500 Used T-Rex acquisition, question on blade grips, main gear/anti-rotation gear

Doum066

Greetings guys,

Well, this is my first post in the 500 section. I'm still on learning process with my 450 Pro DFC, was planning to get a bigger bird by the end of summer, but i fell onto an opportunity on a local hobby classified add website. The bird flys well, the guy flew in front of me. But i'm planning to strip it down and rebuild it to know this beauty more in depht. In an old model, it's actualy the old 500 CF (KX017001TA) The same model used in this build page ;

T-Rex 500 Build & Review

But i couldn't resist this little $ 490 deadl ;

-Updated FBL Head (not the DFC, but reg. one)
-Full FBL updated head + complet old FB head
- ESC, Servos included and working
- Almost brand new 3 Turnigy NanoTech 2650 Mah 6S LiPos
- Spektrum AR7010 DSMX RX and it's remote receiver
- And what really made me run for it, it came with as a FBL system, a Microbeast, which i really love since my 450 as a AR7200BX with BeastX built-in.

All that said, :) as i was doing some stuff on it tonight, putting main blade on, i realised that the blades when fold tends to falll on their on weights... i wounder if it's normal for big birds or not.. if not, what could it be? The servos geeting weak unable to maintain the blades up? I did recorded a crappy video on my IPhone to show you guys my 2 problems/questions.

The second one, on my 450 the motor is hard to turn by hard, you can feel the tention when trying to turn it, and so it is when trying to turn the main gar by hand, but my 500, there is not much resistance by the motor, i can easily turn it and the other thing, i can easily thrn the main gear both ways, clockwise and counterclokwise.. is it normal for the old gears non slanted, or old motor?

Here's the vid. and a pictures of the little sister by her new adopted sister. :) BTW speaking of main gear, should i convert to slanted gear/pinion?

500 - YouTube

Thanks

both.jpg

both.jpg

Doum066

Yep, that's the first thing i've check, made it a little bit closer, using the paper stripe wasn't much accordeon ripple.

What you guys would do, keep the belt drive or convert to Torque Tube? And for the gears, is it possible to convert to slanted gear by changing the gear and motor pinion using a normal FBL head, or much more needs to be changed?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Keep it stock! If ever you strip the main gear during a crash then you can see about updating the gears. But you have to maintain the same gear ratio! Not worth the tt up grade. Especially if you a novice pilot.

Doum066

Thanks for the tip, i was just curious. So far i'Ve just finished tonight going through the Microbeast Settings, updated it to the last version to get the same as my AR7200, to avoid surprises in changed, in case of. :) And settings up the remote... amazing how this thing can take a while when it's your second bird :p Tomorow's forecast was promising for a first hover... but gotta do some stuff at my mom's since she's away and wanna surprise her.... but i can't wait to hover this new bird.

I can't wait though to feel the diff. between a DFC Head on a demon 450 Pro versus a normal FBL head on a bigger bird :p

stokke

The blades dropping under their own weight is normal :D I'd skip the TT upgrade also.

When checking the one-way bearing, hold the one-way gear (small one), at the same time try turning the head counter clockwise - you should not be able to turn the head. Now let go of the one-way gear, and turn the head CCW - the motor should spin. If this checks out, I wouldn't worry.

Doum066

Well one-way beraing seems ok. I took her out for my first pack this morning, all was going fine, when all of a sudden by the end of my pack time, she started giving sudden forward elevator movement, as if i was giving in forward cyclic.. anyone has a small idea what it can be? I haven'T yet started to look, had a busy day and might check it later.

Doum066

Weird question, but, is it possible, since my ESC is connected to my AR7010 receiver, that power then the microbeast.... is it possible that when i get low-voltage (well wasn't that low, ended up about more or less 30 %, it's a 2650 mAh 6s) it makes the FBL or Receiver get weird behavior?

stokke

Nah, the Rx and gyro should function all the way down to 3V per cell. So 30% should be enough to power your cyclics.

Check servos manually and when in throttle hold. Check for binding. Check there's no trim on trim tabs on your Tx

Doum066

Nah, the Rx and gyro should function all the way down to 3V per cell. So 30% should be enough to power your cyclics.

Check servos manually and when in throttle hold. Check for binding. Check there's no trim on trim tabs on your Tx

Will do. I flew 2 packs tonight, first one, no problem at all, i even gave her some work to test it out. Second pack, she started doing it again, but i turned her nose in, tail in to see if she only does it one way, and she does it forward, backward, and never did it sideways, so i guess it can't be the Microbeast, so i presume it can be either the elevator servo wire having some loose connecter on the end, or maybe some gear issue. Anyways i wil do as i planed, stripping the bird down, changing bearings, giving her a fresh new start with a fresh new owner, since it has some good miles on it. Checking all stuff, relub the swashplate bearing, thrustbearings will also change and so on, and will open each servos, inspect the gears, grease and everything, it'S the best way to follow on coming maintenance when starting brand new. Once total maintenance has been done, it will be easier to point it out if it still does it.

But i can say that the swashplate sensitivity seems low.. when i move around my 450 Pro DFc witht he AR7200BX the swashplate fight way faster and much more travel from what i remember, i will check this out also. I will do this bird her first lifting :p

Doum066

Well i might have found the problem, it was indeed a wire connector, it was the elevator wire going from the Microbeast down to the receiver, one of the 3 wires on the receiver's end seems to be coming out the plastic plug as you can see on the picture. The plug itself seems a bit less pluged in than the others.

wire-elev.jpg

wire-elev.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have that issue as well with my 450. I just use a micro flat blade and push it back down since I dont have another end for it. Has held so far, but I don't care about crashing this one.

Top Bottom