Cars Unique Issue with HobbyWing Max10 SCT 120A - Not the same as all the other issues

Spaceman2021

I have a truggy bought only 3 months ago with a HobbyWing WP MAX10 SCT RTR 120A. Lightly used, not in dirt or water without any problems for the first 3 months.

An issue occurred the other day. I took it out and drove it for 1 minute about 200 meters then the following issue occurred:

Every time the throttle is pressed the car accelerates for 1-2 seconds then auto-brakes with 3 green flashes with 3 beeps and then afterwards flashes red continuously while the throttle is still pressed (no beeping). When the throttle is placed in reverse, the motor doesn't engage, only the 3 green flashes with 3 beeps and then red continuous flashing (no beeping). It seems that there is some protection kicking-in - green flashes are typically overheating - but the car has not been used and is cool everytime I have tried to troubleshoot.

Link to a video of this issue:

This issue occurs with or without a motor. I have done the following to troubleshoot:
-Have used different 3s lipo batteries.
-Tried multiple Rx and Tx's and it is not a receiver or transmitter issue.
-Have recalibrated the throttle each time the Rx/Tx were replaced.
-Made sure that the throttle was dial was on 100% during recalibration (tried in both normal and reverse modes)
-Have reset all the ESC programming to default.
-Have verified all the ESC settings and tried different options.
-Have unplugged all unnecessary cables from the Rx.
-Have reseated all the motor and ESC cables to make sure they connect.
-Have tried another motor and same issue occurs.
-The transmitters have fresh batteries.
-Haven't run the car through water.
-No dirt lodged in the ESC fan or heatsink.
-The ESC is not overheating as this happens when the car is cool.
-The fan on the ESC runs fine. Final point.
-The steering works fine.

Based on all the testing and permutations, this is definitely a problem with the ESC and since it is not so old I guess this is some kind of configuration corruption in the firmware. Hobbywing won't entertain this issue as it is not directly from them and without their specific branding. I know there must be a solution for this as it is almost working....

Tony

Staff member
According to the manual, the read flashing is LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff). Check to see how to lower the LVC in the ESC. I set the LVC to 3.2-3.4 for most applications. If your batteries are old, may have to go a little lower.

Also, check with a volt meter that your batteries are fully charged when you start a run. 3s should be 12.6 volts. Also check each cell, which should be 4.2 fully charged. (unless you have an HV pack).

And because I have seen this before, make sure when you store your batteries, they are at storage charge, and not fully charged or depleted.

Finally, when the batter is plugged in, the ESC should give a series of beeps to announce how many cells you are running. Make sure that announcement is matching the number of cells that are actually in your battery.

Spaceman2021

Hi Tony, I appreciate the quick response. I will check your first recommendation - to set the LVC.

Most of my batteries are new and have been very clinical in storage charge. The ESC beeps 3 times which reflects the 3s lipo's being used.

Will try out the LVC tomorrow. I had reset the ESC to factory default after this started happening.

Spaceman2021

According to the manual, the read flashing is LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff). Check to see how to lower the LVC in the ESC. I set the LVC to 3.2-3.4 for most applications. If your batteries are old, may have to go a little lower.

Also, check with a volt meter that your batteries are fully charged when you start a run. 3s should be 12.6 volts. Also check each cell, which should be 4.2 fully charged. (unless you have an HV pack).

And because I have seen this before, make sure when you store your batteries, they are at storage charge, and not fully charged or depleted.

Finally, when the batter is plugged in, the ESC should give a series of beeps to announce how many cells you are running. Make sure that announcement is matching the number of cells that are actually in your battery.
I am using a 3s and when it's switched on, I get the 3 beeps indicating 3s.

Just tried the following on recommendations:
-Changed the LVC to Disabled, then tried Low (Default is medium)
-Changed the ESC Thermal Protection to High
-Disabled the Motor Thermal Protection (Default was 2 beeps)
-Changed the LiPo Cells from Auto to 3 cell

Unfortunately none of the above works. Appreciate the tips though.

I am sure there is a combination to get this working again.

Top Bottom