Y extension. No worries buddy! It will work just fine!

Peatree

Thanks for all you help, one last question, and this time on spars, would a 6 mm dowel be a good spar, and for the twin booms? Also, is it heavy? Because carbon rods are hard to find and expensive here, and I might have considered them if foamboard for this plane didn't cost $25 dollars alone!

Derek

Well, I guess it depends on the wood that is being used. I have a few planes that have pine wood dowels as spars, but none of them are less than 3/8" (9.5mm). If the dowel was a hardwood, then maybe the 6mm would work. Now...for the twin booms...yeah, the 6mm dowels might work pretty well. I can't really give you an answer that is 100% sure because I just honestly don't know.

Just use your best judgement. Go to the store that you plan to buy your dowels from. Find a knowledgeable person that works there...explain what you are trying to accomplish and ask for their opinion. If you don't get the answers that make you happy....take someone with you to the store that you trust....a good friend, your dad, your cousin..whatever. Just take someone that you trust...explain what you are trying to do and get their opinion, then go from there.

Something else that you could do....just go to the store that you plan on buying your dowels from. Pick up a 6mm dowel...give it a bend (without breaking it, of course, lol) and feel how much it flexes. If it flexes alot...try something thicker. If it flexes just a bit...then maybe that one would make a good tail boom.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend!!! I hope I've helped!

Top Bottom