Motors Udi 001 venom boats upgrade

What's going on guys, got a few Udi venom 3.7v mini boats that didn't pay much for and they are a lot of fun to run but being 600mah lipos they have junk run time. I figured I would upgrade the electronics a little bit and get a couple of faster motors they currently have 370 brushed motors in them now and being as I've never really been a boat guy, I don't know the first step in what to look for in the electrical portion of this thing as to what would be a solid upgrade I will say it's got a water cooled motor now and I would like to stick to something similar. I would just up and buy a new hobby grade boat but I'm budgeted and my girlfriend likes these boats. Any help on upgrade ideas would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

Staff member
I sure do wish I could help you out, but I'm afraid I have never owned a boat. I think the only one on here that has is Breeze400, who is not on here anymore, or not on here much. I have not seen him in about a year, maybe a little less. No matter the outcome, let us know how it goes.

I will do that tony I thought about putting a 10 turn 540 fireball in it and build a cooling coil with a brushed/brushless esc I've never had telemetry before so I really am lost when it comes down to it.

Tony

Staff member
Really, telemetry is not needed for electrics unless you are talking about something like a 600+ size bird or the like. But if you are like me, it will eat at you until you get it figured out lol.

And a 10 turn would be pretty quick. I would think with a boat (speaking from NO experience), you would want a high KV motor (brushless of course). Check out hobbypartz.com for boat motors that are water cooled as well as hobbyking. Those are probably going to be your cheapest places to get parts.

Thanks tony I've never run brushless lol I've always run 11-10 turn double motors brushed. Been looking into a castle setup for my t4 also brushed

Tony

Staff member
Oh dude, go brushless. More power, longer run time, and no brush/commutator wear! Trust me, DO IT!!! :biggrin1:

I'm going to have to ha ha I'm just not firmiliar with the systems so I don't know what Kv or any of that is I'm still trying to learn lipos lol

Tony

Staff member
KV is a calculation of RPM Per Volt. So if you are running a 3s pack, it's going to run between 11.1vDC and 12.6cDC. You just take that number (usually the larger one) and multiply it by the KV rating and that will give you the motor spindle speed.

Never used a dynamite fuze system but it's water proof with a 4500 Kv micro brushless so it maybe the best fit for a 13" boat specially since it's very limited to battery size

Tony

Staff member
If it were me, I would really be looking for a water cooled motor. If your boat houses the motor inside where it can get no airflow, you will need some way to cool it down when running.

They make water jackets for brushless motors for boat use you slide the motor in the jacket and hook up the water lines

Suppose to be as affective as a marine motor at heat dissipation and if I do a water cooled esc I should be good starting to rethink my esc motor choice the boat is only 13.7 inches long so to much power and she will skip rather then launch and glide

Reaper8496

Any update on this? I was wondering the same thing on the possible upgrades for my venom as well. I have been looking for a brushless water cooled motor for my boat and everything I am finding is either too large in size for the boats compartment, or it has 3 wires coming off the motor. Where my current motor is only 2 wire. Is there a way to adapt the 3 wire motor to a 2 wire connector in my setup?

Top Bottom