450 Used Heli

I purchased a 450 and I don't know the history or the previous owner. It also came with the DX8 already programmed. The maiden flight was very very stressful it was oscillating and doing weird things. So I bought a mini icon the question is do I just take the 3gX off unplug everything clean the surface put new Vibe tape and put the mini icon and then just program it or is there something that I should do in between that. I am a beginner pilot I just want to get it right.

Tony

Staff member
Yes to all you stated, remove the 3GX, clean off the mounting area and mount the ikon to the helicopter, and wire it up per the diagram in the Ikon program. But, you need to go through every nut and bolt on this thing, especially the head and tail, and make sure this thing is not going to fly apart and that everything is nice and clean. Also, make a new model in your Tx for the new gyro. The 3GX uses 3 servo 120º and the ikon uses 1 servo 90º, or NORMAL depending on if it is first or second gen DX8.

It is a first-generation DX8 the silver one. I have not started programming it at all yet I assumed that some of the settings in the transmitter we're going to be the same and I was going to use it and just tweak some things but I'm glad you told me I'm going to start a brand new one

Tony

Staff member
Any time you make a major change on the heli or in the setup, I find it easier and most importantly, safer to just start fresh from scratch. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Geena

Staff member
I definitely agree with Tony. It`s best to do a fresh setup on any used helicopter. I always disassemble a used helicopter and inspect every part in it. I usually find that there are several bearings in need of replacement, and occasionally, a few other parts that need to be replaced. By doing a full tear down, I also know it has locktite, where it needs it when it goes back together.

ChopDrifter

I always disassemble a used helicopter and inspect every part in it. I usually find that there are several bearings in need of replacement, and occasionally, a few other parts that need to be replaced. By doing a full tear down, I also know it has locktite, where it needs it when it goes back together.

This is the proper way of inspecting a used heli. Do what Geena does.

I'm going to do just that I'm going to order some parts tomorrow it had one dsmx satellite for the 3GSx. I'm wondering if the ikon needs two or if one is okay and safe.

Tony

Staff member
on a 450, one is okay. The heli is so small that you can't really get far enough away for it to lose signal and there is not really enough material to block the signal. 500 and up I would suggest two though. But with that said, if you have another one, it will not hurt anything to put both on there. Better safe than sorry. Of course that is coming from the guy that is about to maiden a Goblin 380 with the Ikon2 and only 1 satellite lmao.

murankar

Staff member
When I used my sat with my dx6 I mounted my sat on the bottom of the frame with the antenna sticking out the sides.

If you are still flying high the you should have a food view of the sat the whole flight.

Top Bottom