Projects UMX Electronics, what can I make with em?

EyeStation

I had the misfortune of introducing my Micro Gee-Bee to a rather sturdy branch. Needless to say, the amount of styro-glue to repair this one may exceed the weight of the rest of the aircraft.
So, what can I build using the single board Rx/Esc with two attached servos and two external aileron servos?
Has anyone ever tried a micro-lite scratch build? Kinda curious of your suggestions.

Tony

Staff member
You can try to make something about the same size out of foam board. I don't think the electronics can handle anything larger. Try an Edge 540.

EyeStation

I'm trying this on for size. 14' wingspan. about the same nose to tail. Found a plan for 9mm foam and shrunk it 50% with Adobe.
Cut the parts out of cardboard. Original plans had a flat wing. I opted to try the KFM4 that Tony has made me familiar with.
Put all the parts onto the scale with a 2S, 325mAh , 65C battery. 145 grams. Using the same links from the Gee-Bee UMX.
ESC/Rx and aileron servos glued into place so far.
Photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto3.jpgPhoto4.jpgPhoto5.jpgPhoto6.jpgPhoto7.jpgPhoto8.jpgPhoto9.jpgPhoto10.jpgPhoto11.jpg

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo6.jpg

Photo7.jpg

Photo8.jpg

Photo9.jpg

Photo10.jpg

Photo11.jpg

EyeStation

Well, hot glued the motor in temporary like and gave it a thrust check. That prop and motor will not support that weight. Almost puled it up out of my hands, but was working way too hard.
The Foam Board is about double the thickness of this cardboard. Looks like I'll be cutting the parts from that tomorrow and toss them on the scale. Only the 2 ply wing though.

EyeStation

Well I learned a bit since I tried this last. I took the same plans and stuck them onto the dollar tree foamboard. The lightest stuff I had around.
when I powered up the electronics with a 2S 200mAh battery, it was pulling a good hover at about 50% stick.
I'm letting the bottom glue beads set tonight and mounting the UMX brick and servos in.
DSC00210.jpgDSC00211.jpgDSC00212.jpgDSC00213.jpgDSC00214.jpgDSC00215.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

Admiral

I tried building a Micro Stick using the electrics out of a 4Site and the 4Site wings & tail, flew but overly sensitive in the end I just cannibalised the parts for other micros.

EyeStation

[video=youtube_share;skjBPjnKvOs]http://youtu.be/skjBPjnKvOs[/video]
Mounted brick and tail servo horns, connected the rudder. Got the battery set for a COG of 50% of wing.
The above video was shot while holding the camera phone.
Below is a totally hands free hover.
(I will be the first to say how amusing I look trying to do this, so chime in if necessary )
[video=youtube_share;yC3KwcXyps0]http://youtu.be/yC3KwcXyps0[/video]

Top Bottom