Updating The Forum

Tony

Staff member
Just want to let everyone know that the forum may go down a bit tonight. I'm going to install a new patch to hopefully lower the bandwidth that spammers are using up. Should be down for no more than an hour. If you have any questions, you can email me directly at admin@rc-help.com

RandyDSok

I'm not sure if you got the report I just sent ( the same error was shown after submitting the report )...

I got the following error when marking the forum as read...

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

This is recent, probably after the update you mentioned since it worked fine earlier this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

PS...

BTW... I did try logging out and back in so I cleared my cookie...

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Randy. I tried something new just to give it a go and see how it worked. Every other time I have updated the forum, I would shut the forum down, make my backups then install the update. This time I made my backup and just installed it since it was a minor update. You may have tried to mark forums read when it was updating the files.

If you get the error again, let me know and I will dig a little deeper. But, things should be back to normal now.

Update is done. Let me know if there are any (other) issues that you guys see.

RandyDSok

Ok... just one more bit of info...

I just marked the forum as read successfully from the Forum Actions menu while in a sub-forum area...

So the previous error happened when I first clicked on "New Posts" then after reading a few ... clicking on the "Mark Forum Area" on the end of the upper menu

- - - Updated - - -

PS... all of the above happened within the last 4-5 minutes including the first time I tried it...

- - - Updated - - -

PPS...

Just tried it again... it is still happening in the manner I last mentioned.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Randy, what forum theme are you using? I'm using fire and have been able to recreate the issue. I'm working on it. seems to be something with analytics code that's in the header or headinclude file. Working on it, but need to know what theme you are using.

RandyDSok

I'm using the Green theme...

To describe it step by step...

I enter the forum, click on the "New Posts" link just below the menu that is below the RCH Logo

re...
Forum Home New Posts Private Messages FAQ Calendar Community Forum Actions Quick Links

... then on the end of the same line that comes up... I click the "Mark Forum Read"

re...
New Posts Activity Stream New Group Messages New Events New Articles New Blog Entries Mark Forums Read

- - - Updated - - -

PS...

Same error using the Fire theme as well as the default.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, this seems to be a forum wide issue. I'm working on it. I thought I had the fix, but it didn't work. Now, I'm REALLY having to dig to see what is going on. May close down the forum and reinstall the update to see if it fixes it. But, this will be later.

Question, is it marking the forums read, or is it keeping them and doing nothing?

RandyDSok

It doesn't mark them as read... it does nothing.

I just did another quick test ( there was a new post so I could... ) ... I used the "Forum Actions" version of Mark Forum Read... from the main forum area... and that one works fine. So it is only the one on end of that menu line after you've selected "New Posts"

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, there is one in a pull down menu under Forum Actions that I didn't get the error with. So, this is with the navbar only. There is one other link on the forum to do this that I'm fixing to test now.

BTW, you can click that button even when there are NOT any new posts and if it goes to /forum.php, then it worked. If it gives you the error, then it didn't work. Just so you know you don't have to wait.

Tony

Staff member
Found the issue. It was a LOT smaller than I was looking for lmao. I was looking for a FULL line of code that was bad, and it was just a few characters. Test it out and let me know if it all works.

Found the issue within the navigation manager.

Here is what was in the "Mark Forums Read" under "What's New" or "New Posts"
Code:
forumdisplay.php?{session.sessionurl}do=markread&markreadhash={userinfo.securitytoken}

And here is what is supposed to be in there, as well as what was in teh drop down menu from the "Forum" under "Forum Actions"
Code:
forumdisplay.php?{session.sessionurl}do=markread&markreadhash={bbuserinfo.securitytoken}

Not much difference, but enough to throw an error.

Tony

Staff member
It's actually taking some of hte code out. The & is supposed to be &amp, but the HTML on the forum is doing it's thang lmao. Ah well, it's fixed.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that and the & code was all that was missing lmao. It's always the small things that cause the biggest issues.

Top Bottom