Projects TX Conversion to 2.5 nhz

Oldensly

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies. I have a question, somewhere I read that it is possible to convert the older 72mhz TX's to 2.5 using the RF section of a donor TX. Does anyone know anything about this????

RandyDSok

You'd just be using the shell, switches and gimbals of the old transmitters since you'd have to have changed out the electronics and antenna so you could go to 2.4Ghz... that's saying you could get the new electronics to fit within the old shell and find a place to mount the screen so you could still program the electronics etc. That's still assuming the potentiality's of the old electronics are using the same resistances as new ones would... along with other possible concerns or incompatibilities.

Not to mention that the old receivers would still not work with the new transmitter electronics.

Oldensly

Thank you, you have perceived exactly what I had in mind. It seems a shame to waste all the good parts of the TX. I am not concerned about the screen because I am too old fashioned to learn how to program a computer radio! I get frustrated quickly when the confounded things keep telling me how stupid I am. Age 79 leaves a lot of dead grey matter!

RandyDSok

The 2.4Gh radios are tied to the computer portion... putting them into another case will not change how they are meant to work and the screen is just as important. It just doesn't make sense in the end once you understand the differences in the electronics. ( ie analog vs digital etc ).

My Dad ( now 85 yrs old ) still has his 72Mhz radios ( also JR's ) and uses them on a couple of planes... but he also has a couple of digital 2.4Ghz radios also which he uses in others.

Top Bottom