Micro Update on my mCPx no hover uncontrollable to fly

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Video from this morning. As Gaba suggested, I disconnected the main motor and tail motor. I'm looking at a new bird I'd say, this one is never gonna fly. No response from the RMA tickets I placed yesterday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPQDu9lMa-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
I think it is just the board. The servos are responding to what the board is telling them to do. the main and tail motor is spooling up (when they are plugged in) so that just leaves the main 3-1. Give HH a few days. They are a big company and it takes them a while to get through all of the RMA's. It's just a part of being in teh electronic business. Trust me, I have been there lol.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I got this response from my ticket to Horizon Hobby today. I then sent in another ticket on the same issue. All my spare parts are in, all my hyperion batteries have been in for over a week now, and all my brushless conversion parts are in. Just don't have a working heli to fly.

Hello Vince,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

I have watched your video and noticed when you were showing the control tests you were holding the helicopter. This is a flybarless helicopter with a 3 axis gyro. When you give it a command the swash plate will move until the gyro says that that command has been reached, if you hold it in place this will never happen and the controls will not respond accordingly. This is not a fault of the board.

What helicopters were you flying before? You mentioned it was uncontrollable, if you have never flown anything that is flybarless this will appear to be the case as it has no self correcting features, in other words, it goes where you tell it to and will hold that position until you correct it.

Think of it as a ball on a plate, if you give a slight lean to the right (aileron cyclic) the ball will slowly roll to the right until it reaches the edge and falls off, if you give a big control to the right the ball will seemingly slide right off the plate, but in its actually just rolling faster off the side. Flybarless units do not have a self correcting mechanical device to bring the heli back to center (that's what a fly bar does). So to get the ball to stop rolling to the end of the plate, you have to level out the plate (controls) , if you want the ball to return to center (like a heli hovering) you have to roll the plate to the left to return it there. This is what it is like flying flybarless. Its much much more difficult and can seem uncontrollable if you're not use to it. Its benefits make the heli much more responsive and nimbal, but at the cost of easy controllability.

To reply to this e-mail or to place another Horizon Hobby Support Inquiry, please visit our inquiry form. If you are referencing a past request, please include the following ticket number when prompted: 29,218

Don't forget, our phone staff is available at 1-877-504-0233, Monday through Friday, 8am-7pm CST, Saturday 8-5pm CST and Sunday Noon-5PM CST.

Thank you,
Nick
We help YOU have fun with Hobbies!
Horizon Hobby Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, that is exactly what I thought about posted as well. Have you tried taking it outside, setting it on a piece of cardboard and trying to hover it? I'm thinking that may be the issue. Make sure to take your camera out there with you so that if it still is uncontrollable, you get it on video for HH. They will make it right if there is something wrong. being a new pilot, these things will seem very uncontrollable. You should have seen me, Lee, and Gaba when we first started. all over the place just trying to hover it. I thought the same thing you are now in that there has to be something wrong with the heli when in actuality it was all me and my inexperience.

In your sig, I see all CCPM helicopters. Have you thought about getting an mSR-X to help with training? that helicopter helped me more than any other training aid. When I fire up the sim, I tend to "play" and not "train". For this reason, the sim did not help me as much as it could have. It helps me more now than it did when I started. The mSR helped more than anything. It's not as intimidating as a larger heli, or one with a high head speed like the mCP-X.

Give the outside flight with video a shot and let us see what it's doing. If you have to send it back for some reason if there is something wrong, go out and buy an mSR-X and have a blast with it. It's worth the money and you can bind it to the DX6i.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Practice an hour ago with Phoenix. Ground effect was induced on purpose. This is the best I can do right now.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Arclibg2BWI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Arclibg2BWI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Top Bottom