General Unable to Fly - First RC Plane

Sm0102

Hi Team,

I tried making my first place but I am unable to fly, need help :

http://rc-help.com/download/RCH_Trainer_V2.pdf (This is what i had used to make one)

I am using the following :

Turnigy (D2830/11 1000 KV) with 8x5 prop
11.1V 25C 2200 mAh 3 cell
FlySky 6 Channel remote

Everything looks good (servos, etc.) and is in place but unfortunately its unable to take off.

I have one more brush less motor - Turnigy (D2826/6 2200 KV) but have not used that - What prop do you recommend if I use this (if you want me to use this)

I personally feel the weight of the place is on heavier side due to 3 cell battery. I had wheels on this but I have taken off thinking it will reduce the weight :(

Please help !!

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

Smoggie

The thing that jumps out is that your prop is too small for the motor on 3s. For that setup you should be running something like a 10x6 prop... So with the smaller prop you would be way down on thrust. Also double check that the prop is not on backward, if you put the prop on backward the plane will still pull forward but with much reduced thrust. Simple rule that's correct in most cases is that the writing on the blades has to face forward. If in doubt, in all cases if you imagine cutting a cross-section through the blade, the more curved face of the blade faces forward and the flatter face goes to the rear.

This of course assumes that you have the plane built and setup correctly, CoG in the right place, controls moving the correct way, battery fully charged etc.

PS.....The other 2200Kv motor would not be well suited to this plane.

Last edited:

Smoggie

PS... There are various online calculators available for selecting motors and props etc however for simplicity i usually use a quick excel calculator that i made myself. I've found to be good enough in most cases. You just input your data in the yellow boxes. There are three different versions depending on what information you start out with but for most cases Calc #1 is the one you want.

The way you would use it in this case is to input your motor Kv and battery cells and then you can play around with different props to find one that makes good use of your motor, typically this would mean uses something like 70-95% of the motor's rated current (your motor is rated 21A i think?)

Attachments

• electric motor calcs.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 19

Derek

I would definitely try the 10x6 prop that was suggested above. I flew the RCH Trainer for many months with a 10x5 and an 1100kv motor. As for your concern about the 3S battery, I wouldn't worry about that at all. I used 3S 2200 packs in my Trainer, as well.

I hope you get it sorted out!

RandyDSok

I would also strongly recommend getting a good flight simulator such as RealFlight or Phoenix... it will save you in the end more than the cost with what you'd spend repairing the airframes you crash

callsign4223

Staff member
I agree with everyone else here, your props too small.

I fly the trainer with a 3s battery also and it has insane power.

bbj

Another thing to check is if the motor is turning in the correct direction cw/ccw. If its turning in the wrong direction you can change any 2 wires from the motor to change direction.

Smoggie

Though it's pretty obvious if you get motor rotation wrong, because the plane will try to fly backward!

Smoggie

Yes, that motor should be fine with a 10x6.. Ideally with any new setup you would put a wattmeter on it to check all was well but failing that give it a short run under full power and check that the motor is not so hot as to be uncomfortable to touch.

Top Bottom